Best route from Salt Lake to west of Denver

rob in cal

Dryer sheet wannabe
My cousin is getting married in a few weeks in the Dillon area in Colorado and we are driving out there from California. From Salt Lake City it looks like there are two choices, one on the two lane highway 40 mostly and another more southerly route that links up with I-70. I'm wondering what would be the most scenic route.

We have only driven the I70 version, but it was plenty scenic.

I think you'll find that I-70 through the Glenwood Canyon area is marvelously scenic.

If you have the time... the most "bang for the buck" would be to take Hwy 40 into Colorado and then go south -- either through Rangely (less scenic (?) but faster) or through Meeker (more scenic (?) but slower) -- to I-70. This would get you through Glenwood Canyon plus all of the other scenery Colorado is known for. On the way back to California, I would stay on I-70 through Utah (at least as far as I-15). This is a beautiful drive in its own right.

Like others, I've taken the I70 route and thought it was quite scenic.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Where in CA are you leaving from? It may not be as convenient to stop in SLC unless there is a specific reason. If you are going from SF bay area, then Hwy 50 (aka loneliest hwy in America) through Nevada will link right into I-70 near the start. Hwy 50 is a nice drive up through Tahoe area. If you take I-80 it is just as boring, but is 4-lane interstate vs hwy. Hwy 50 is actually kind of nice to appreciate the desert, but it is pretty desolate with a few small towns.

I have driven from SLC east to CO and taken the hwy 40 route. Very beautiful, but it does go through some small towns and takes a little longer time. You can drop down to Dillon on hwy 9.

I have also taken the route south from SLC to I-70. You go SE on hwy 6 out of Provo (actually a tad south of Provo in Spanish Fork). Hwy 6 is beautiful drive through the mountains from there to Price, UT area. The it is pretty boring flat desert until you intersect I-70 at Green River, UT. Moab, UT is just a little south of I-70 east from Green River south on hwy 191. I-70 is a pretty drive and drops you right into Dillon.

I drive the hwy 6 route every year on my way to Bonneville Salt Flats, it is a good drive. I guess the route you take is just depends on what you want to see more of, and if you like hwy or interstate.

Thanks for input everyone. We are leaving from Sacramento area, and will probably take I-80 to start, and may stay with friends in Salt Lake City. Our route home will be from Yellowstone, so I want the drive to Dillon to be the nicest one, not so concerned about time.

Oh! Well, then you have much (many) more difficult decisions ahead of you. There are so many options to get from Colorado to Yellowstone. All of them equally fascinating. And then... from there back to Sacramento will also have many sensory overload challenges.

Take lots of pictures.

Back
Top Bottom