Bitter End Yacht Club?

Montecfo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Since this too shall pass, we are beginning to do some trip planning.

Many years ago on our first trip to the Caribbean we went to Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda and had a fabulous time. What we liked best was the low-key vibe of the property only accessible by water and so tuned to sailing and boating. We enjoyed the "blue water cruises" to Norman Island, the Baths, JVD and snorkeling locations as well as taking out the Boston whalers for local exploring. Each day was a different adventure.

We have contemplated a return trip but the resort is closed for repairs after the 2018 hurricanes. Reopen date TBD.

I thought someone in this well traveled group would be able to identify a spot where you can have a similar experience, if one exists. Any ideas?

Charter a sailboat and sail around the USVI & BVI. Other ideas are Guana island, Peter Island, or a private villa in BVI or USVI, or try a private island resort in Fiji. We loved Qamea.

I love this type of thinking. We had planned a trip back to Carmel-by-the-Sea in October to our favorite place, a ranch that Clint Eastwood bought handmade in to a very relaxing B&B kind of location. Have been holding on to the reservation since in the past they are booked out about a year. I'm hoping all the craziness and panic is gone by that time and we can make the trip!

We spent some good times there too. Once all of Christmas week. We heard it was badly damaged in Irma in 2017. Has it been rebuilt?

Attachments

• BVI Sail March 2004-0018.jpg
    BVI Sail March 2004-0018.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 51
  • BVI Sail March 2004-0020.jpg
    BVI Sail March 2004-0020.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 48
  • BVI Sail March 2004-0021.jpg
    BVI Sail March 2004-0021.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 50

Many years ago on our first trip to the Caribbean we went to Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda and had a fabulous time. What we liked best was the low-key vibe of the property only accessible by water and so tuned to sailing and boating. We enjoyed the "blue water cruises" to Norman Island, the Baths, JVD and snorkeling locations as well as taking out the Boston whalers for local exploring. Each day was a different adventure.

We have contemplated a return trip but the resort is closed for repairs after the 2018 hurricanes. Reopen date TBD.

I thought someone in this well traveled group would be able to identify a spot where you can have a similar experience, if one exists. Any ideas?

Was just down to Tortola in February. Took a day trip over to Virgin Gorda. They have recovered quite nicely from the hurricane of 3 years ago. Went snorkeling at Norman. All in all had a great time. Good luck.

Yay for this thread. WHEN are you planning on going- are you just leaving that up in the air?

Loved the Bitter End. I heard it was destroyed along with Saba Rock.
The only other place I have been that would even remotely (no pun intended) resemble it was the San Juan islands. Boat only access, secluded, but not Caribean unfortunately.

We love VG too, but have never been to BEYC. Agree w/ Scuba, if you are looking for sailing, the best would be to charter a vessel. We usually DIY and avoid resorts, esp. since we love the local food (Mama Africa’s bullfoot sous and conch roti!!).

Bitter End was destroyed by Hurricane Irma in 2017.

We honeymooned there and I wanted to go back this year for our Nth [a major milestone] anniversary.

Last I checked they are focusing on rebuilding the marina to serve visiting boats...no timeline on when lodging will be rebuilt.

We did a 9 day BVI bareboat trip this past July. Moored at all the places you mentioned. We were amazed at how well most areas have recovered but as others have said Saba Rock and Bitter End were completely destroyed.

For a similar experience to what you described check out Great Exuma in the Bahama Island chain (nothing like Nassau or Freeport) Incredibly beautiful and quiet. There are a couple of very small resorts on Stocking island that would probably be to your liking. Also rent a Boston Whaler during your stay and you can explore hundreds of amazing remote beaches and islands.

We did a 9 day BVI bareboat trip this past July. Moored at all the places you mentioned. We were amazed at how well most areas have recovered but as others have said Saba Rock and Bitter End were completely destroyed.

For a similar experience to what you described check out Great Exuma in the Bahama Island chain (nothing like Nassau or Freeport) Incredibly beautiful and quiet. There are a couple of very small resorts on Stocking island that would probably be to your liking. Also rent a Boston Whaler during your stay and you can explore hundreds of amazing remote beaches and islands.

That's a promising idea. We have not been to the Exumas but on list.

Thanks dfarr!

We love VG too, but have never been to BEYC. Agree w/ Scuba, if you are looking for sailing, the best would be to charter a vessel. We usually DIY and avoid resorts, esp. since we love the local food (Mama Africa’s bullfoot sous and conch roti!!).

I did explore this idea some and may do at some point. I would need to eliminate the chance of getting a bad captain or cabinmates. Would require more research.
I think the back of napkin plan would be to hang at St. John, do some boat day trips to say the Indians, Willie T, Norman, maybe stay on Anegeda a couple of days ( a new island for us), JVD for sure.

Maybe a revised plan would be a week in STJ, then move base to Tortola for the day tripping base since most of my targets are in BVI. Eliminate customs hassles.

Also had fantasized about staying on Virgin Gorda somewhere accessible to The Baths, to experience that early outside of the travel window of day trippers.

Ideas welcome?

We are the same. We do not do all-inclusives or "resorts". We like to explore the entire island, eat local food etc. Get with the people.

The sole exception has been BEYC, which is more a watersports resort than some hoidy toidy drinks with umbrellas type place.

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Yay for this thread. WHEN are you planning on going- are you just leaving that up in the air?

This summer. Nothing firm yet. My thinking is that if any place is safe this summer it might be the Caribbean due to being warm and also reduced crowds, no cruise ships.

Without a plan it will never happen.

When we were younger, we too went to Bitter End and simply loved everything about it.

It was comparable to when we went to Kona Village Resort years earlier for our honeymoon. KVR was totally destroyed in one of the hurricanes that hit Hawaii years ago, and has been through finance/legal issues with Deutsche Bank. A few years ago they had resolved their issues and have been rebuilding since. I just checked, and they are planning to reopen in 2022.

https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/kona-village

We have rented houses on Virgin Gorda at Mahoe Bay and really enjoyed it. A short drive to the Baths and not quite as hot on that side. Also rented a house on Jost Van Dyke which is an amazing experience if you like to be away from it all. The challenge on Jost is that you have to do your provisioning on St Thomas or Tortolla and transport it. Very limited supplies available on Jost. VG has decent stores and pretty much most things you need. We always take our own meat and cheese when we visit.

I am not sure what your budget would be, but have had people directly tell me they loved their time at Mango Bay, Oil Nut Bay, Guavaberry, and Little Dix (different people, not one family at all 4). Mango Bay was pretty devastated, but rebuilt and just opened 11/19. If you read the reviews, you’ll get an idea of where you might feel comfortable. Most places are even more beautiful than pics on TA, esp. Little Dix which is absolutely gorgeous (and also rebuilt) but very posh, like tuck in your shirt kind of place.
VG is pretty small, and having your own car is perfect for exploring. Be sure to get a Suzuki. Baths are easy to get to from anywhere, and if you stay on island, then you can go in the morning, and then go back in the afternoon on the same ticket.

There are a few grocers on island, which between them, have a good selection of fresh foods. For us, it’s easier to eat locals food, mostly take out, but delicious, and pack just a few things (like the particular brand of olive oil, salt, pasta that we like). Scoops for ice cream everyday (try guava).

St. John’s is definitely very different, more developed, and also Tortola, than VG, and the beaches are MUCH busier.

Don’t forget to completely avoid hurricane season, b/c it would be a real bummer to avoid COVID but then brush up to a hurricane.

Also, it’s worth it to bring your own snorkeling gear.

Guana Island is a resort, but our sailboat moored near there and it looked really secluded and nice. It is up and running post Irma.

P.S.-

Thanks for your post. I think staying on VG is an interesting idea. We did very little outside of BEYC before. I think the question.

We usually pack frozen meat etc when we go to the islands, as well as our snorkel gear (in snorkel backpacks that we love).

Scuba-

Will have to check out guana. We have a few islands we still need to explore for sure!

P.S.-

Thanks for your post. I think staying on VG is an interesting idea. We did very little outside of BEYC before. I think the question.

We usually pack frozen meat etc when we go to the islands, as well as our snorkel gear (in snorkel backpacks that we love).

Scuba-

Will have to check out guana. We have a few islands we still need to explore for sure!

We really liked Grenada and Dominica for self-exploring (vs a resort). Also many years ago we stayed at PSV in the Grenadines. Definitely a splurge but very nice!

I wanted to revive this interesting thread since I am now actively planning a trip to BVI.

Would welcome any recent experiences or new perspectives.

Still have great memories of our trip there over 25 years ago.

We flew into St. Thomas, then took a ferry to Virgin Gorda, and then the express to Bitter End. I remember we got ourselves to the dock where the express docks and we had about 2 hours to kill. It was at a beach. We did a 360 to see what was around, and right there on the beach, not even 200 feet from where we were standing, a beach bar - how convenient!

Last edited:
They have largely redeveloped it. But not quite ready to commit. If we do go to Virgin Gorda we will definitely visit. I hear the food is excellent.

Staying there around 25 years ago was our first and only all inclusive, although it was not luxury digs. It was all about the water sports.

This time we want to explore the whole island and also go to Anageda, Cooper Island and Jost Van Dyke.

At least that is the outline I am beginning to fill in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom