Calling all sailors

tessaduncan

Recycles dryer sheets
The post in another thread made me aware that there are some sailors on this forum who might be able to advise re: a Lagoon 500 cat to charter (bareboat) on a one-way from St. Vincent to Grenada next
Feb-Mar. No luck so far trying the usual charters (Moorings, TMM, etc).

Also, does anyone have any tips for getting to SV from the states without island hopping? We've gone thru St. Lucia before but rather not have to drive across St. Lucia to get to the other airport - we'd rather spend less time on land/in the air & more on the sea :).

Friends liked Barefoot Yacht Charters, just be aware that their boats are older than usual suspects. Check their St. Vincent fleet: Barefoot Yacht Charters - Yachts and Rates
As far as flying to SV - tough luck - I think St. Lucia is your best bet. You can probably charter from St.Lucia, but than you have 70nm passage to Grenadines on your first day. Another possibility is a loop from Granada, maybe 6-7hr sail typically with wind on your nose. In either case you would need to go through customs.
sailor,
who has not made it to Grenadines yet, but hopes one day to show up with his own boat there.
PS: Congratulations on your finances, if Lagoon 500 is your idea of LBYM :greetings10:

Thanks. I did check their fleet and no Lagoon 500 :-( We've chartered those the last few times because we like that all four cabins are the same size (4 couples, no squabbling - important when you spend that much time together) and I need a hatch over my berth so I can 'sleep under the stars'.

We've sailed a loop out of St. Vincent before (down to Union Island) and absolutely loved it. This time we'd like to get down to Grenada but only have 7-10 days so were thinking a one-way.

When we were there a couple of years ago, we flew in thru St. Lucia - which involved a harrowing (but fun) taxi ride across the island from airport to airport which necessitated an extra day. St. L is beautiful but also crippled by poverty; we had such a guilt trip :(
These trips have really been our only splurge and only since we hit the big Five-Oh. I've clipped many a coupon over the years. We have to take advantage now as our captain (my cousin) is nearing 70 and not sure how many more trips like this he'll be able to take. Also the rest of us are no spring chickens either and even just one us getting sick/not being to go would ruin it for all of us... and yes, we are very blessed to be able to have & afford this opportunity.
As for the Grenadines - I'd highly recommend it but don't want to - it'll get too crowded! :) God forbid the cruise ships start coming :nonono:

When we were there a couple of years ago, we flew in thru St. Lucia - which involved a harrowing (but fun) taxi ride across the island from airport to airport which necessitated an extra day. St. L is beautiful but also crippled by poverty; we had such a guilt trip :(

I visited St Lucia in 2006 and I agree. I took the coach from The international airport at Hewanorra to the resort I stayed at north of Castries. FWIW the resort was The Body Holiday, which I can recommend. The coach ride was exciting enough and I think it might have been harrowing in a taxi! On the way home I splurged and took the helicopter from the regional airport at Castries to Hewanorra. We went right over the Pitons and Marigot Bay. It was fantastic.

I guess those were the days before I really got into LBYM!

Back
Top Bottom