Join Early Retirement Today

Argentina and/or Chile?
Old 06-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Argentina and/or Chile?

We are thinking of exploring either or both countries this November - April and thought I’d check and see if anyone has traveled or retired there to give some insight and tips. We realize both have the weather variances depending on where you are, but since the idea was to escape Virginia’s winter, we would most likely prefer to spend more time in the warmer climate and not spend more than a couple of weeks at a time in the colder areas.

Specific questions include:

- if we rented an apartment for a month to practice our Spanish, experience the local vibes and maybe some tango with local wine, where would you recommend we stay?

- we understand flying is better than long range bus trips...true?

- we like to hike and depending on climate, would probably like to do a few two nite hikes. Any experiences?

- would it make sense to see both countries in 4 - 5 months or just so one?
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 04:27 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We took a 15 day photography tour in Patagonia a year ago April, so saw Chile and Argentina. Our favorite places were Patagonia National Park, El Chalten, and Torres del Paine. 4-5 months is plenty for both. Argentina has a very favorable exchange rate just now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1213-22FB.jpg (556.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1263FB 2.jpg (645.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow! Amazing pictures! If reality looks as good as your pictures, then I definitely want to go!
Old 06-30-2019, 07:53 AM   #4

I would do both> I have attached a copy of our trip story
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SOUTH AMERICA 2014 short.pdf (1.59 MB, 52 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
We took a 15 day photography tour in Patagonia a year ago April, so saw Chile and Argentina. Our favorite places were Patagonia National Park, El Chalten, and Torres del Paine. 4-5 months is plenty for both. Argentina has a very favorable exchange rate just now.

Wow! Love the pics!
Old 06-30-2019, 01:13 PM   #6

@ Souschef, really enjoyed your photos and descriptions of your cruise and land excursions around South America, and how even cruise-sponsored land excursions can get so totally messed up. I will be leaving next week for a small group tour of Peru and Ecuador; perhaps someday I will spring for a major cruise such as yours.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
@ Souschef, really enjoyed your photos and descriptions of your cruise and land excursions around South America, and how even cruise-sponsored land excursions can get so totally messed up. I will be leaving next week for a small group tour of Peru and Ecuador; perhaps someday I will spring for a major cruise such as yours.
I hope you will be going to Macchu Pichu. It is an experience. If you are going by train from Cuzco, sit on the left hand side so you can look down at the river. All you see from the right hand side is stone.
I do not know if you are going out to the Galapagos. I really enjoyed that trip.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I hope you will be going to Macchu Pichu. It is an experience. If you are going by train from Cuzco, sit on the left hand side so you can look down at the river. All you see from the right hand side is stone.
I do not know if you are going out to the Galapagos. I really enjoyed that trip.
Yes, I will be going to both Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands. Thanks for the tip about the train.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #9

@DrRoy, wow, I would wall-mount that 2nd picture!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkeley View Post
Wow! Amazing pictures! If reality looks as good as your pictures, then I definitely want to go!
Fantastic images.. I've been there and indeed it does.. (Parque Nacional Torres Del Paine)
mabuhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I would do both> I have attached a copy of our trip story

Well, you’ve inspired us! Booked a cruise from Miami to Santiago, then another one from Santiago to Antarctica to Buenos Aires. If we like cruising (and don’t gain too much weight), then we might book another cruise from Buenos Aires to Miami to circumnavigate South America. Now it’s just planning the rest of our 4 month trip!
Old 08-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkeley View Post
We are thinking of exploring either or both countries this November - April and thought I’d check and see if anyone has traveled or retired there to give some insight and tips. We realize both have the weather variances depending on where you are, but since the idea was to escape Virginia’s winter,...................

- we understand flying is better than long range bus trips...true?
I agree that a bus trip from Virginia to either would be excessively long.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

jeanie and I live vicariously through souschef's travels, but are content living here in Peru.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I agree that a bus trip from Virginia to either would be excessively long.

Well, since we are retired, I guess time isn’t the issue...but since a bus can’t get to Antarctica, maybe we’ll just do the cruise [emoji12]