Join Early Retirement Today

Bike and Barge trip in Holland and Belgium
Old 05-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bike and Barge trip in Holland and Belgium

Planning for an 11 day September trip (8 actual days on the road) in Holland and Belgium through a company (VBT) my wife recently used for a bike trip in Normandy and was very pleased with. She has wanted to do a Bike and Barge trip for a few years and they offer those as well. Due to some minor balance issues I ride a recumbent trike but those are not available so I may try their hybrid bikes that appear to be similar to beach bikes with gears. Even if that doesn't work for me I can always enjoy the barge ride to the different towns.

Has anyone taken one of these Bike and Barge vacations? What did you think?

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #2

I know people who have and they enjoyed it. VBT has a good reputation but I have not used them.

Our trip is going well. I am writing this from Lyon. We just completed a large part of Velo 17. We should get to Normandy in 10 days or so. Glad your DW enjoyed her tour.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Has anyone taken one of these Bike and Barge vacations? What did you think?
You'll probably get good responses, but if you do a search of this Travel forum for "bike and barge" you'll find quite a number of good comments.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:29 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have taken many VBT trips and liked them all. I took the trip you are talking about the other way; it was one of my favorites. Here is an album of photos from the trip. An advantage of barge trips is not having to unpack. The disadvantage is tight quarters.

Edit: I ride road bikes at home but I usually get the hybrids on VBT trips. They are good for the mix of roads and trails you usually encounter. Also, VBT trips are easy going, definitely not a hammer fest.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Spring of 2018 we did the Belgium to Holland bike and barge. Thanks to several people in this community we were well prepared for the tour. The big thing was weather, we were prepared for wet or dry weather, and as it turned out or week was warm and sunny, the previous group the week before, were barge bound for three days!

If we were to go again my DW would opt for the battery assist bike for sure. About a third of the bikers had them. We always stayed with the group though it is easy to chat your own course if you wish.

Excellent trip, would love to do again sometime. Again, the weather helped make it very enjoyable.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:18 AM   #6

Well, it has all been settled and the trip, air fare, and insurance have all been paid. It turns out that Wednesday was the last day for full payment and there was only 1 cabin left. Whew! That was close. Glad I didn't procrastinate.
donheff - the pictures were nice to see. Thank you. I noticed that you went to a Coffee house.

My wife had an electric assist bike in Normandy but decided not to this trip. I bike (recumbent trike) about 10-15 miles every morning. Only takes and hour so I didn't think it would be a problem. I figure since it is rated "Easy" and it must be flat trails and a non-issue. My only concern is balance. A year ago I fell off my regular bike and broke both wrists. Hence the really good insurance.
Looking forward to lots of fresh fruit, beer, cheese, pastries, and chocolate.

Now is the difficult part. The wait begins.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, it has all been settled and the trip, air fare, and insurance have all been paid. It turns out that Wednesday was the last day for full payment and there was only 1 cabin left. Whew! That was close. Glad I didn't procrastinate.
donheff - the pictures were nice to see. Thank you. I noticed that you went to a Coffee house.
Yes we did and my fellow travelers wouldn't have been able to find their way back to the hotel if I hadn't paid close attention.

Quote:
My wife had an electric assist bike in Normandy but decided not to this trip. I bike (recumbent trike) about 10-15 miles every morning. Only takes and hour so I didn't think it would be a problem. I figure since it is rated "Easy" and it must be flat trails and a non-issue. My only concern is balance. A year ago I fell off my regular bike and broke both wrists. Hence the really good insurance.
Looking forward to lots of fresh fruit, beer, cheese, pastries, and chocolate.

Now is the difficult part. The wait begins.

Cheers!
I can't say how your balance will hold out but you won't need the e-assist on this trip. I have noticed that my balance is deteriorating a bit with age but I can handle it by slowing down a tad -- especially on turns and curves.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #8

I just got back from a trip to the Netherlands visiting a friend - we did a mini bike barge trip. She lives near Groningen and there is a little ferry system that winds through the sloughs in that area. We took that on two trips with our bikes - great fun! I also love that it was mainly FLAT :-) I don't like biking hills. It was windy, though. She let me borrow her non-e-bike and she used her e-bike. When we were going in the wind and/or up a little hill, she would whiz past me with that bike. She said it makes biking feel like you have a tailwind. If that is so, sign me up. What a huge difference biking with a tailwind versus head or cross-wind!

In any case, to the OP, I'm sure you'll have a blast.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like so much fun! Hope to see pictures after you get back.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Cycling Holland has a lot of advantages:

It’s flat!!!!!!

There are ample bike lanes often segregated from car traffic.

There is a huge network of cross country bike paths. We really enjoyed these on out last trip, out in the country away from roads!

And using the waterways is a lovely way to see the country.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #11

And it's a musical country, with the ever-present triumphal "DING" from the bicycle bells, which signify that the rider has just run over an oblivious tourist.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
And it's a musical country, with the ever-present triumphal "DING" from the bicycle bells, which signify that the rider has just run over an oblivious tourist.
We lived in Amsterdam for a couple of months two years ago. We bought used bikes. Cycling Amsterdam is very exciting. Great protection from cars and even bike stop lights. The bike merges are the scariest as they are a free for all and pretty much a game of dare. The motor scooters riding down the bike lanes are pretty freaky. And occasionally a tourist steps into the bike lane - can get dicey. We really enjoyed it though. I’m sure we were annoying to the Amsterdammers who are always in a hurry when on their bicycles. We were more leisurely in our travels from one location to another.

Out in the countryside though - uncrowded, peaceful, oodles of room, lots of views to enjoy.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
.... The motor scooters riding down the bike lanes are pretty freaky. And occasionally a tourist steps into the bike lane - can get dicey.....

They made it illegal to ride motor scooters on bike paths in Amsterdam starting this April. We were there in April & still saw some on the paths.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...nes-amsterdam/
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have taken many VBT trips and liked them all. I took the trip you are talking about the other way; it was one of my favorites. Here is an album of photos from the trip. An advantage of barge trips is not having to unpack. The disadvantage is tight quarters.

Edit: I ride road bikes at home but I usually get the hybrids on VBT trips. They are good for the mix of roads and trails you usually encounter. Also, VBT trips are easy going, definitely not a hammer fest.

Thanks for the pictures. What were the "tight quarters" like? How much room? ensuite showers & toilets?
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
They made it illegal to ride motor scooters on bike paths in Amsterdam starting this April. We were there in April & still saw some on the paths.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...nes-amsterdam/
Yes, I kept hearing this would happen. Should make it much more pleasant.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Thanks for the pictures. What were the "tight quarters" like? How much room? ensuite showers & toilets?
Single beds across from each other about 2 feet apart luggage slid under the bed. Shower and toilet were in the room. I can’t remember them so they must have been Ok.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #17

Returned a few days ago from this fantastic trip through Belgium and the Netherlands. We had terrific guides, pilot/captain, and chef. Everything about the trip was excellent. It is a small group of only 24 like minded people so there is no crowd. I have already booked another bike and barge for spring time in the Netherlands and wait listed for another on the Mosel river in July. I just hope I won't need a shoulder replacement before then. We did 150 miles on 6 of the days. I was surprised that I was ready to ride for even more miles each day. It was an easy ride through beautiful countryside and small towns. Roads were mostly paved and away from traffic.

Ate lots of waffles with chocolate and strawberries, cheese, and the best selection of beer I have ever seen. We even had a beer tasting on board. A few picnics along the route and the chef created some amazing meals for us. Even rode through a small village carnival one day. I have never seen a food truck that served escargot. Then there were all the modern and old style windmills in The Netherlands and stopping at a small dairy that makes gouda for local consumption. Then the last day at a large market in Amsterdam for a snack of Stroopwafel. Mmmmmmm!

Can't wait for the next trip. I plan on doing as many bike and barge or just the guided bike trips while I still can. I finally found a way to blow the dough. I don't care about a new car or fancy house. I would rather travel like this.

Cheers!
Old 10-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We did a VBT tour of the Moselle starting at Metz where I was posted with the service. DW got to see a part of the world second nature to me. We started our tour in Luzembourg. DW said why go there? Now it is one of her favourite places. We also did Cologne after the tour. Great experience and good people on the tour. We keep in touch with a few other Americans from the trip.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Returned a few days ago from this fantastic trip through Belgium and the Netherlands. We had terrific guides, pilot/captain, and chef. Everything about the trip was excellent. It is a small group of only 24 like minded people so there is no crowd.
Cheers!

Badger, sounds very much like the bike and barge we took in May 18. Right down to the Gouda farm, Strawberries and Stroopwaffles! We were fortunate with fantastic weather.
Good times.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I really like VBT, we're going to Portugal next month with them.
Sunnymar is offline   Reply With Quote