Bare boat cruising Croatia: Looking for information or experiences

davidfin

Recycles dryer sheets
Two couples are planning a 5 to 7 day bare boat cruise off the coast of Croatia September 2019. We are looking for experiences and recommendations. Reputable boat charters and itineraries. Any help is appreciated.

I'll second the Moorings recommendation. We've used most of the charter companies over the years and have found them to be the best by a large margin.

Wow, these look like fun! And more affordable than I might have thought. What other expenses, aside from boat rental, do you incur? Gas? I would imagine that could get quite expensive?

A lot of these are sailboats. But you'll still need some gas.

The Moorings gives lessons in bare boat cruising.

Not sure about Croatia, but the Aegean has winds called Meltemi that could be very challenging for the casual sailor to handle. We are ASA certified and have sailed a few times in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable bareboating in Greece.

We recently did a 7-day cruise from Dubrovnik up the coast to Split, with stops at about seven islands. The sailing there is very sheltered. Croatia has 11,000 islands, I think I recall being told. Some tiny, some big.

We were on a small Croatian cruise boat, but we saw dozens of charter boats at every swim stop, cove and harbor. The water is generally protected by the islands and most days it was flat, the winds are light to medium, at least in September. It looked like great sailing to me. (40-year sailor in Southern California.)

Back
Top Bottom