Join Early Retirement Today

Arizona in April?
Old 10-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Arizona in April?

Thinking of making a week trip to Arizona next April. We will fly to/from Phoenix.

What's the weather like in mid-April? I assume it's starting to get hot in central/southern parts. Probably still pretty cool in Flagstaff.

We plan on staying in Sedona a day or two. Any suggestion on where to stay?

We won't be doing the Grand Canyon since we've been there a few times already.

What other parts of the state do you think we should see? We don't hike. We love to drive pretty scenic byways and walk downtown areas of small towns. Maybe do a little shopping.

Thanks.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 01:27 PM   #2

The weather should be very nice in April, no rain and warm, not hot.

Our go to in Sedona is The Lodge at Sedona, (no children), will put you in the Sedona frame of mind.

East of PHX is the Apache trail, a true western experience, lunch at Tortilla Flat.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/apache-tra...-drive-2681529

Dinner on the way back to PHX try Gilbert AZ Heritage district.

https://www.discovergilbert.com/heritagedistrict/
Old 10-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not AZ expert, but reside here. April is generally nice in most of AZ. For scenic drives, I like:
- Sedona to Flagstaff (89A North)
- Sedona to Payson and then onto showlow (highway 260 E)
- There are some nice little towns near cottonwood (like Jerome).
- Antelope canyon (too sunny for my taste, but most people love it).

If old historic towns are interesting to you, then southern Arizona has places like TombStone, Bisbee.. and then if you go an hour or so east.. places like Kartchner Caverns.
yhoomajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How much driving do you want to do?

From Sedona to Flagstaff up to Page and the Grand staircase, Glen Canyon going to Kanab Ut is one sweet drive. Kanab is a nice town, so is Page and some decent places to stay at Lake Powell.

I want you all to notice I got them routed into Utah ......but I love Kanab have stayed there multiple times. We've done this trip with a drive and drop starting in PHX and dropping the car in SGU..it might be doable in a mid April time frame...Easter is April 4 in 21.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #5

I’m in Sedona right now. Weather is very cool and nice. It’s probably been 30 years since I was last here. Boy, is it developed, commercialized, and packed. They’ve got traffic circles everywhere that I assume are designed to flow traffic well, but actually seem to stack up traffic horribly.
The area is of course beautiful. Which is why it’s so crowded. Infrastructure just can’t cope. Hiking is wonderful although trails are packed. But you say that’s not your thing. Lots of shops. Probably fun if you like that sorta thing. Certainly good for buying new age crystals and healing stones or whatever. Sounds like a deal.
As mentioned, the drive between Flagstaff and Sedona on 89A is nice as it goes through the Oak Creek Canyon I think it’s called. Have fun.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How much driving do you want to do?

From Sedona to Flagstaff up to Page and the Grand staircase, Glen Canyon going to Kanab Ut is one sweet drive. Kanab is a nice town, so is Page and some decent places to stay at Lake Powell.

I want you all to notice I got them routed into Utah ......but I love Kanab have stayed there multiple times. We've done this trip with a drive and drop starting in PHX and dropping the car in SGU..it might be doable in a mid April time frame...Easter is April 4 in 21.
I'm getting old, so no more than 3-4 hours a day driving. For this trip probably wanting to stay Sedona to the South. We did 89A North / Grand Canyon / Page / Kanab a couple of years ago. Nice drive. I plan on doing more of Utah on another trip.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post

Our go to in Sedona is The Lodge at Sedona, (no children), will put you in the Sedona frame of mind.

East of PHX is the Apache trail, a true western experience, lunch at Tortilla Flat.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhoomajor View Post
I'm not AZ expert, but reside here. April is generally nice in most of AZ. For scenic drives, I like:
- Sedona to Flagstaff (89A North)
- Sedona to Payson and then onto showlow (highway 260 E)
- There are some nice little towns near cottonwood (like Jerome).
- Antelope canyon (too sunny for my taste, but most people love it).

If old historic towns are interesting to you, then southern Arizona has places like TombStone, Bisbee.. and then if you go an hour or so east.. places like Kartchner Caverns.
Thanks.

What about the drive 89A West from Sedona? Is that a nice scenic drive?
Old 10-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
I'm getting old, so no more than 3-4 hours a day driving. For this trip probably wanting to stay Sedona to the South. We did 89A North / Grand Canyon / Page / Kanab a couple of years ago. Nice drive. I plan on doing more of Utah on another trip.
Getting old..I hear you. And the thing that made our last Kanab trip so fun, was not having to backtrack with the rental car.

I've never done South of Sedona so I'll be reading
Old 10-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I’m in Sedona right now. Weather is very cool and nice. It’s probably been 30 years since I was last here. Boy, is it developed, commercialized, and packed. They’ve got traffic circles everywhere that I assume are designed to flow traffic well, but actually seem to stack up traffic horribly.
The area is of course beautiful. Which is why it’s so crowded. Infrastructure just can’t cope. Hiking is wonderful although trails are packed. But you say that’s not your thing. Lots of shops. Probably fun if you like that sorta thing. Certainly good for buying new age crystals and healing stones or whatever. Sounds like a deal.
As mentioned, the drive between Flagstaff and Sedona on 89A is nice as it goes through the Oak Creek Canyon I think it’s called. Have fun.
I remember the traffic circles when we drove through (didn't stay) a couple of years ago. One major traffic jam. That's one reason why we'd like to stay put a couple of days there. It was hard to enjoy the scenery stuck in traffic.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Haven't done Sedona in 15 years it's my understanding timeshare have exploded in Sedona.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Thinking of making a week trip to Arizona next April. We will fly to/from Phoenix.

What's the weather like in mid-April? I assume it's starting to get hot in central/southern parts. Probably still pretty cool in Flagstaff.

We plan on staying in Sedona a day or two. Any suggestion on where to stay?

We won't be doing the Grand Canyon since we've been there a few times already.

What other parts of the state do you think we should see? We don't hike. We love to drive pretty scenic byways and walk downtown areas of small towns. Maybe do a little shopping.

Thanks.
April should be nice although could be hot in Phoenix between noon and 4 pm. Evenings and nights are cool. Sedona will be busy and if you haven't been, Crescent Moon Ranch picnic area is beautiful and relaxing. For a good introduction to technically difficult off-roading, I'd suggest the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour. Unless you have serious back issues, it's a lot of fun especially since you aren't hikers.

It's a little quieter in The Village of Oak Creek just to the south. The Village has some good lodging and restaurants. Old town Cottonwood is worth a visit as is Jerome if you haven't been before. After Jerome, you could do the rte 89a drive over the summit of Mingus Mountain - twisty mountain road but enjoyable. Take in downtown Prescott - Whiskey Row is interesting.

Before you leave Phoenix, if you have time, a drive through South Mountain Park and up the summit drive is a great way to take in the expanse of the Valley of the Sun. If you are into architecture, Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West makes for a great tour. You might also spend some time wandering through and perhaps having lunch at the Arizona Biltmore Hotel. If you go to the Desert Botanical Garden, best to do it in the morning when it's cooler.

I think one of the best natural attractions in the south of the state is Karchner Caverns. I would also recommend a night in Bisbee at one of the old hotels. I suppose Tombstone is also worth a short visit. Near Tucson, the Saguaro National Park is truly unique. Take a picnic lunch to enjoy among the giant cacti.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
April should be nice although could be hot in Phoenix between noon and 4 pm. Evenings and nights are cool. Sedona will be busy and if you haven't been, Crescent Moon Ranch picnic area is beautiful and relaxing. For a good introduction to technically difficult off-roading, I'd suggest the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour. Unless you have serious back issues, it's a lot of fun especially since you aren't hikers.

It's a little quieter in The Village of Oak Creek just to the south. The Village has some good lodging and restaurants. Old town Cottonwood is worth a visit as is Jerome if you haven't been before. After Jerome, you could do the rte 89a drive over the summit of Mingus Mountain - twisty mountain road but enjoyable. Take in downtown Prescott - Whiskey Row is interesting.

Before you leave Phoenix, if you have time, a drive through South Mountain Park and up the summit drive is a great way to take in the expanse of the Valley of the Sun. If you are into architecture, Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West makes for a great tour. You might also spend some time wandering through and perhaps having lunch at the Arizona Biltmore Hotel. If you go to the Desert Botanical Garden, best to do it in the morning when it's cooler.

I think one of the best natural attractions in the south of the state is Karchner Caverns. I would also recommend a night in Bisbee at one of the old hotels. I suppose Tombstone is also worth a short visit. Near Tucson, the Saguaro National Park is truly unique. Take a picnic lunch to enjoy among the giant cacti.
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will look into them.

I'm afraid Jeep tours are out. Had 3 level cervical spine surgery less than a year ago. Even cars rides get painful if too lengthy.

I might look into the Frank Lloyd Wright house. I've been to a couple and spent the night in his only skyscraper (Bartlesville, OK).

We'll try to find time for the National Park. We've been to most of them and love checking out new ones.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post

I lived is Arizona for about 40 years. I second eveerything above and what everyone has said. I always liked teh drive up the Salt River Canyon too.

Depending on your interests:
- The boneyard at Davis Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson (if into airplanes/military), also Pima Air Museum
- The Titan Missile Museum south of Tucson (cold war history)
- Numerous national monuments with Anasazi and other ruins
- Petrified Forest and Painted Desert
- Meteor Crater
- Monument Valley on the Navajo reservation.
- Fort Huachuca, an active US Army Base but started as a cavalry outpos and has a lot of history to be seen.
- If you are into western history the current Union Pacific rail line paralleling I-10 was a route favored by the confederacy to maintain access to the west coast to sell cotton to China.
- Dos Cabezas was the camp for surveying the Gadsden Purchase.
- and of course, about 300 miles of Route 66!

If you tell us what your interests might be then we can provide more custom suggestions.

April is a great time to visit!
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Glen Canyon...
Lake Powell, which is backed up by the Glen Canyon Dam is only about a third full. It might be an incredible sight. It was finally filled in 1980. In 1983 they had to open all the spillways and power tunnels and were still worried about it overtopping and failing! I think as recently as a few years ago the lake was full but now it is an opportunity to see the effect of the severe drought affecting the West.

Edit: typos
Old 10-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm afraid Jeep tours are out. Had 3 level cervical spine surgery less than a year ago. Even cars rides get painful if too lengthy.
If bumpy roads are a problem make sure you do your research. A lot of roads in Arizona are gravel. Someone mentioned the Apache Trail. It has been a long time since I was on it but it was dirt and a little rough at the time.