Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Booked for Punta Cana D.R.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Booked for Punta Cana D.R.

Headed to a resort for a week. Anyone been there lately?
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes.

What would you like to know?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I was there like 15 years ago. Just wondering if it's changed much. How bad is crime... Any typical scams going on? I'll mostly be on a resort, but, I like to be prepared.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
I was there like 15 years ago. Just wondering if it's changed much. How bad is crime... Any typical scams going on? I'll mostly be on a resort, but, I like to be prepared.
Punta Cana has many more resort developments than 15 years ago, but otherwise I doubt that you'll find that much has changed.

Tourists in that region are almost exclusively American, so if you are one you'll have plenty of your fellow countrymen as fellow guests.

The great majority of the resorts are to all intents and purposes crime-free.

Off the resorts there are indeed some scams run on tourists, but violence is relatively rare. As long as you use common sense you should be just fine. Don't flash money around, don't get involved in prostitution or drugs, don't wander around by yourself in the middle of the night, etc. As I say this is just common sense, and also applies to behaviour back home.

There's a lot to like about the D.R.: friendly people, nice climate, beautiful beaches (I prefer the south coast), lots to see and do. Have a good vacation!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Punta Cana has many more resort developments than 15 years ago, but otherwise I doubt that you'll find that much has changed.

Tourists in that region are almost exclusively American, so if you are one you'll have plenty of your fellow countrymen as fellow guests.

The great majority of the resorts are to all intents and purposes crime-free.

Off the resorts there are indeed some scams run on tourists, but violence is relatively rare. As long as you use common sense you should be just fine. Don't flash money around, don't get involved in prostitution or drugs, don't wander around by yourself in the middle of the night, etc. As I say this is just common sense, and also applies to behaviour back home.

There's a lot to like about the D.R.: friendly people, nice climate, beautiful beaches (I prefer the south coast), lots to see and do. Have a good vacation!
Dang, there went my vacation...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We don't find that most tourists are Americans. We see more Europeans and Canadians than people from the US, although that will probably continue to change.
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

...and by the way, we consider that a good thing. It's nice to see a mix. We went to Cabo once at it seemed to be the fat beer swilling WalMart crowd.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
. We went to Cabo once at it seemed to be the fat beer swilling WalMart crowd.
So that's where my neighbors were..
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post

I'm your neighbor?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
I thought they were all on the Carnival cruise ship out of Galveston...
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, just wanted to follow up. Had a great time, weather perfect. Resort was pretty wonderful. Overall, no problems. I was a worried before my trip, because, it was almost too cheap on such short notice, all inclusive resort was like $60 a night + my airfare. Ended up getting upgraded to the nicest part of the resort, nice room, ocean and pool view, 100 yards from beach, in room wifi, premium bars, restaurants & lobby... And surfdaddy was right, mostly non Americans. Met germans, canadians, russians, swiss, luxemburgians... and a few americans. Anyway, not much had changed since my last time there, except the main roads were a lot nicer.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Well, just wanted to follow up. Had a great time, weather perfect. Resort was pretty wonderful. Overall, no problems. I was a worried before my trip, because, it was almost too cheap on such short notice, all inclusive resort was like $60 a night + my airfare. Ended up getting upgraded to the nicest part of the resort, nice room, ocean and pool view, 100 yards from beach, in room wifi, premium bars, restaurants & lobby... And surfdaddy was right, mostly non Americans. Met germans, canadians, russians, swiss, luxemburgians... and a few americans. Anyway, not much had changed since my last time there, except the main roads were a lot nicer.
I like the change of pace from the US. Lots of topless women and thong bathing suits. Not that I noticed, of course.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jetpack,

How did you book your AI? Did you use a travel agent or go through a website?
DH and I have wanted to try an AI vacation for years, but I find the choices a bit overwhelming. Your advice is appreciated. TIA.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Jetpack,

How did you book your AI? Did you use a travel agent or go through a website?
DH and I have wanted to try an AI vacation for years, but I find the choices a bit overwhelming. Your advice is appreciated. TIA.

Jumping in here, we've booked AIs through Costco, Apple Vacations, and CheapCaribbean.com. Happy with all of them.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually just book through Expedia. The reviews are quite helpful. It's amazing how much the prices can go up down though. December is my favorite inexpensive time to go, I think the price of my same trip is triple in January.

The only problem I've ever had with them is on the ground transportation, and so I usually just get a taxi instead.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, Surf and Jetpack. Your feedback is helpful.

DH and i have wanted to take an AI vacation for years. I am the vacation planner, and I think i get hung up with deciding on a great place at a great price and coordinating the flights. You guys did this. I can, too...and will. The first time booking an AI is surely the scariest.

Thanks again.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Thanks, Surf and Jetpack. Your feedback is helpful.

DH and i have wanted to take an AI vacation for years. I am the vacation planner, and I think i get hung up with deciding on a great place at a great price and coordinating the flights. You guys did this. I can, too...and will. The first time booking an AI is surely the scariest.

Thanks again.
I've found that by far the most valuable site for research is tripadvisor. You can see the rankings of the hotels and read reviews, see pictures, etc. We pretty much knew what we were going to be getting before we went, even though it was a foreign country where we had never been. Combine that with one of the booking options that I mentioned earlier, all who offer or include transportation, and the experience is pretty painless.