As travelers we are all lucky to speak English

alan said:
I've met so few New Zealanders that I don't think that I could tell the difference. Back in 1979 we went on vacation to Ireland, and at a beauty spot on the Ring of Kerry I thought I had met my first ever Americans but when I asked what part of the USA they were from I got a very agitated "We are Canadians!!".
I am taking a Spanish class with a New Zealander. I would say that they are easier to pick out than any of the others (except Canucks).

Granted, it was 25 years ago, but when I was living in Geneva (with France at the city limits in almost every direction) I was amazed at the amount of goodwill still remaining after WWII. Folks, sometimes strangers, "d'un certain âge" often approached me to tell me exactly when and where they were when liberated by U.S. forces. They generally knew the name of the company. It was very touching, and made history much more real and personal for me.

Funny you guys have so much time distinguishing between Aussie, Kiwi and Saffa accents. As an Aussie, to me, these accents are so distinct that it seems unreal that anyone could not tell the difference. I think Aussies are much more nasal than the others. Kiwis, just ask them to say six (sounds like sex) and fish and chips (fush & chips). Saffas are more formal sounding, their choice of words is structured more formally.

Learning to speak spanish has been a bit of an obsession of mine for the past couple of years. One of the most rewarding outcomes of it has been the ability to connect with people during my travels - to interact with random people in shops, taxis and in the streets.

The people abroad who can speak english will of course aproach an obviously foreign-looking person (to sell you something or whatever). I find that the people who don't speak any english generally are so happy to talk to me. Maybe because they don't normally speak to tourists they enjoy telling their stories.

I've really enjoy breaking out of the pre-packaged tourist bubble when I can.

Funny you guys have so much time distinguishing between Aussie, Kiwi and Saffa accents. As an Aussie, to me, these accents are so distinct that it seems unreal that anyone could not tell the difference. I think Aussies are much more nasal than the others. Kiwis, just ask them to say six (sounds like sex) and fish and chips (fush & chips). Saffas are more formal sounding, their choice of words is structured more formally.

I have no problems recognizing a saffa accent as I've heard many. With the kiwis I can tell them apart on those videos I found and I guess I'll be able to tell them apart for the next few months until I forget what the kiwi accent sounds like :whistle: For me it's all a matter of being exposed enough to the accents I think.

Learning to speak spanish has been a bit of an obsession of mine for the past couple of years. One of the most rewarding outcomes of it has been the ability to connect with people during my travels - to interact with random people in shops, taxis and in the streets.

The people abroad who can speak english will of course aproach an obviously foreign-looking person (to sell you something or whatever). I find that the people who don't speak any english generally are so happy to talk to me. Maybe because they don't normally speak to tourists they enjoy telling their stories.

I've really enjoy breaking out of the pre-packaged tourist bubble when I can.

4 years ago I was traveling on business and I always like to attempt the local language when I can - in my experience the effort is usually well appreciated. One day I was traveling from Spain to France and at lunch in Madrid I concentrated really hard and correctly ordered food at a carry out place. Later that day in Lille railway station I didn't concentrate as hard since I know a lot more French than Spanish. I intended to order a chocolate croissant and a cup of coffee. When I got the end of the line where you pick up your order I received 3 cups of hot chocolate :LOL: (I said nothing, just behaved as if it was exactly what I wanted ;) )

alan, sometimes all you need is a point of reference. If you were talking with myself and a Kiwi at the same time I am sure you would immediately pick the difference between the two of us.

I've met so few New Zealanders that I don't think that I could tell the difference.

Never in our wildest dreams did we expect to move to Texas 8 years later :)
Grew up with a bunch of them. It was a pretty extreme accent to me - but I think some of it rubbed off. My accent was probably more Australian though.

But living in TX all my adult life, I lost the "exotic" accent and everyone has me pegged as a southerner now (but a southerner from where? - that they can't tell).

I though my DH (native texan) had a pretty strong TX accent when I first met him. But I don't hear it at all know. :confused:

Audrey

I have always associated the "wear a Canadian Flag on your backpack and you'll be ok" with the stereotypical 20-something American who spent a summer during or after college backpacking from hostel to hostel in Europe (or SE Asia), hanging out with mostly 20-something backpacking westerners of very similar mindset. I just assumed these people thought it was cooler to be from somewhere that wasn't big bad US of A.

Most of the time yes but...

A work friend of mine and his wife were in the Congo, looking a Gorillas in a park (I believe the same spot as Gorillas in the Mist ). Their entire expedition was captured by local rebels. The SOB sorted them by nationality and hacked my friends, another American couple, and British couple to death with machetes. I guess they are execution weapon of choice in Central Africa :mad:. The rebels eventually released the Canadians and other Europeans. The Canadians interviewed afterword were sure it was purely a nationality issue.

