Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Best Travel Store website
Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best Travel Store website

I am planning my trip to Asia and would like to know if anyone has ever used the Best Travel Store website or has even heard of or seen it. I stumbled onto this site and found it gave me one of the cheapest and best travel alternatives (by far) for my selected trip. Never having used it or even heard of it, I am a bit hesitant to use it. Madoff has made us all leery and careful.

Here is the url: Best Travel Store: We Show You the World for Less

Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it's not reputable. I just checked your site with Cheaptickets.com which is a site I've used repeatedly in the past for international travel and Cheaptickets found a better rate for the trip I booked yesterday. Doesn't mean it will for yours, but check Cheaptickets too if you haven't already.

One thing about Cheaptickets though, at the very end they automatically add travel insurance for you and you must de-select it not to get charged for it. Other than that I've used them since 2003 with no problems and have contacted customer service to correct a mistake I made and it was quickly solved.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I just checked it out and was under impressed . The hotel I reccently got for $99 in Boston was $294 . My favorite discount sites are HotWire and Priceline .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I haven't given Cheaptickets a fair chance, but my one attempt to use them was frustrating. Every time I went to buy a ticket it was suddenly unavailable but one just like it was suddenly available for a little more, then repeated until it was no bargain. I felt like a dog being teased.

I have had excellent luck with Priceline for hotels and Hotwire and AARP for car rentals.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #5

I did a google search using:

"Best Travel Store" ratings opinions reviews

and several folks asked the same question. They seem to be legitimate and have been around awhile.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #6

Thanks everyone ... with all of the alternatives, I think I'll stick to one of the 'majors' as suggested.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Administrator

One nice site for international travel is vayama - international travel solved | homepage but the tickets are non-refundable. I have often found tickets for significantly cheaper then other sites. Tuesday, Wednesday or Sunday often have the cheapest flights. Other sites I like are Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets, Hotels, Travel Deals - Search 1000's of Travel Sites at KAYAK and www.Mobissimo.com which are meta search sites meaning they go and search many other sites for you in one query.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used Best Travel store to book my travel to Burma and Thailand several months from now. (Their website has a link to the Los Angeles Better Business Bureau report on their business, which established their bona fides in my eyes.) I booked one heckuva good deal with them. I will fly to Bangkok on November 30 and return February 10, right in the middle of high season for Southeast Asia travel. I fly United, the awful American carrier, to Los Angeles. (Any readers ever spent any time in their lovely terminal at LAX?) Then it's off to Tokyo and then Bangkok on the fabulous Japanese carrier, All Nippon Airlines. If I'd cared to, I could have booked a free stopover in Tokyo.

The flight times are the best I've ever had, with short layovers, for Tucson-Bangkok. (It's very, very far. Once you reach Japan, you still have a long ways to go.) The total price, with midweek travel made possible by early retirement, is $834.00. And this is high season, on an upper-tier carrier, and includes my flight from a small city to the hub that is LAX. I'm extremely happy with this deal.

Incidentally, on arrival in Bangkok I fly AirAsia, a large discount carrier, to Rangoon, the capital of Burma. $83.00 one-way. Once their, the travel is dirt-cheap (like me) as well. On a recent trip to the area, not including airfare to the region, I spent $1,353.00 in 64 days of travel. This includes every penny I spent from the time I left my home until my return, and also includes maybe about $400.00 in assorted charitable donations that I made in this very poor region. I traveled on local transportation, stayed in clean, modest guesthouses, and ate like a king. Really cheap! Really great! I'm going back again soon!
tomintucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintucson View Post
I've used Best Travel store to book my travel to Burma and Thailand several months from now. (Their website has a link to the Los Angeles Better Business Bureau report on their business, which established their bona fides in my eyes.) I booked one heckuva good deal with them. I will fly to Bangkok on November 30 and return February 10, right in the middle of high season for Southeast Asia travel. I fly United, the awful American carrier, to Los Angeles. (Any readers ever spent any time in their lovely terminal at LAX?) Then it's off to Tokyo and then Bangkok on the fabulous Japanese carrier, All Nippon Airlines. If I'd cared to, I could have booked a free stopover in Tokyo.

The flight times are the best I've ever had, with short layovers, for Tucson-Bangkok. (It's very, very far. Once you reach Japan, you still have a long ways to go.) The total price, with midweek travel made possible by early retirement, is $834.00. And this is high season, on an upper-tier carrier, and includes my flight from a small city to the hub that is LAX. I'm extremely happy with this deal.

Incidentally, on arrival in Bangkok I fly AirAsia, a large discount carrier, to Rangoon, the capital of Burma. $83.00 one-way. Once their, the travel is dirt-cheap (like me) as well. On a recent trip to the area, not including airfare to the region, I spent $1,353.00 in 64 days of travel. This includes every penny I spent from the time I left my home until my return, and also includes maybe about $400.00 in assorted charitable donations that I made in this very poor region. I traveled on local transportation, stayed in clean, modest guesthouses, and ate like a king. Really cheap! Really great! I'm going back again soon!
sounds like a fantastic trip... keep us posted if you can during your travels...
heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #10

Quote:

Sounds like a great trip.

Have you confirmed with the airlines that you have reservations?
I had looked at a site that did critiques of the travel agents after I got some initial feedback and I have found those to be unhelpful, as it's mostly people dis-satisfied. Satisfied people generally don't post there, I guess.
I can't find the flight I wanted to book on any other travel sites for a price anywhere close to the one I got on this one. So that's why I wonder whether or not you had confirmed your reservations with the actual airlines.
Thanks and have a great trip.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Megacorp,

Yes, a good idea to actually confirm the reservation with the airline. I just got off the phone with All Nippon. My flights have indeed been booked and paid for by Best Travel Store. A completely satisfactory experience. I presume you are also traveling Monday thru Thursday for the best fares, and that you used their +- 3 days search feature.

And where are you going?

Tom
tomintucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Megacorp,

Yes, a good idea to actually confirm the reservation with the airline. I just got off the phone with All Nippon. My flights have indeed been booked and paid for by Best Travel Store. A completely satisfactory experience. I presume you are also traveling Monday thru Thursday for the best fares, and that you used their +- 3 days search feature.

And where are you going?

Tom
Glad you confirmed. That gives me a bit more confidence in the site. Yes I normally check for best days and travel midweek too.

We're going over to China, ... planning on various cities we have not been to yet. Guilin, Xian, amongst them. We will also probably go back to a few we visited before and want to explore a little more in depth, like HangZhou, Shanghai, and Beijing.

I have to get moving on the reservations soon.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. ... and have a great trip