Bali

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We're off to Bali in a few days. Adventure tour including climbing a volcano/mountain to watch sunrise, white water raft, hike, bicycle and engage with the monkeys in the Monkey Forrest. At the end we have a few days in a very nice hotel to 'recover'. Anyone been there with must do suggestions?

If we were going back (and we can't wait) we'd spend a few days in Ubud and walk as far into the countryside as possible. The magic of Bali is found not in doing but in being, in trying to sink in and appreciate how art and devotional religion are the essence of every aspect of daily life. Look for the flowers on every statue, smell the incense, look at the flowers, watch the people. Get as far out into the countryside as you can. Magical place.

Definitely spend some time in Ubud and the streets in which local artists display their paintings and art. Avoid Kuta (the town area where the bars are unless you are into that). There are plenty of beautiful hotels with their own villas. It is good to get the hotel to book you a car to use (with driver if you wish) for the day - that way you get driven around and really have a look at local life. If your hotel is not around Ubud, a drive to Ubud and explore the countryside and local markets would be recommended.

I was in Umbud (spelling) years ago. I think Bali is not so much about doing as being.

We're off to Bali in a few days. Adventure tour including climbing a volcano/mountain to watch sunrise, white water raft, hike, bicycle and engage with the monkeys in the Monkey Forrest. At the end we have a few days in a very nice hotel to 'recover'. Anyone been there with must do suggestions?

Bali is indeed beautiful and really different from anywhere else. The Hindu culture really makes the place. I went about 5 years ago to attend a wedding. You'll find many parts breathtaking. Make sure to go to Ubud and the Monkey forest is something you won't see anywhere else. Prepare to be hustled endlessly when on the street to buy stuff. Get that stop signal straight-arm out there and practice saying NO really loud.

Mostly we stayed in Nusa Dua (the resort area) where they restrict the locals from bothering you. We really enjoyed the open-air dining. try some of the local food like Nasi Goring. It's very spicy but really quite good.

I thought having lived in Houston for a couple of years I knew what humidity was all about. After all it's so humid in Houston that the air can't hold anymore water and it rains every afternoon during the summer. Then we went to Bali for a week in the wet season (as you are also). Jeez - talk about humidity torture. I was never dry when outside and the only place that was comfortable was in the pool or inside in the air conditioning.

I spent a month on the island in 2006, and Ubud & surroundings was by far the most interesting area to me. Nevertheless I had a very different experience, overall, from what most people seem to have had on Bali. In 2006 tourism was down severely due to the bombings, and the locals were (understandably) desperate and very aggressive toward tourists. I believe some of the locals were literally starving, and I saw a few eating out of garbage heaps. It was terribly sad. For their sake, I really hope this is changing, and I'd appreciate a report from anyone who's been there recently.

Back From Bali!

What an awesome place. I have been a few somewhat exotic places like Fiji and South Pacific islands but Bali is really another world. Our first 9 days was an adventure trip with Intrepid Travel, we got up @3AM to climb a volcano & see the sunrise, bicycled through a Monkey Forest, hiked through rice fields and got in some world class snorkeling, went to night markets where we were the only non-locals. Lots more, countless temples. DW did some serious shopping. The Neka museum, worth seeing. Then we had 5 days in luxury to 'recover' and put the weight back on that we had lost.
The food is wonderful. We will be seeking out the local Indonesian market. And the humidity was more than I have ever experienced. this was supposed to be a 'shoulder' season, somewhat dry. God help us for what a full rainy season would look like. It poured every afternoon and just when I thought it couldn't get heavier; it poured even more. Nothing got dry, shirt always wet from water, sweat or both. Misquotes were a negative factor. Thats about it. The nicest people, remarkable art, good food and beautiful terrain. I expect we will get back. Pictures below of DW with monkey friends from the Monkey Forrest Temple. Did a lot of 'being there' too, doesn't show up in the photos.

Attachments

• Bali4 054.jpg
    Bali4 054.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 10
  • Bali4 053.jpg
    Bali4 053.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the report and the pix. That little monkey looks like he´s about to try something?

Back
Top Bottom