At what age did your desire to travel wane?

I had done several tours through Rick Steves and really enjoyed them. As he advertises they keep up a good pace so we vacation starved Americans can get the most out of our precious vacation days. But, that is a bit much for me now. My feet start to ache, my back starts to hurt, and I want to rest. So this year I will do some road trips that will allow me to slow down and/or stop as I see fit. I also will be doing some type of train trip, packing very light, and spending three days in a city to do what I could do in two days. IOW, allowing time for afternoon naps, sitting in cafès, taking photos of unusual sites from unusual angles, and generally poking around. I find a lot of interesting things poking around.

On any flight over 3 hours I now routinely spring for the extra leg room seats. That's my idea of a poor man's first class seat. I would rather use the business class money to get a nicer hotel room with more space, nicer bed, and a comfortable seating area (in the room or out on the patio garden area or both) than first or business class seats for 8 hours on a plane. So far this works for me.

On long road trips I drive segments of 1.5 to 2 hours, then pull over, stretch the legs, use the facilities, and maybe get a small bite to eat. That takes 15-20 minutes, then back in the car for another 1.5 to 2 hours. At times all those stops mean an extra night on the road. Who cares!?!? I am a retired guy. Again, so far this works for me. YMMV.

Last edited:
I had done several tours through Rick Steves and really enjoyed them. As he advertises they keep up a good pace so we vacation starved Americans can get the most out of our precious vacation days. But, that is a bit much for me now. My feet start to ache, my back starts to hurt, and I want to rest. So this year I will do some road trips that will allow me to slow down and/or stop as I see fit. I also will be doing some type of train trip, packing very light, and spending three days in a city to do what I could do in two days. IOW, allowing time for afternoon naps, sitting in cafès, taking photos of unusual sites from unusual angles, and generally poking around. I find a lot of interesting things poking around.

On any flight over 3 hours I now routinely spring for the extra leg room seats. That's my idea of a poor man's first class seat. I would rather use the business class money to get a nicer hotel room with more space, nicer bed, and a comfortable seating area (in the room or out on the patio garden area or both) than first or business class seats for 8 hours on a plane. So far this works for me.

On long road trips I drive segments of 1.5 to 2 hours, then pull over, stretch the legs, use the facilities, and maybe get a small bite to eat. That takes 15-20 minutes, then back in the car for another 1.5 to 2 hours. At times all those stops mean an extra night on the road. Who cares!?!? I am a retired guy. Again, so far this works for me. YMMV.

Speaking of resting...how is the knee doing. Sorry to hijack the thread.

DF is going with me to Morocco and he is 72. I think it's pretty cool that we get to go on one last hoorah before he can't get around as well. He just got a cortisone shot in his knee, had it replaced 7 yrs ago and its been giving him problems ever since.

Extra leg room seat made a big difference on my last flight which was about 8 hours. We only paid for that 'amenity' on the return flight so that was fresh on my mind. These were bulkhead seats which were even better.
As to group travel big or small, we've only had one and will avoid as long as possible as we get older. Also moving from hotel to hotel every couple of days is just not for me.

We are mostly doing go slow travel. On our last trip that meant 5-7 days in the each place. Did the same on our trip to Mexico. The usual exception is the night or two after or before our flight.

Going to Zihuatanejo this week. Three weeks in one place. Very easy direct flight for us ...... 5.5 hours.

Last edited:
Chuck, so I was curious about the Rick Steves tours after you mentioned them and it looks comparable to EF tours although the costs are figured differently but add up to about the same. The difference is some days EF has a full afternoon free if you want it or you can take an optional tour.

Another difference is that EF handles your luggage so it was picked up and delivered to your door. I also noticed that Steve’s said you may not have AC and all of ours have heat or AC and the hotels we stayed at were really nice. The amount of walking is also much less.

Chuck, so I was curious about the Rick Steves tours after you mentioned them and it looks comparable to EF tours although the costs are figured differently but add up to about the same. The difference is some days EF has a full afternoon free if you want it or you can take an optional tour.

Another difference is that EF handles your luggage so it was picked up and delivered to your door. I also noticed that Steve’s said you may not have AC and all of ours have heat or AC and the hotels we stayed at were really nice. The amount of walking is also much less.

RS builds in free afternoons on his tours, and on longer tours a "vacation day from your vacation" usually at some resort location such as the Cinque Terra. Yes, you carry, tote, pull your own luggage. With very rare exceptions all hotels are well appointed and have heat and AC. Some of the smaller family run hotels in villages in Turkey, Bulgaria and Sicily did not. The one in Sicily had 'sea breeze' cooling. :)

RS prides itself in not trying to sell optional extras. Even the tipping is included in your cost. I was surprised how rarely I had to open my wallet while on his fully guided tours.

I may still take another RS tour, but if I do it will be one of their city tours where the overnight stays are at least three nights, preferably more. From a strictly time usage point of view, the best tours are the one city tours of places like Rome, Paris, London, or Istanbul. Just one unpack and packup. And very little windshield time on the bus.

Last edited:
Since RE over 8 years, I've traveled more, spent more.

Plan has been to do as much as I can until mobility really is hampered.

This month, at age 62, I was diagnosed with PKD so I've started a very restricted diet.

But I'd already booked 3 trips and booked another recently. The diet restrictions are going to be tough. I'm not a foodie and in a lot of cases, I preferred quick meals or something I could get on the go. Not fast food, though I've had fast food while traveling as opposed to never going to fast food at home.

One thing I've noticed in recent years, when you look at Google Maps, a lot of the highest-rated restaurants in many places, at least larger cities, are vegan restaurants. Not interested in going vegan but may have to check them out because I have to limit protein intake.

Otherwise, I do struggle more to walk uphill, like doing a guided hike in Cinque Terre a few years ago, my heart rate was pegging while others, including some older people, didn't seem to be stressed as much.

I also look for lodgings with elevators. I can still haul my luggage up but would rather avoid it, don't need to get a leg or back injury while traveling. But in Europe, a lot of places, especially in smaller towns and villages, are these old buildings, with narrow and steep stairs.

I can walk all day with my larger camera and gear but may eventually lose interest in doing that. Well it's good exercise at least. And that may have something to do with my difficulty walking up hills.

When my desire to travel starts to wane, I'll let you know. I've been heavy into travel all my life, both for the job and personally. I still love it now in my 70s and look forward to every trip with the same anticipation. Loads of places on my list, and no interest in cutting back.

The only difference between now and back then is that these days I'm willing to spring for a seat up front in the plane on long haul trips.

3 million air miler here (90% business travel all over the globe). I'm done with air travel in any class, going anywhere.

Now that DW's medical conditions are worsening, even driving trips are a challenge. She's 71 and I'm 73. We've seen enough of it anyway, even if she improves and travel is not a risk.

Well, 6 years has gone by since I posted this and during those years, DW and I only took a couple of driving trips (CA, WI) to visit her family. Boy, those were tough trips with me doing all the driving and shuffling her and stuff around. But they were worth it.

Now that she is no longer here, I will be taking a few driving trips this year to visit my family in CT and some friends along the route.

No more flying and no international anymore.

After a trip from Los Angeles to New Hampshire last April, I concluded airports and airline travel sucks. But that is where my Grandkids live now, and travel for a family of 6 is much more expensive than for 1 person. So at some point I will probably suck it up and fly. Driving for a week or so to get there is just too far.

Since RE over 8 years, I've traveled more, spent more.
<snip>
I also look for lodgings with elevators. I can still haul my luggage up but would rather avoid it, don't need to get a leg or back injury while traveling. But in Europe, a lot of places, especially in smaller towns and villages, are these old buildings, with narrow and steep stairs.

I've definitely traveled more! Nice not to have to count vacation days, or ration them out so I have time to visit out-of-town family, too.:D

I used to buy travel insurance because DH was 15 years older and had some health issues; I later realized that I needed to get good coverage for myself because I'm hiking, snorkeling, walking in congested cities and could manage to trip on a rustic, scenic cobblestone street and break something important. I have a Medicare supplement that covers $50,000 out of country but that's a lifetime cap. I get MedJet Assist for evacuation if I'm going somewhere remote and get a more comprehensive travel policy so I don't have to rack up $50,000 in credit card charges and then make a Medicare supplement claim.

Not something I worried about when I was younger.

I still want to travel at 62, but I'm less willing to spend long times on planes or in airports. We do a lot of automobile and truck/trailer travel. There are places in the world that we can't drive to, so we take one trip wherever DW wants for two weeks per year.

We are 62 and 63, but DH had a heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery last year and I had rotator cuff surgery. We both did fine on our recent 2-month trip to Australia, but I have to admit that carrying a backpack and laptop case through several airports got tiring. Also moving around frequently is much more exhausting than staying in one place. I think we are going to alternate trips - a touring trip such as the one we just did in Australia, followed by a beach/diving/relaxing trip staying much longer in each place.

Given the challenge of carrying my carry-ons, I will likely continue to check a bag for destinations with strict/low carry-on weight limits. For more lenient situations, I’ll go with carry-on only that I can roll. Those wheels add quite a bit of weight!

We flew United first class for the first time ever when we went to Egypt in October. The amenities were essential to making it a pleasant travel experience. One example - we had a five hour layover in at O'Hare on the way home, which we spent in the Untied Polaris Lounge. I was able to take a shower, shave and change into clean clothes, then eat a very nice dinner and have a couple glasses of wine in pleasant, uncrowded surroundings. Expensive, certainly, but that's why we saved all that money.

I have flown first class plenty of times. Pre-pandemic I got upgraded about half the time flying from Hawaii to mainland. And most of my work travel in the 90s and early 2000s was business or first class for a flight over 4 hours. And much was international. But I have never been able to convince myself to pay money for first class. When working I had an executive travel agent at my disposal that often found business class fares at good rates. I'd love to find someone like that again but I think those days are over!

I retired 1-Feb-21 at age 61and ms gamboolgal was 59. Currently, I’m 63 and she’s still chasing me as our Birthdays are 5 days apart.

Short answer: Yes to Domestic Travel by Road Trip.
No to International and Domestic Air Travel.

For now, ms gamboolgal and I are having fun and retirement is wonderful.

TLDNR (Too Long Did Not Read) Version follows:

Since retirement we have taken alot of Road Trips in the USA from a long weekend to 4 or 5 weeks long.
We really enjoy going at our own pace and being to change our plans/itinerary on a whim.

We took most of January to make a couple thousand miles loop through the South and Gulf Coast as I went a played the Million Dollar Heater Pokersszzz..tournament in Biloxi, Mississippi.
There's at least 6 to 8 dozen less Raw Oysters in Mississippi and Lousiana....ask me how I know...
Bz62chAm.png
[/IMG]

We load up the SUV heavy with all our Clap Trap – looks like the Clampetts arriving at the Hotel and it takes a couple of Carts for the Bell Hops too get all our stuff to the room… ha ! ms gamboolgal tips heavy as she is embarrassed by it all… ha !

We’re heading out in afew days on another Road Trip to play the Milly In Philly Pokersszzz tournament up in Pearl River, Mississippi.
9jE9gGvm.jpg
[/IMG]

Then on the return trip we are planning on attending the 28th Annual Hog Dogs Trials in Winnfield, Louisiana. It ought to be a Hoot ! Much cold beer, Boudin, sweet tea, BBQ, fresh Cracklins in a brown paper sack dripping with that good ole artery hardening grease, Pow Wow Hamburgers, Etoufee, Boiled Mud Bugs, etc., will be had. And of course the goofy T-shirt’s are a must.
w1ZNIO9m.jpg
[/IMG]

I am partial to the Raw Oysters in the R-months. So I imagine a few dozen Oysters will be had over the 3 to 5 weeks we’ll be meandering about the South and Gulf Coast.

We're planning to consume afew dozen Bushel Baskets of Mud Bugs, (Crawdads), Boiled Potatoes, Corn, Cold Beer and Sweet Tea at the Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival in May
uv3RKUDl.png
[/IMG]
Hy8tc8Um.jpg
[/IMG]

Cruises = Never Say Never but No desire to be out on the Ocean. I lived and worked Offshore for many years and the Ocean has always terrified me. The Sea’s are Savage and Relentless.
Having said that, I did love seeing the Sea’s in all of it’s conditions and states…but it always scared me, and stiil does.
Offshore Africa, they would toss Food Scraps from the Galley overboard 4 X times per day and the fish would churn the water up at the first bit of Scraps hitting the water - Helluva sight to see.
Fish draw bigger fish and Sharks….

We would throw a life sized and weight Dummy Overboard for Man Overboard and Recovery Drills.
Many the time the Dummy came back onboard without a Arm or Leg and chewed all to Hell by the Sea Creatures….. ha !

International Travel = Negative Ghost Rider

Regarding flying International, for us, God Willing we’ll never get another Stamp in our Passports.

We had lived/worked overseas the last 20 year before retirement.

40 to 50 hour Transit with one or two Layovers and Connections times for the International flights to/from Africa/Texas just ruined International travel for us in retirement.
Jet Lag from crossing 6 time zones got harder for us as we got older, especially going from Texas back to Africa.

Way two many 10 to 14 hour flights just ruined the allure of International Travel for us.

Add in hundreds of Helicopter Flights and having to take Domestic Flights in Africa and I / we are done with all the glamorous International Travel.

But that’s just us

Lifes A Dance and You Learn As You Go

gamboolman…..

Last edited:
I've personally stopped short trips and look for 2+weeks destinations now. Also hate connecting flights, so prefer to plan around direct ones. Just getting outside of the states and Mexico since 2015, so we have lots to explore.

Eventually would like to part-time live in other places too. Travel is a long, beat down process for DW as she does most of the planning for "after we land" stuff.

One thing I am feeling at 57 and after probably 10 trips to Europe is, I prefer some purpose rather than just to go look. I like bonefishing and scuba diving in the Caribbean, seeing old friends who live internationally, and I’ve had the experience of hosting people on trips overseas for my job. Looking and seeing is OK but it’s better if there is “a bit more” somehow.

If someone could "beam me up," I would travel a whole lot more as getting to any destination is such a hassle...

Back
Top Bottom