Join Early Retirement Today

Bucket list trip to Oahu
Old 05-24-2014, 04:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bucket list trip to Oahu

Always wanted to go booked the trip quite a while ago now we are a few short weeks out. Anybody been recently? Suggestions.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 04:53 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We spent a week there in February.

I enjoyed Pearl Harbor immensely. You'll be told that you should reserve far in advance or need to book a ridiculously expensive tour to see the USS Arizona Memorial. We just walked up to the ticket counter early on a Saturday morning no less and had tickets for the first boat. Just for fun I checked in later in the day and they still had tickets available. Plan on spending the good part of a day there or more if you take in all the tours.

We also hiked to the top of Diamond Head. That was very worthwhile. Make sure to bring water and comfortable shoes.

We also like the tour of the Iolani Palace. Very nice.

Have a great trip.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I find Oahu the least interesting of the H. islands to visit, except for Pearl Harbor which is definitely worth the trip. Besides the Arizona, there is the USS Missouri to visit and also a WWII submarine to tour which I found fascinating (assuming you haven't been on a submarine before).

You will naturally spend some time on Waikiki beach. The beach is normally very crowded, but watching the different people on the beach is certainly part of the experience. The water is very shallow, incidentally, so you can walk a long way out and get a different view back to the beach so plan on getting wet.

A drive around the island is fairly quick and enjoyable. It gives you a break from the congestion of the tourist area and it is fascinating to see how varied such a small area can be. If you happen to dive, Oahu isn't the best of the islands, but there are a few very interesting wreck dives worth seeing.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Bucket list trip to Oahu
Old 05-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #4

Bucket list trip to Oahu

My accommodations are not in wakiki but at a private resort. We love condo vacationing and cooking our own breakfast. The kids love snorkeling and fishing. The adults love lounging, walking the shops and people watching. I would love to go into a submarine.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

We love to snorkel at Hanauma Bay. It's like swimming in a fish aquarium. Last time we swam alongside a sea turtle.
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #6

Been to HI 7 times. Pearl Harbor is a historical must. The best time I had was body surfing with my son on an unimportant beach on the west side of the island. Many local kids enjoyed the same thing. The cool thing about Hawaii is...it's Hawaii. Rent some snorkel gear and look underwater. Even at Waikiki there are tropical fish abound. We walked on Waikiki in the evening, enjoyed the water with the locals. It was beautiful then. Haven't been there in 12 years. It is a tiny beach compared to Venice or Santa Monica, CA.

I would take a flight and spend time off Oahu if you can...
Big island=volcano!!!
Maui=better beaches and Haleakala
Kauai=my favorite island. More old Hawaii, wilder, more turtles and fish and hiking.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The only time I've been to HI, I arrived via a submarine (on the way back to San Diego from the far north Pacific). That was 1989 so I'm sure it has changed a bit.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #8

Do some Google searching on the items I list, and see if they interest you.

I lived there for 11 years. Always liked Sea Life Park. The Polynesian Cultural center is a good educational event. Pearl Harbor is a must, if you are the least patriotic, and a cheap ride.

Ala Moana shopping center was the largest in the USA at one point, maybe the world. If you like to shop, there is always the international market place.

Plenty of beaches to see. If you want to see big waves, go to Sunset Beach.

There is the Pali Lookout, which is very historical. It will be windy and cold.

Rent a car. Go on a island tour, it's only ~60 miles. Stop at every scenic point and make a day of it.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 on the hike to the top of Diamond Head.
Go to Mokuleia and take a ride in a glider. They have many different plans, it is a great way to see the North Shore. It is the one thing that all my friends who come here to visit say they remember most after they leave....(If they indeed took me up on my suggestion)
Ko Olina is a much better place to enjoy lounging on a beach as opposed to Waikiki but you need to go early because there is limited parking, Google Ko Olina and look at the pictures.
I came here on vacation in 1980 and haven't left yet.....
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I went recently. Strongly recommend Diamond Head like others have said. Suggest starting about an hour before sunrise. Bring a flashlight. It's spectacular. You however won't be alone as hundreds of others will do the same. Also like the North Shore to shop for trinkets. And the asian food in an around Waikiki. Have fun.
DTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Matsumoto Shave Ice in Haleiwa on the North Shore.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
We love to snorkel at Hanauma Bay. It's like swimming in a fish aquarium. Last time we swam alongside a sea turtle.
+1

That said, we really like Maui if you want an alternative for part of your time
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #13

Take very seriously the warnings about locking your car and do NOT leave anything- ANYTHING-in the car that might tempt thieves. They have a serious Smash and Dash problem - so much that there are permanent signs up in the parking lots warning you about this.

Why in this day and age of easier digital surveillance they cannot do something to stop this raises some interesting questions about priorities. Personally, if I were retired in Hawaii, I would love to form a citizen's watch to crack down on these people who could not care less about destroying people's happy once in a lifetime vacation memories. (No, I have not been a victim, but you probably will see some of them, this problem is so common)

...what would they do in Singapore to stop these thieves?
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote