Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
We went to Road Town, Tortola on a recent cruise. It was pretty dirty in town. Our port call was rather short, and I didn't feel like spending $50 to take a taxi a few miles to the beautiful beaches on the other side of the island (it was raining/drizzling a little and we had 2 other beach visits on the itinerary). I'm sure parts of the island outside road town were beautiful, but the town itself reminded me of a typical third world town.

Our recent cruise stopped there, too, but we didn't stay in Tortola. We took a ferry over to Virgin Gorda for the day to see the Baths - beautiful huge boulders that create caves/grottos you hike through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NCL Southern Caribbean Cruise 187.jpg (439.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg NCL Southern Caribbean Cruise 192.jpg (504.9 KB, 1 views)

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #222
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Why not schedule a side trip from LV and leave DW in Vegas with her bucket of quarters. Dinners and shows ought to please her...she could also ride a mule if hiking is not her choice.
Thanks Keith !

Will certainly keep that in mind when we go to LV, in fact, she likes to see shows in LV, perhaps I and the kids will go to the Grand Canyon for a day and let her spend time at the slot machines and shows.

I wonder how many days do people normally spend in the Grand Canyon ? 1 night ?
LuvSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #223
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Our recent cruise stopped there, too, but we didn't stay in Tortola. We took a ferry over to Virgin Gorda for the day to see the Baths - beautiful huge boulders that create caves/grottos you hike through.
That trip to the Baths looked pretty awesome. We only had ~4.5-5 hours in port and the weather was bad, so I think they canceled what short excursions to the Baths that they did have initially scheduled.

I have heard that the beaches in Tortola are beautiful, as is the rest of the island. Just not the main town apparently. I think that rule holds true in many Caribbean ports of call though.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouth View Post
Thanks Keith !

Will certainly keep that in mind when we go to LV, in fact, she likes to see shows in LV, perhaps I and the kids will go to the Grand Canyon for a day and let her spend time at the slot machines and shows.

I wonder how many days do people normally spend in the Grand Canyon ? 1 night ?
They have day trips from Las Vegas. I think you can drive over, spend half a day at GC, and get back to LV in the evening by 9-10 pm.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #225
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
They have day trips from Las Vegas. I think you can drive over, spend half a day at GC, and get back to LV in the evening by 9-10 pm.
Thanks !

Do you know if day trip is enough to see GC ?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks !

I don't know. Last time I was there I was a kid. I think you can visit one side of it for the afternoon before returning to LV at night. Or opt to stay somewhere out there if you want more time. I guess it depends on what else you have going on during your trip to LV or Cali.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #227

Quote:

A very common question (and misperception).

The GC is 277 miles long, up to 18 miles wide, and a mile deep.
And all of it is at least interesting, if not downright fascinating.

I've spent nearly 20 days total in the GC, and barely scratched the surface.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #228
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A very common question (and misperception).

The GC is 277 miles long, up to 18 miles wide, and a mile deep.
And all of it is at least interesting, if not downright fascinating.

I've spent nearly 20 days total in the GC, and barely scratched the surface.
Wow, then I will visit the GC with my kids one day when DW stays put in Toronto Canada

I never thought the GC is so fascinating ... Perhaps when I skip snowbirding in Florida in a particular year, I will spend more time in Cali and take a side trip to LV & GC without my wife unless she is willing to do some hiking with me for a few days !
Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #229
Full time employment: Posting here.

I actually enjoyed the combination of Vegas and Grand Canyon. When I got to Grand Canyon, it made me appreciate the quietness and wonder of it away from Vegas. My biggest disapointment is Bangkok - I just don't like the city. Chiangmai is fine but not Bangkok or Phuket. Give me Italy or France anytime and I will have a good time there.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #230
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just did the drive from the Grand Canyon (south rim) to Vegas, it was about 4.5 hours one way as I recall. You can get a nice view of the GC by walking along the rim trail, about 4 miles of the trail is paved and is an easy walk, the views are spectacular. There are shuttle buses that can take you back to your starting point. You could easily do that in an afternoon. There are hiking trails that go down into the canyon but any hikes to the river would have to be an overnight. We did the Bright Angel trail down to Indian Springs, it's about half way to the river and probably the most one would want to do for a day hike. The hike down is easy, it's the hike back up that gets most people.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #231
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The hike down is easy, it's the hike back up that gets most people.
Actually for some of us it is the opposite. My knees hate downhill hiking...

DD
Old 11-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I actually enjoyed the combination of Vegas and Grand Canyon. When I got to Grand Canyon, it made me appreciate the quietness and wonder of it away from Vegas.
Red Rock Canyon is just a few minutes east of LV and amazingly beautiful too. Very scenic, though a fair amount of LV tourists visited there the day we were there (as did the snow and sleet).

Hoover Dam was unbelievable. The fact that Man made it (in the 1930's) makes it almost more incredible in my eyes than the Grand Canyon.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #233

I lived in Vegas for 4 years. Just about everyone who did the GC south rim in one day said it was exhausting. I think the canyon looks best at sunrise and sunset which means an overnight trip.

The Hoover Dam bypass bridge is open now which should reduce the trip time by at least 30 min. from when I was there in 2005-08.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Seeing the Grand Canyon is definitely better at sunrise and sunset than at mid-day. DW and I just spent a couple days there last spring, along the South Rim. We poked around as far as Hermit's Rest on the west, and out to the watch tower at the east entrance. We got to have dinner one night in El Tovar, and caught a sunrise over the canyon the next morning.

MobileMe Gallery

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Great pictures! Thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Great photos! Thanks for sharing.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #237

Quote:
Seeing the Grand Canyon is definitely better at sunrise and sunset than at mid-day. DW and I just spent a couple days there last spring, along the South Rim. We poked around as far as Hermit's Rest on the west, and out to the watch tower at the east entrance. We got to have dinner one night in El Tovar, and caught a sunrise over the canyon the next morning.

MobileMe Gallery
Thanks, those bring back a memory or two.

Have only been to the Grand Canyon once and that was back around age 20. Some college buds and I did a road trip during the summer. Frugal travelers that we were, we skipped getting a hotel room and just drove down a sandy old road not far from the park entrance. Pulled off into an isolated area and slept in the car overnight. Woke up in the morning to the sound of "moooo"! Poked my head up to find a nice size herd of cattle milling about the car. Made it into the park early that day!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #238
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Great pictures! Thanks.
Hey, no problem, folks! The photos after the Grand Canyon are from Flagstaff, where we dropped by the observatory to see where Percival Lowell had charted the efforts of a dying civilization in tapping the last remaining source of water in the Martian polar ice caps. We then went on to Sedona, where we poked around for a few days, took one of those Pink Jeep tours, and observed the unusual effects of the Sedona Vortices. No human being would stack pebbles like that...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote