Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Assistance in planning air/rail component - US, London, Amsterdam, Cruise, Italy?
Old 05-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Assistance in planning air/rail component - US, London, Amsterdam, Cruise, Italy?

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone has already executed something like our plan for Sep-Oct of this year.

We want to sandwich a river cruise between a quick visit with friends who live an hour south of London, and connecting up with another couple in Monopoli, IT. Our itinerary would look something like:

- Depart from Pensacola, FL or Dallas (children live there)
- Arrive London area (more flight options with LHR, but LGW is closer to our friends house - four nights or so there
- Depart London area via air or rail to Amsterdam (we love rail travel (7 hours) but looks like would need to go back into London to catch Eurostar?) - LGW is close and likely has lots of flights to Amsterdam, I think
- We join the boat in Amsterdam and a few days later get off in Basel, then bused to Lucerne for a couple of days as part of the cruise
- Depart Lucerne (air options?) to get to Brindisi (closet airport to Monopoli) and take train or bus to Monopoli area?
- Couple of weeks around Monopoli then probably drive to Naples
- Depart from Naples via air back to US, or perhaps train to Rome for better connectivity?

No airline can put all this together, and even if they did it would be a bit clunky?

Absolute cost is not a factor - so, could do things like train from Naples to Rome, stay at the Hilton (airport) a night and walk to the terminal.

Thanks for your thoughts!
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2023, 08:51 PM   #2

The train from London to Amsterdam might be a bit too long, even though going through the chunnel is a fun experience.

I suspect that flying will be easier, especially from Lucerne to Italy.

I’ve had great luck with low cost European airlines. I would spend some time with Google flights to see what’s available for your dates. I suspect it won’t be too hard to piece together a few one way flights for your trip.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
How about a Transatlantic cruise for the return trip ?

Could possibly leave from Rome (actually the port near it, that I cannot spell). or some other IT port ?
Old 05-05-2023, 11:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm finding more and more that round trip tickets are rather pointless.

I would piece it together as a bunch of sets of one way tickets.

Doing it piece meal also will get you a better overall price, for two reasons: First, most airlines are not very accommodative of multiple stop overs (like you would have in London and for the cruise and in Monopoli. Second, when using Google Flights or any similar search engine to do such a multi-city route, Google Flights will limit itself to a carrier who can provide service on all segments of the route.

If you split it up, you might find that United or American or Delta can get you across the ocean to London pretty well, but you'll probably find (like another poster mentioned) that the intra-European transfers can be done cheaply on RyanAir or similar.

Also, I love Rome2Rio for things like this. You can try it for the transatlantic route too, but be aware that it will use budget airlines which are bare bones service. Many here would not be OK with no checked bags, a 10kg carryon, and essentially basic economy type service. Anyway, R2R will probably give you very good info on the European legs.

Rome2Rio will also give you varying combinations of cheapest, fastest, and "best", while listing all travel mode options (train, ferry, bus, air, etc.).
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I'm finding more and more that round trip tickets are rather pointless.

I agree. More often than not, I look for the cheapest non-stop round trip ticket to get me to Europe and then buy separate tickets when there. Usually that means I’m flying into London, which is a great jumping off spot to other places in Europe.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:11 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

You could try https://www.eurotravelcoach.com/. It's run by my sister and her husband. They do all that.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #7

If you've never taken the Eurostar train, it is a wonderful experience.

You do have to go into London and the security/border set up post Brexit is a mess. It would almost certainly be faster and cheaper to fly LGW to Amsterdam.

But from a YOLO perspective, the Eurostar is really cool. We've taken it four times over the years and every time I find it very pleasant and am glad we did it. Ours were short routes, 3x between London and Paris and once between London and Brussels.

Enjoy the trip!
Old 05-06-2023, 02:55 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone has already executed something like our plan for Sep-Oct of this year.

We want to sandwich a river cruise between a quick visit with friends who live an hour south of London, and connecting up with another couple in Monopoli, IT. Our itinerary would look something like:

- Depart from Pensacola, FL or Dallas (children live there)
- Arrive London area (more flight options with LHR, but LGW is closer to our friends house - four nights or so there
- Depart London area via air or rail to Amsterdam (we love rail travel (7 hours) but looks like would need to go back into London to catch Eurostar?) - LGW is close and likely has lots of flights to Amsterdam, I think
- We join the boat in Amsterdam and a few days later get off in Basel, then bused to Lucerne for a couple of days as part of the cruise
- Depart Lucerne (air options?) to get to Brindisi (closet airport to Monopoli) and take train or bus to Monopoli area?
- Couple of weeks around Monopoli then probably drive to Naples
- Depart from Naples via air back to US, or perhaps train to Rome for better connectivity?

No airline can put all this together, and even if they did it would be a bit clunky?

Absolute cost is not a factor - so, could do things like train from Naples to Rome, stay at the Hilton (airport) a night and walk to the terminal.

Thanks for your thoughts!
I would be temped to fly to Gatwick. Then catch a flight to Amsterdam. We prefer Gatwick. Less busy. We avoid LHR like the plague IF we are changing planes/terminals. LHR, in our experience, seems to have more security alerts....delays.

IF you select Gatwick , and need to stay overnight (early flight, etc,) we recommend the Premier Inn The one that is right beside Gatwick terminal. across the road and attached as I recall. Pays to book in advance. We always get the dinner and buffet breakfast combo option that you can buy when booking.

Train into Amsterdam direct from AMS airport. Extremely convenient.

You may need to go to Zurich for air to Monopoli BUT I might choose a slightly longer rail trip if I liked rail and the schedule worked.

Luzern to Milan! Or some other destination like Venice, Rome. ryv/ Then air to Brindisi. A day or two in Milan, Venice, Rome, etc would not go amiss. So many great options available to you.

Take a look at rome2rio.com. For iItalian rail try Trenitalia. Don't book rail on any of those third party shyster sites that look official but inflate fares.
Book direct with the in country railway.

So many options once you are in Luzern. Try to spend some time in Luzern. One of our fav. cities. Visit Mt. Pilatus and/ or cruise the lake to Kastanienbaum, etc. Or go into Zurich for the day..a very short train ride. And for jewelry stores.....walk through Bucherers!

Sounds like a great trip. Pack light. If you are on Italian rail keep a close eye on your bags and be leery of any little station helpers who offer to help you on to the train with your bags.

We go to Europe fairly often. We seldom buy return tickets to the same airports. Not unusal for us to fly into Athens and then direct home from London or Paris or some other gateway that has good scheds/pricing. We are in the middle of pricing air to the Azores and Lisbon. Then air to Morocco. And home through Paris. We will only book the Azores and the Paris return. The other flights will be done on the fly so to speak. We are fairly spontaneous travellers. We know two things. When we want to leave, and when we want to come home. Everything in between is subject to change during oru 7 or 8 week trip.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

DB is based in Amsterdam and always flies when he needs to be in England.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:23 PM   #10

Our friends to the south of London have recommended leaving for the cruise boat a day earlier - be in Amsterdam night before - if taking train. Apparently they are always concerned about train strikes. Gives enough time to try and find another way.

Interesting question - anyone have an idea what happens if one misses their boat departure for river cruise? Just need to get the next stopping point to pick it up?

Anyone stay overnight in London near St Pancras - recommendation? Could train from near our friends' place, spend the night and take early (a bit about 6 am) Eurostar.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Amsterdam is a lovely city so spending an extra day or two there can be very rewarding.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:35 PM   #12

Yes, it is.

We've spent about five days there, previously.

Kuekenhof, canals, even the Concertkebouw - pretty incredible!
Old 05-11-2023, 10:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Wish I had visited the Concertgebouw. We were in Amsterdam for 2 months even. I missed a chance to see these guys (Dutch brothers), but that particular day shortly after our arrival was very very complicated.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Our friends to the south of London have recommended leaving for the cruise boat a day earlier - be in Amsterdam night before - if taking train. Apparently they are always concerned about train strikes. Gives enough time to try and find another way.

Interesting question - anyone have an idea what happens if one misses their boat departure for river cruise? Just need to get the next stopping point to pick it up?

For any cruise I like to be in the same city the night prior.

As for missing the boat on a river cruise, didn't happen to us, but we were told if it did happen to phone them and then get to the next stop down the river.
Kind of reassuring for when we went off exploring.

On our river cruise the boat started in a city, but stayed overnight as some people arrived the 2nd day, we didn't leave the starting city until after supper.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:22 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out the overnight ferry from England to the Netherlands.....Save on hotel, get a nice cabin and you can rail to Harwick....and rail from Hook of Holland to Amsterdam to get on/off the ferry.

https://www.stenaline.co.uk/routes/h...ook-of-holland

Also, someone mentioned a trans Atlantic cruise for one way across the pond. We've done that several times and it's the greatest way to depart or arrive in Europe....In our opinion.

Enjoy
FlaMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:54 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Maybe, but my Amsterdammer relatives laughed at the idea of the ferry when I mentioned it once. They probably thought it took way too long and was more expensive than flying which was super cheap.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Why waste your time and a day of your vacation on a ferry from the UK to Holland when you can fly?

Fly. Save money, save time. Spend that time in Amsterdam, Luzurn, etc.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:22 PM   #18

Getting tighter in the schedule desires!

We just added a Navy airplane reunion in Maine, so:
- Fly Florida to Boston
- Drive to Maine and stay give days
- Drive back to Boston and maybe Jet Blue to LGW?
- Stay in UK with friends for five days who live about 30 min from LGW
- Train into London and stay overnight prior to departure on Eurostar
- Eurostar to Amsterdam the day prior to cruise departure
- Cruise departure from Amsterdam
- Cruise arrival Basel
- Bus to Lucerne for two nights (part of "cruise")
- Train to Zurich and stay close to/at airport - we lived the Hilton to Rome Intl walk into terminal ... anyone done this in Zurich
- Fly Zurich to Brindisi to join friends in Monopoli (rent car maybe)
- Couple more stops including three nights in Naples
- Train to Rome for better connections to US than from Naples? (friends returning from Naples, but they have better connections to Denver)

Thoughts? Recommendations on flow?
Old 05-28-2023, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
- Train to Zurich and stay close to/at airport - we lived the Hilton to Rome Intl walk into terminal ... anyone done this in Zurich
I happen to like Zurich, so I would plan a night or two there. It's only 10 minutes from the Bahnhof to the airport.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:52 PM   #20

If you are staying in Naples, I'd seriously suggest a day trip to Capri. Maybe wait in line for the Blue Grotto or take the chairlift to the top of Mount Salerno. Getting to Rome from Naples by high speed train is fast and easy. Besides Trenitalia, there is also Italo which has high speed service. High speed rail from Naples to Rome Termini takes about 70 minutes. Our Italo train was cruising part of the way at 300 km/hr! Remember that white taxis from Roma termini have a fixed rate to FCO of only 50 euros.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote