Boston trip - suggestions?

jebmke

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My wife and I are headed to Boston for a few days in early September. Vacation trip, not business. We lived there for over 15 years but left in mid 90s. I am interested in suggestions on any new things to check out. We have done most of the usual tourist stuff in the area. Will have a car but not interested in real long day trips (e.g. no longer than say an hour out driving distance). Any suggestions welcome.

Fenway Park. Good thing your plans are for early September, because it looks like the place will be closed for the season beginning in early October. :(

We will be there in Sept.. Fenway gives a tour every hour for $20 .Have you considered taking the train to Portland Maine for the day?

Boston Duck tour. Salem, the Witch City is a half hour away by car/train (train is easier), Cape Cod is nice in Sept. Go to Blue Man Group if you get a chance...pricey but fun!

One gem is The Harvard Museum of Natural History. Home - Harvard Museum of Natural History

Harvard Square is a good visit for lunch or dinner.

For a free museum and free parking, you may visit The National Heritage Museum in Lexington, MA. National Heritage Museum > Home

The North End of Boston has a "Little Italy" community with some of the best restaurants in the state. It also has some nice historical areas to see and visit. northendboston.com

From the North End, you may walk to historic Faneuil Hall. Faneuil Hall.com - Faneuil Hall Marketplace Boston, MA Home Page

You may even walk The Freedom Trail. The Freedom Trail

You may do some boating in the Charles River at Charles River Canoe & Kayak. Boston Rental Location on Soldier's Field Road in Allston/Brighton :: Charles River Canoe & Kayak

I could go on and on since there is so much to do, depending on your interests and energy level.

Lived in the area all my life. If you like hiking go for a hike in the blue hills. Great blue takes about 45 mins to hike up and there are great views of the city. If you are really into hiking pick up a map of the Blue Hills as there are many miles of additional trails beyone the Great Blue hike. If you like kayaking try Charles River Canoe I think they are in Newton too.. I also like Walden Pond has a nice walk around it. Go early it's alot nicer when no one is around. The seaport area has been greatly updated and you can check out the ICA and lots of new restaurants. If you don't mind a 1 hour drive the Whaling museum in New Bedford is really great. The Museum of fine arts has been expanded and probably worth checking out. Off the top of my head these are some of my favorites.. I will add more if I think of them.

If you like kayaking try Charles River Canoe I think they are in Newton too..
I lived in Newton for 20 years before moving to Florida. At the time, the canoe / kayak rental was on the Charles River adjacent to the Newton Marriott.

I suggest the Holocaust Museum. It's by far better at night. It's small (probably only a 30 minute visit) and outdoors and shockingly powerful. I think it's technically called the New England Holocaust Museum. We made it walking stop on our way back from dinner.

I lived in Boston for 5 years, and I rarely left the Boston-Cambridge downtown areas. It is all very nice, especially in early fall. So many fun ethnic restaurants, harvard haunts, etc.

When I got stir crazy I might go up to Cape Ann, or Plum Island for some swimming.

Ha

Last edited:
Fenway Park. Good thing your plans are for early September, because it looks like the place will be closed for the season beginning in early October. :(

Sadly you are correct. I am 67 years old and have been a Sox fan for many years. Until 2004 and 2007 I used to say "Wait until next year." Unfortunately, those days may have returned.

"Codzilla" looks like it might be fun. It's new since you were here last, I think. I haven't been on this one, but my son and I were on the Chicago version a few years back. That was fun, and AFAIK, Boston Harbor is more visually interesting than the lake.

If you like sushi, go to O Ya. Best sushi I ever had and maybe the best meal of my life. Prepare to spend as much as your plane tickets, however.

I live in the Boston area and I highly recommend Harvard square in Cambridge for good ethnic food. The waterfront, North end (Italian section) and Quincy Market could be covered in one day and if you want to shop for great deals the Wrentham Outlet Mall and Patriots place (Home of Gillette Stadium and the Patriots) are 45 minutes drive from the city.

BTW. If you go to the North end make sure you stop at Mike's Pastry for the best Cannoli in North America.

Back
Top Bottom