I'll certainly travel with a Canada flag if I was going to any place potentially dangerous.

On a whim I Googled the incident. I got a few facts wrong it was 2 British couples and my friends, and New Zealand couple who were killed. But the good news is they actually caught the SOBs responsible and put them on trial. But still at least in this case it wasn't good for travelers to speak English... :(

That's what I mean though man, of all the bad stuff that can happen to travelers if you made a pie graph of them things like "getting hacked by rebels while looking at wild gorillas because you spoke English" wouldn't even be visible.

Is it worth sewing a Canadian flag on for it?

The overwhelming number of problems to travelers involve things that will happen whether you're French, English, or Czech. Things like getting robbed, being a vehicle accident, getting food poisoning, etc.

Wow - why was the New Zealand couple targeted?

Of course - it never makes sense. Ultimately it's the whim of the insurgent and whatever world view they hold at the time.

Gosh - that's just horrible. But there are definitely parts of the world I don't intend to travel to unless things change drastically in certain countries. If you live long enough, they eventually do.

Audrey

Audrey, I am with you. There are parts of the world that I would never consider going because of the security aspect. For me, I'll probably never step foot in Africa, too many issues with diseases, civil war and the anti-white sentiment.

Audrey, I am with you. There are parts of the world that I would never consider going because of the security aspect. For me, I'll probably never step foot in Africa, too many issues with diseases, civil war and the anti-white sentiment.
Make that 3 of us. I've had a fair amount of "education" about foreign countries and what can befall visitors of the "wrong" national origin. I'll pass on the exotic places also.
Limiting myself to US and Canada for fun travel is fine by me at this point. :flowers:

That's what I mean though man, of all the bad stuff that can happen to travelers if you made a pie graph of them things like "getting hacked by rebels while looking at wild gorillas because you spoke English" wouldn't even be visible.

Is it worth sewing a Canadian flag on for it?

Statistically, I am sure you are right. But Rob was a much nicer less aggressive person than and I am, so I figure if he couldn't talk his way out of the situation, my only chance would be sprinkle in a few "eh" while talking about hockey, while displaying my Maple Leaf. I'll probably stick to the adhesive ones.

Wow - why was the New Zealand couple targeted?

Of course - it never makes sense. Ultimately it's the whim of the insurgent and whatever world view they hold at the time.

Gosh - that's just horrible. But there are definitely parts of the world I don't intend to travel to unless things change drastically in certain countries. If you live long enough, they eventually do.

Audrey

The dangerous places Cambodia, Solomon Islands, Israel even Bali are some of the more interesting places. Burma, Tanzania, and Malawi are on my list of place to go someday.. You are right if you wait long enough you can go when the are less dangerous, I went to the Solomon Islands between periodic coups, and I hope to do the same thing in Fiji.

Well I have family living in Fiji, so if you need to check it out before hand, let me know. I don't think they would be there at present if they didn't feel it was safe enough.

Audrey

I have family living in Cambodia, and other than the occasional kidnappings, middle-off-the-night burglary/mass murders, highway robberies, high motor vehicle deaths, and land mines everywhere, it is a beautiful, tranquil, peaceful country. Just watch your back...

I have been told that people there have no problem murdering somebody and/or their whole family just to rob them of their $500 moped.

Cool, the periodic coups in Fiji don't seem to affect tourist, but I'll definitely check with you/them on recommendations.

I am guessing the New Zealand were killed cause their flag looks a lot like the UK's. Kiwi's are lot like Canadians, they hate to be mistaken for their louder more embarrassing neighbors so everyone I've met always has flag or two. :)

I have family living in Cambodia, and other than the occasional kidnappings, middle-off-the-night burglary/mass murders, highway robberies, high motor vehicle deaths, and land mines everywhere, it is a beautiful, tranquil, peaceful country. Just watch your back...

I have been told that people there have no problem murdering somebody and/or their whole family just to rob them of their $500 moped.

I really liked Cambodia, although poverty is just heart wrenching. I never felt threatened there, but I've always been a bit paranoid about dealing with officials in communist/former communist country. Russia in 1989 was particularly intimidating.

What the heck is your family doing there?

I really liked Cambodia, although poverty is just heart wrenching. I never felt threatened there, but I've always been a bit paranoid about dealing with officials in communist/former communist country. Russia in 1989 was particularly intimidating.

What the heck is your family doing there?

It's my wife's extended family and my newly minted sister-in-law's family. What are they doing? Subsistence rice farming and occasionally sneaking into Thailand to work in a "sweatshop" or in construction or in a janitorial role. :D

Usually money is an effective lubricant for officials.

Back
Top Bottom