Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Best month to go to Universal Studios FL
Old 04-26-2022, 06:04 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Best month to go to Universal Studios FL

Hi,

Was thinking end of Sept or early October might be a good time as kids should be back in school.

I hate crowds! Any Universal pros out there?

Thanks,

Wally
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2022, 07:00 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We went in April of 2018 (Mon-Wed) and it wasn't bad at all. We stayed at one of their onsite hotels, which included an express pass each day as well as being very convenient to the parks. It was handy at Islands of Adventure, but hardly needed on the Universal Studios side. I hate crowds too, and am willing to BTD to avoid long lines. I'd think late Sep/Oct would be fine too, but there is hurricane risk. That probably wouldn't deter me but I'd make sure cancellation isn't too steep if one is coming.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:24 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your thinking is correct. We go annually usually mid-week the week of labor day or the week after. Crowds are not bad.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator69 View Post
Hi, Was thinking end of Sept or early October might be a good time as kids should be back in school. I hate crowds! Any Universal pros out there?Wally
There will always be crowds at Universal and Disney, especially since travel revenge is still a thing right now post covid and many schools have different calendars now, compared to years past. But see below for a few tips:

- End of sept is better than Oct crowd wise, but it's also the hottest, most humid time of the year in Florida - so just know that going in. Plan for midday breaks. (Many think June-Aug is hottest, but sept humidity is actually worse.)

- Universal's #1 biggest special event - halloween horror nights - coincides with your potential dates. By day, the parks won't be affected, but Studios will close early every Wed-Sun to prep for the 6pm HHN opening. This is a huge event and often a sellout.

- Oct is busier than Sept- weeks to avoid: week before/after Columbus Day- many schools are out.
FindingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 on Halloween Horror Nights. Avoid the entire month of October - crowds & prices at hotels will both be worse. I took my son 3 years in a row in November and it was great. A little less hot and manageable crowds. Avoid “Jersey Week” if you can, when NJ schools are closed for teacher’s convention and half the state heads to Orlando. Also avoid Thanksgiving week, of course.
Definitely stay at onsite hotels - quick 5 minute free water taxi ride to the parks and UNLIMITED fast pass - no need to reserve times. I found it a much better experience than Disney for that reason. In fact on one of the days we went to Disney instead and by 9:30 a.m. my son was asking if we could go back to Universal for the rest of the day.

Our daily routine was head to the parks first thing (by the way, onsite hotel guests get early entry), stay until about 1 pm, water taxi back to hotel. Shower and a nap for me (internet surfing for my son) then dinner at 4:30 (also no crowds and no reservations needed) then back to the parks as most people were leaving, when even the best rides were walk right on, no lines.
SecretlyFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:31 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Also was going to mention that Halloween Horror Nights seems to expand every year. I just checked online and for this year it’s all the way from September 2 until October 31. So avoid both of those months entirely.

Jersey Week is November 7-11, 2022.
SecretlyFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Halloween Horror Nights is our favorite time to go to USF. We stayed at the new value resort Endless Summer last year. Perfect for us and free bus from hotel to City Walk. Mid September works for us.
georgemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 02:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Very best time to visit Orlando is in January after all the school kids are back in session.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 02:06 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Very best time to visit Orlando is in January after all the school kids are back in session.
Of course, avoid MLK weekend. And you can get freezing temps in Jan.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 02:11 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingForward View Post
There will always be crowds at Universal and Disney, especially since travel revenge is still a thing right now post covid and many schools have different calendars now, compared to years past. But see below for a few tips:

- End of sept is better than Oct crowd wise, but it's also the hottest, most humid time of the year in Florida - so just know that going in. Plan for midday breaks. (Many think June-Aug is hottest, but sept humidity is actually worse.)

- Universal's #1 biggest special event - halloween horror nights - coincides with your potential dates. By day, the parks won't be affected, but Studios will close early every Wed-Sun to prep for the 6pm HHN opening. This is a huge event and often a sellout.

- Oct is busier than Sept- weeks to avoid: week before/after Columbus Day- many schools are out.
+100
I've spent hundreds of days in Orlando theme parks, and this is spot on.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:54 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

awesome.

Thx

Wally
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I lived 30 minutes from Disney, Universal, etc. and natives go in Feb or Jan when fewer tourists are around. We always went in Feb, good weather and smaller crowds.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:51 PM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

We were at Disney during the second week of January. It seemed like there were a lot of South American tourists. Maybe summer break for them.
Rvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:43 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Only time at Disney World was mid Feb. One day was near perfect and next day was cold and rainy. I enjoyed the cold and rainy day more - lines were shorter! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote