Budapest Hotel/Apartment Suggestions

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We'll be in Budapest in June 2019. There are so many options of where to stay. We've never been there. Any suggestions? We book with hotels.com, and reviews might not give the whole picture. A 3 star might actually be a great place.

We stayed at Ibis downtown for three nights. Three stars. Nothing special. Very clean and well maintained. No surprises.

If you join the Accor Hotel program (free) they often offer discounts for members. Some are exceptionally good if you do a non refundable prepay and include breakfast. Not just their Ibis either, but all Accor hotels-Novatel, McGallery,Sofitel, Mercure, etc.

I was there in Jan 2018 and stayed in an Air BnB. It was fine for me, but I cannot recommend it as it was a bit less clean that I would have liked. IBIS is a fine chain. Pest and Buda are quite different. I prefer Pest, but do a little research and see what you prefer. They are just on opposite sides of the river, but quite different. Bon Voyage!

We stayed at the Novotel across the river from Parliament (yes, I cannot tell my Buda from my Pest). It was very nice. Great city--jealous!

I was there in Jan 2018 and stayed in an Air BnB. It was fine for me, but I cannot recommend it as it was a bit less clean that I would have liked. IBIS is a fine chain. Pest and Buda are quite different. I prefer Pest, but do a little research and see what you prefer. They are just on opposite sides of the river, but quite different. Bon Voyage!
I'm investigating that! Many like Buda side, better views, hilly and easy to walk to the Pest side. I did not know the difference. Appreciate the info!

We stayed at the Novotel across the river from Parliament (yes, I cannot tell my Buda from my Pest). It was very nice. Great city--jealous!

You made me look it up as I didn't remember either.
My mnemonic from now on will be there are pests in parliament.
So you were on the Buda side.

How was the Novotel ?

My husband and I were in Budapest for a week this past October and stayed here on the Pest side: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15963173?guests=1&adults=1

In Europe, we try to always stay in an apartment that has a kitchen and preferably a king- sized bed and a washing machine. This one checked all those boxes, and it was also very walkable and convenient to public transportation to all the interesting sights, restaurants and shopping. Enjoy Budapest!

I recommend the Gellert. I stayed there several years ago and it is gorgeous. Lots of pools filled with mineral water at various temperatures both inside and out. One of Europe's spas. Close to downtown.
Danubius Hotel Gellert Budapest

If you stay at a different hotel, you must visit the Szecheny public pools. It really is as gorgeous at the pictures show. Quite affordable. People of all ages and sizes are there so don't be shy.
Szechenyi Baths – Szechenyi Spa Baths Budapest – Guide & Booking

Budapest is a gem. Enjoy your trip!

We stayed at the Bohem Art Hotel a few years ago; it's on the Pest side a few blocks from the touristy area. Small rooms but one of the best breakfast buffets I've had. Cost about $100/night.

Also stayed at the Parliament Hotel. It used to be a Best Western, also nice but further away from things. You can get a very nice hotel in Budapest for about $100/night.

You made me look it up as I didn't remember either.
So you were on the Buda side.

How was the Novotel ?

I really like Novotels (and hotels) and absent a recommendation for a one-of-a-kind place, they or another Accor brand are our go-to place in Europe. The Novotel Danube in Budapest was very nice, with bar and restaurant. We walked everywhere and also took the subway from the stop not far from the hotel. It is on the river and that was also a plus for us. Website https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-6151-novotel-budapest-danube/index.shtml

Budapest is our favorite new to us place to travel. We stay at Paty's Place, a ground floor apartment in the absolutely best location in Pest. The underground station is about 150 yards as is the Opera House. A supermarket, two bars and a great bakery are 1/2 block away--less than 100 yards. And I think we paid $65 a night. Nicest rest room we've ever had. Andy Croyton (from England) manages a bunch of apartments and can be reached on BudapestApartmentService.com The apartment is owned by an American that's fallen in love with the region.

That is perfect.

We stayed in an Airbnb in Pest near the Great Market Hall. I really liked the location. We could walk to the trolley line that runs along the river and ride downtown in 10 minutes. My vegan girlfriend loved the produce sellers in the market.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom