Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Best military lodges in San Antonio
Old 01-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best military lodges in San Antonio

Heading down to San Antonio late march. I know there are a bunch of military bases around that area.

Any points on which ones are the nicest?

Thanks in Advance.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Probably Randolph. If at all possible, avoid the Kelly Inn at all costs...that place should really be shut down. I've stayed at Randolph a couple of times and it was nice...probably because it's a HHQ base.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

It's been a long time since I have stayed at Randolph, but it was always clean and nice. I believe the transient quarters may be run by civilian contract now, but if base housing is any judge, it should be even better. I believe Randolph is still the Headquarters for the Training command, and it is also was the Personal Center for the Air Force.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #4

Used to live in SA back 2000-2002, but as civilian. Kelly AFB is no longer, closed during the base closings in 90's. It is now privatized and called Kelly USA. You have Air Force = Randolph AFB and Lackland AFB; and Army = Fort Sam Houston and Brooks Army Medical Center. I don't think BAMC has any housing though. SA overall is not too bad, just avoid east and west of downtown (ghetto and barrio areas). South of downtown helps if you speak Spanish, or what is more common "Spanglish". North of town or around downtown is good.

Since the downturn in the military spending and number of personnel, tourism is the big $ now for SA, and so they keep it nice for tourists.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:38 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

BAMC, Brookes Army Med center was the beneficiary of the consolidation and closures with over 3 BILLION in construction around 2010. It is now the main medical center for all the armed forces and has the cutting edge Center for the Intrepid. Seems like there would be decent lodge there. Military including Lackland is still the main employer in San Antonio, but also Toyota, USAA, HEB, Valero, KCI, Tesoro, Rackspace. City is now 7th in the nation, and the area is expected to add another million folks in the next 25 years. Whole lot going on besides margaritas and puffy tacos!
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:48 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hey, you left out the BBQ industry! http://www.sanantonioedf.com/busines...jor-employers/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA employers.JPG (81.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #7

Thanks! I stayed at Randolph a couple of times when flying in the Navy and the lodge was pretty nice. I'll see if they have a room available when I'm down there.

Since I'm traveling for leisure I don't think I can book until 60 days before. Anyone know if that rule is still intact? Or does it vary by service?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Thanks! I stayed at Randolph a couple of times when flying in the Navy and the lodge was pretty nice. I'll see if they have a room available when I'm down there.

Since I'm traveling for leisure I don't think I can book until 60 days before. Anyone know if that rule is still intact? Or does it vary by service?
This info might help you:

http://www.dodlodging.net/Air-Force-...s-Sep-2014.pdf

Air Force Inns
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #9

Thanks, that is a great help.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Used to live in SA back 2000-2002, but as civilian. Kelly AFB is no longer, closed during the base closings in 90's. It is now privatized and called Kelly USA. You have Air Force = Randolph AFB and Lackland AFB; and Army = Fort Sam Houston and Brooks Army Medical Center. I don't think BAMC has any housing though. SA overall is not too bad, just avoid east and west of downtown (ghetto and barrio areas). South of downtown helps if you speak Spanish, or what is more common "Spanglish". North of town or around downtown is good.

Since the downturn in the military spending and number of personnel, tourism is the big $ now for SA, and so they keep it nice for tourists.
There is still a "Kelly Inn" as it's part of the "Kelly Annex"; it's run by Lackland. Most of the facilities have been turned over to the local government, but some of the area is still being used (the base operations for the flightline as well as the inn and a dental clinic). Unfortunately, many of the students for the C-5 school house have to stay there, and it's quite pitiful but the odds of being sent over there if you hit up the Lackland VQ are pretty slim though. Also keep in mind that many of the quarters out there cost as much as staying on local market, although still not as expensive if you stayed on the Riverwalk.

And as a technicality, Kelly USA doesn't exist anymore either. It's now called "Port San Antonio".
Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #11

I was able to get into the Navy Lodge in Corpus Christie where we will be spending a couple of day, but I'm too far out to get into anything with the AF. But I do see that I can get a decent civilian hotel for the same as military in San Antonio, so will probably just go that route.

Thanks for everyone's help. And if there is a "must see" thing in San Antonio, besides the Alamo, Riverwalk and Fiesta Texas, let me know!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And if there is a "must see" thing in San Antonio, besides the Alamo, Riverwalk and Fiesta Texas, let me know!
Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Art Museum
Old 01-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm sure my 16 year old twin girls would love it!!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
And as a technicality, Kelly USA doesn't exist anymore either. It's now called "Port San Antonio".
I did not know that, but have not lived in SA since July 2002.

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help. And if there is a "must see" thing in San Antonio, besides the Alamo, Riverwalk and Fiesta Texas, let me know!
There is also Sea World in SA, that your daughters might like. There is an IMAX theater near the Alamo. BTW, the Alamo is right by the Riverwalk, just across the street an easy walking. The Riverwalk boat tour is good way to see the whole Riverwalk and to learn a bit of history. Riverwalk is nice area and no crime problems, so don't have to worry about being down there and the area around it downtown.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Ft Sam Houston is closer to downtown (center of SA) than other bases. The Candlewood Suites is one of the largest military lodging facilities in the country.

Riverwalk, Alamo and 4 other Spanish colonial missions, LBJ Ranch 2 hour hill country ride away, Ft Sam has more historical buildings (including the quadrangle) and 2 museums than Williamsburg VA has, Lackland AFB has a great aircraft museum outdoors.

Lodging

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Randolph is the place to stay if you can get one of the "named" suites located adjacent to the main lodging office. They are VOQs from the 1920s and have been very nicely renovated. It's an easy walk to the O Club, so you have that as well.
Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote