Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I'd recommend St. John, USVI. We rented a house a couple years ago with pool and hot tub for $3500 a week. We went with another couple. Great secluded beaches are available. We later saw our house on one of those TV shows, Island House Hunters or something. Price? A cool million.
St John, USVI was hit hard by a Hurricane last season. A co-worker and her husband went there recently. The home they had rented was nearly destroyed so they were upgraded to a much nicer home - which still needed minor work.

My co-worker said all the trees were cut off at about 8-10 feet above ground by the winds. All the hiking trails were covered with broken glass and other debris. Many/all of the large resorts were still closed, and with them their dining options.

We love the USVI but it sounds as if another year is recommended for the tourist/guest infrastructure to be restored.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 01:31 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
St John, USVI was hit hard by a Hurricane last season. A co-worker and her husband went there recently. The home they had rented was nearly destroyed so they were upgraded to a much nicer home - which still needed minor work.

My co-worker said all the trees were cut off at about 8-10 feet above ground by the winds. All the hiking trails were covered with broken glass and other debris. Many/all of the large resorts were still closed, and with them their dining options.

We love the USVI but it sounds as if another year is recommended for the tourist/guest infrastructure to be restored.

St. John was definitely hit harder than St. Thomas. We were there 6 weeks after the second hurricane hit. As my earlier post indicated, major resorts on both islands are still closed, but you can rent a lovely private villa on either island. Most of the restaurants and other attractions on St. Thomas have been open for months. We were there for 2 weeks in April 2018 and had a wonderful time. The islands need tourism to recover and they are US territories, and the beaches are amazingly beautiful again!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:22 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
St. John was definitely hit harder than St. Thomas. We were there 6 weeks after the second hurricane hit. As my earlier post indicated, major resorts on both islands are still closed, but you can rent a lovely private villa on either island. Most of the restaurants and other attractions on St. Thomas have been open for months. We were there for 2 weeks in April 2018 and had a wonderful time. The islands need tourism to recover and they are US territories, and the beaches are amazingly beautiful again!
Our last visit to St Thomas had us staying at the Secret Harbor resort. I understand they were up and running again only a few days after the hurricane, as soon as the engineers confirmed there was no structural damage to the units.

Although I did notice that a 3BR unit currently for sale in this resort had 250 MPH wind rated sliding patio doors installed this year. I interpret this as meaning patio door damage was common.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our favourite beaches were on Grenada.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:50 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Our last visit to St Thomas had us staying at the Secret Harbor resort. I understand they were up and running again only a few days after the hurricane, as soon as the engineers confirmed there was no structural damage to the units.

Although I did notice that a 3BR unit currently for sale in this resort had 250 MPH wind rated sliding patio doors installed this year. I interpret this as meaning patio door damage was common.

We actually looked at some condos at Secret Harbor after the storms. They did get minor patio damage (balcony railings, sliders) but overall had minimal damage. Nice property.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote