Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I'm the driver in my family (of two now).

The last few years we have made driving trips to Wisconsin, California, Connecticut, and North Carolina several times. Heights and high freeway bridges/ramps don't bother me either. Even night driving is not a bother for me. Maybe I am lucky at this age to be able to pull this off?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Best Texas Beach Towns
Old 01-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best Texas Beach Towns

But I digress...

Was doing a day trip from Portland, through Tillamook SP to the coast, then up the coast to Astoria, where I planned to cross into Washington state. Took one look at that bridge...

Photo of bridge...
https://images.app.goo.gl/owec8yEZUccdGMbN7

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

There was a curving downtown bridge/overpass in Portland that was pretty scary, much scarier than that bridge from Astoria to Washington.

That Astoria bridge across the Columbia is really not too bad.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But I digress...

Was doing a day trip from Portland, through Tillamook SP to the coast, then up the coast to Astoria, where I planned to cross into Washington state. Took one look at that bridge...

Photo of bridge...
https://images.app.goo.gl/owec8yEZUccdGMbN7
The height of that bridge would get me. Like going up a roller coaster. But there are steel barriers the whole way. My thoughts always go to crashing over the side. I can always shut my eyes and tell myself I'm a good swimmer.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
The height of that bridge would get me. Like going up a roller coaster. But there are steel barriers the whole way. My thoughts always go to crashing over the side. I can always shut my eyes and tell myself I'm a good swimmer.
I hope you aren't driving...
Old 01-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Port A.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #47

SPI was a nice break from winter. Great shrimp, Pretty beaches, but not a whole lot to do - Which is what we wanted.
Often forgot I was in Texas. Saw no Rattlers, scorpions, or fire ants. Suffered no hurricanes or tornados. If it wasn't for the pickup trucks that are apparently issues to everyone at age 16 I'd think I was at St. Pete Beach.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
SPI was a nice break from winter. Great shrimp, Pretty beaches, but not a whole lot to do - Which is what we wanted.
Often forgot I was in Texas. Saw no Rattlers, scorpions, or fire ants. Suffered no hurricanes or tornados. If it wasn't for the pickup trucks that are apparently issues to everyone at age 16 I'd think I was at St. Pete Beach.
Thanks! Nice to know, we're leaving this week.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #49

Some bridge authorities offer a bit of help for travelers.

"The New York State Thruway Authority will lead gephyrophobiacs over the Tappan Zee Bridge. A driver can call the authority in advance and arrange for someone to drive the car over the bridge for them. The authority performs the service about six times a year.[1]

The Maryland Transportation Authority offers a similar service for crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

The Mackinac Bridge Authority, which oversees the Mackinac Bridge, which connects Michigan’s Upper and Lower peninsulas, will drive one's car across its span for any needy gephyrophobiacs. Some thousand drivers take advantage of this free program each year."

The Mackinac Bridge with it's open deck is the only bridge I have been on riding my motorcycle that made me a bit more than nervous.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Ooh I remember driving across that Chesapeake Bay bridge! Yes, that was very exciting!

That bridge crossing the Mississippi River into Baton Rouge is pretty intimidating, especially when you are driving a motorhome with towed and it’s jam packed with trucks on the steep downhill slope. The engine braking took care of us every time.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Spent a week in SPI and agree with Gravity. But still considering a full month visit next winter. If I explored the nearby cities, did some birding, and visited a friend in Corpus Christi for a few days, I think there would be enough to keep me occupied. I loved the beach town vibe and seafood and appreciated the clubs and restaurants with live music in late afternoon or early evening. Jose's Oyster Bar was my favorite restaurant. The Winter Texans that I met were usually from the upper midwest and very friendly although about ten years older than me.

Mustang Island had more museums and attractions in the nearby area that interested me than in SPI. But not a lot of condos or hotels on the beach. And too close to Corpus Christi.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

There is even better birding inland if you want more exploring from SPI.

Brownsville is a major city not far from SPI and has some attractions.

Plenty to do in the Rio Grande Valley.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #53

Currently in SPI. The causeway was great, no issues. Have not been to same restaurant twice-been here 11 days so far. Beaches, amazing, even when windy and in mid 60’s. Friendly folks willing to share hidden secrets. We’re having a great time and reserved a suite for 2021 for a month. The more remote beaches offer off leash playtime for our dog. Lovely island, great food and friendly people. I’m told “get out of town by March 1.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

It’s really the 2nd week of March where SPI is overwhelmed by Spring Breakers, so depending on the calendar, the first few days in March might be OK.

SPI is awesome in April although Easter can be a bit crazy if it occurs in April. Migrating birds start to show up, but the island is pretty empty and lodging is quite cheap. That’s often when we visit.

I hope you check out the birding center and go up to the top of the building. Great views and you can walk back down around and around the building. Hopefully they still have a pretty good senior pass rate that covers a month or so.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #55

[QUOTE=audreyh1;2369711
I hope you check out the birding center and go up to the top of the building. Great views and you can walk back down around and around the building. Hopefully they still have a pretty good senior pass rate that covers a month or so.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Birding center, amazing. Went to the top and took pics. Baby alligators are growing. We were worried about a diving duck (greeb) diving very close to alligator. Lots of birders offering information and bird identification.
Went to Laguna Atascosa Wildlife Reserve. 100,000+ acres and 30 miles/trails. The birds were stunning. We’ve not been bored one day. Walking the jetty tomorrow. We’ve had numerous dolphin sightings. They just show up.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Currently in SPI. The causeway was great, no issues. Have not been to same restaurant twice-been here 11 days so far. Beaches, amazing, even when windy and in mid 60’s. Friendly folks willing to share hidden secrets. We’re having a great time and reserved a suite for 2021 for a month. The more remote beaches offer off leash playtime for our dog. Lovely island, great food and friendly people. I’m told “get out of town by March 1.”

You definitely wanna get out of there before Spring Break!!
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes! Birding center, amazing. Went to the top and took pics. Baby alligators are growing. We were worried about a diving duck (greeb) diving very close to alligator. Lots of birders offering information and bird identification.
Went to Laguna Atascosa Wildlife Reserve. 100,000+ acres and 30 miles/trails. The birds were stunning. We’ve not been bored one day. Walking the jetty tomorrow. We’ve had numerous dolphin sightings. They just show up.
That's a really rough road to Laguna Atascosa - or used to be - so some dedication going all the way out there. Glad you enjoyed it - it's a special place, and our main spot for ocelot, although almost no one gets to ever see one.

There is a nice small boat dolphin and birding cruise run by George and Scarlett - https://www.fin2feather.com - well they must have sold it. Now run by different captain and crew.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:57 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Early spring break

Well, looks like I will be there that first week of March. All details not ironed out yet. Very encourages by Rhiane's posts. Sure it will be fun. Have not been there since college, when we stayed at the Cameron County shelters-ah youth!

I welcome any ideas on where to stay. I have looked around some. I get a lot of places will be booked already, that's fine. Still lots of spots seem like

Spring break begins 2nd week.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Well, looks like I will be there that first week of March. All details not ironed out yet. Very encourages by Rhiane's posts. Sure it will be fun. Have not been there since college, when we stayed at the Cameron County shelters-ah youth!

I welcome any ideas on where to stay. I have looked around some. I get a lot of places will be booked already, that's fine. Still lots of spots seem like

Aka Rianne....
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post

That sounds right - 2nd week usually. I suspect that lodging raises prices in March already.