Join Early Retirement Today

Buffalo to Savannah
Old 01-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Buffalo to Savannah

We are planning a spring trip to Charleston/Savannah area. Traveling from Buffalo, I looking for suggestions and help. MapQuest suggests Rts 79-77-95. I’m looking for first night stop in either Charleston WV, Beckley WV or Statesville NC. All about 7-8 hours from Bflo. Statesville would be 10 hours from home and 4-5 to Savannah. Any former road warriors who traveled this route that can recommend which town to stop for the night. I’ve read that Beckley has mostly 1 star hotels with 4 star pricing.
Bflotomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've stayed at the KOA in Statesville a couple of times when we were going up to Floyd, VA for music festivals, bit other than that don't know much about the accommodations.

If you need any help on Charleston or Savannah, I'm happy to help. Tourist advice is in our DNA down here.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Charleston isn't on that route so I don't see how that is up for consideration. I've stayed at cheap motels there a couple of times, you pretty much get what you paid for.

Haven't stayed in Beckley but driven through. I haven't heard that 1*/4* story about Beckley, and I'd check actual prices to see how true it is, but I wouldn't be surprised if prices are a bit high since it's where 64 & 77 come together. TripAdvisor doesn't show any hotels rated 2 or below, something neither Charleston or Statesville can claim, fwiw.

Don't know too much about Statesville except that I took 77 south onto 40 West in October and there is major construction with very little helpful signage and I was lucky to get on the right exit for I-40. So if you go for that, I'd be sure to get a hotel off I-77 without having to go onto I-40 at all.

Mountain driving through WV can be a bit tense with all of the curves and hills. But, I-77 south of I-81 was a very nice uncrowded drive, so I personally wouldn't mind driving extra hours at the end of the day on something easy like that.

I'd probably make my decision based on how far I wanted to drive, and avoiding an area that seemed way overpriced and any places with poor reviews. I just want a clean safe place to sleep and be back on my way.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another place to consider for a stop is Wyetheville, VA. It's not a big town but because 81 and 77 share a common route through the area, there are quite a few hotels. I agree on the driving. That is our usual route to Florida which we usually drive non-stop so don't stay. The driving can be a challenge in southern PA and on highway 19 down to Beckley. Charleston is nice but I wouldn't drive that far out of my way just to stay in a motel, unless the weather is bad and you wanted to avoid 19. If that were the case and I were planning to stop anyway then I would just stop further north and wait on the weather, especially if it were night time.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I didn't consider Wyetheville but I will look in to it along with the others.
Happy Trails
Bflotomny is offline   Reply With Quote