Join Early Retirement Today

Calling a Cruise Ship Home: See the World, See it Again
Old 02-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just when you think you've read about most alternative FIRE lifestyles, another interesting one in this NYT article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/b...ore-ipad-share
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There have been examples of this before, and it is interesting. I can't imagine doing it for 20 years, but if you can afford it (it's not cheap, but not outrageous either, $70-$90K/yr?), I could see the appeal of doing it for a few months?

It would be just my luck I'd find myself trapped on one of the norovirus or otherwise violently ill cruise ships...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I remember reading many years ago about a lady who paid some cruise company a big lump sum to be able to cruise for the rest of her life... she was probably one of the first ones to do this and IIRC she paid in the neighborhood of $250K... (but, who knows if my memory is good now)...

She stayed on one ship for awhile before moving on... but I think she was aboard almost all the time...

Now it looks like the cruise lines are a bit smarter and changing by the trip... if you have the money it does sound interesting....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:11 AM   #4

This lifestyle sounds pretty good, at least at first. If I were to consider this, I would not keep doing Caribbean cruises over and over on large mass market ships. Would get pretty boring pretty quickly.

There are special purpose "condo" cruise ships but they haven't really done that well. Resale prices are not increasing and the ships require a lot of maintenance. Suites are bigger and the whole ship is more geared to long term residents. By the way, it looks like the subject of the article should spend some more time in the ship's well equipped fitness facility.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The article describes Mario Salcedo, 67, who lives on a Royal Caribbean ship for the last 20 years, at a cost of $70K/year.

I will have to say it does not sound appealing to me either. Maybe I would be more interested in a perpetual world-cruise ship in a larger suite, but the price would be way out of reach for me. And then, I most likely would get bored after a year or two.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #6

It sounds very appalling indeed.

I´m a free range animal, even if I tend to stay in the barn a lot. I do see many upsides too though: easier social interaction, few practical worries, entertainment nearby, change of scenery. Like assisted living really.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
It sounds very appalling indeed.

I´m a free range animal, even if I tend to stay in the barn a lot. I do see many upsides too though: easier social interaction, few practical worries, entertainment nearby, change of scenery. Like assisted living really.
Yes it would be like assisted living, but without friendships, as nearly everyone else on the ship is there for a week, so the conversations would be like groundhog day, constantly repeating to different folks "your story" and listening to them say "This is our x time crusing, we always wanted to do this cruise".
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

How apt is a comparison between a cruise ship and an ALF? Cruise ships may provide medical care, but they aren't going to help passengers dress themselves or go to the bathroom, are they?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Cruise ships may provide medical care, but they aren't going to help passengers dress themselves or go to the bathroom, are they?
They supply emergency medical care. A friend had to go to the hospital 200 miles south of Buenos Aires, then catch up with the ship on his own. His wife accompanied him and stayed in a hotel. Transport to Buenos Aires was their responsibility as well as their hotel there. Then a plane to Rio.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yes it would be like assisted living, but without friendships, as nearly everyone else on the ship is there for a week, so the conversations would be like groundhog day, constantly repeating to different folks "your story" and listening to them say "This is our x time crusing, we always wanted to do this cruise".
No Groundhog Day for me. My "story" would change every two weeks - just to keep it interesting.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't last that long living on a cruise ship. I'd eat myself to death.

Every year, we swear we're going to slow down on taking cruises. We've been to virtually every island in the Eastern and Western Caribbean numerous times. And we've taken 2 European cruises in the last 2 years.

We're leaving in 3 weeks on repositioning cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome as the price was cheaper than we could have stayed at home. And I found a $238 one way flight to the U.S. from Budapest. Here we go again.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #12

I wouldn't do it forever but might be interested to find a great cruise loyalty program and see some of the world for a season or a year from the same bedroom without unpacking.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #13

Why not take an around the world cruise if you're concerned about seeing the same scenery?
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #14
Administrator

A stint with Uncle Sam's Cruise Line cured me of any desire to do this.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
nightly ballroom dancing
Count me out...... Maybe once in a while, but nightly? No thanks.

Also agree with the comments that it's ridiculous to compare the cost of long term cruising with living in a high tier assisted living facility. It's apples to oranges. Cruising provides no "assistance" to those with special needs. In fact, I think you'd have to be in fair or better health to live on board a cruise ship and have no issues requiring periodic health maintenance.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #16

I admit this does not appeal to me. I have yet to take any cruise yet. The idea of overeating doesn't appeal to me.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
The idea of overeating doesn't appeal to me.
It's not mandatory.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
It's not mandatory.
I'm a "see food" person. I eat what I see.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:05 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I'm a "see food" person. I eat what I see.
Knew a guy who was a 'light eater'.......soon as it got light, he started eating.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Knew a guy who was a 'light eater'.......soon as it got light, he started eating.
But he was heavy!