Carolinas in March?

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My wife and I are thinking about a trip south (we live in Vermont) in late March. We're not big on Florida and thought that the Carolinas might be nice that time of year. (Any place is nice that time of year compared to Vermont!)

We would try to visit friends/relatives in Kure Beach and Bermuda Run, NC if possible. But we are mainly looking for some combination of relaxation, activity (hiking, walking), nice dining and maybe a museum or two. We do not play golf and our aging light Irish skin doesn't like to spend a lot of time under the sun on beaches.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

We have a condo in Kure Beach and love it there at all times of the year except the summer when we rent it out to sunlovers. There want be a lot of people there which is part of the charm. Take the ferry over to Southport. Eat at Freddies. Walk on the beach and look for sharks teeth. Go to the aquarium and Fort Fisher. Walk the trails in Carolina Beach State Park. Rent a Kayak and paddle over to Zekes Island at the end of the island. Walk to see where the Fort Fisher hermit lived and then to the cove at Fort Fisher Recreation Area. If you have a 4 wheel drive get a permit and drive to the end of the island on the north end. Eat at the Deck House. Eat at Havana's.
kbst

North Carolina in March is better than Vermont, but not a place to go to get away from winter. Unless you get really lucky. I think you'd have better luck in SC. Charleston is a great town, although I haven't been there in decades. Sarah in SC can give you a better idea of your chances for good weather. Another good option would be Savannah. There's plenty of history and touristy things to do. I doubt you'd have too much sun.

SC was great at the end of October. Warm and uncrowded. We stayed in Myrtle Beach and even swam in the ocean every day. I suspect, as stated above, it will be nicer than Vermont and probably without the mosquitoes we had.

Back
Top Bottom