Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2023, 11:18 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post

Unless you wish to maintain voice and text message communication with people back in the USA using your regular US number. There's room for both paths to be the "right choice" for different people who have different priorities.
You touch on the issue I currently have.
I'd like to keep using my USA normal number, but I've gotten various other plans when traveling and need to update my important contacts of the number.

Last summer, I found out a friend had 5 different numbers for me and someone texted an old number and wondered why I didn't respond

I'm just not keen to spend a lot, so interested in lower cost ways of having a number that's really useful all the time everywhere.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2023, 11:35 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I’m leave for a Mediterranean cruise in less than a month, so I’ll test it in Spain, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, and Greece. I didn’t look them all up to see if they appear in the 210 supported countries, but I’m sure most do, if not all.
Your T-Mobile account will automatically connect in each of these countries. You'll get a welcome text each time the country changes, something like "Welcome to Greece!"

Also works if you use Google Fi (a T-Mobile MVNO) who has full access to all international spots that the Magenta plan has. And it is seamless like the standard T-Mobile post-paid accounts.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:14 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

It'll connect at port and on land trips.

Not so sure about out at sea or away from cities along the coast.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:25 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
It'll connect at port and on land trips.

Not so sure about out at sea or away from cities along the coast.
I'm not sure if you're referring to me and my cruise or someone else in this thread. I won't be trying to connect to cellular while at sea on my cruise ship. That would cause the phone to connect to the expensive ship cellular and I'm pretty certain that T-Mobile doesn't have any sort of agreement with them for that.

I'm just looking for cellular voice/text/data coverage while in various cruise ports exploring (google maps and restaurant lookups, etc.) and in Madrid/Rome/Venice for my pre- and post-cruise stays.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
audreyh1, this is what I now have exactly (as of yesterday). I normally keep the Cellular Data Roaming set to OFF when here in the US. I assume I need to enable Roaming to connect to the European networks upon arrival, correct? Any other actions I need to do either before leaving or upon arrival in Madrid?
Right, turn on data roaming. That’s the only roaming button my phone shows. I have Voice and Data set to 5G Auto. I haven’t used this iPhone 13 overseas, but I expect it to work seamlessly like the other have.

It just works. You should get a feel good text from T-mobile shortly after touchdown when you turn off airplane mode and your phone sees the local cell network.

I leave roaming on in the US too. I’m close enough to the border that I occasionally connect to the Mexico cellular network - no problems.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:34 PM   #86
Dryer sheet aficionado

Grab a SIM and one month service

I always grab a SIM card and 30 day plan with plenty of data…My last a few weeks ago in the UK cost me 15quid and came with 20gb and a 10 gb bonus…

I do this where I can the world over and never use free wifi….
airbornesapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:39 PM   #87
Confused about dryer sheets

Another Google Fi user here. Worked seamlessly in France, England and Amsterdam. For some reason, it did not work in Ireland.
Sullidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:56 PM   #88
Dryer sheet aficionado

Have T-Mobile. It's global by default at $45/mo.. It connects automatically when you arrive at destination country.

I use the free text and internet and use Face Time a lot which is free as well.
Sent and receive calls at a low flat rate but don't use it much.

Works in over 200 countries.
So far used in Brazil,UK,Italy,Germany,Switzerland,Austria,and New Zealand the past 18 months. No issues.

I think they have travel packages for days and weeks if you are doing serious calling and can be activated from T-Mobile app.
They have upgrades as well.
Gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Intl Cell
Old 04-11-2023, 04:04 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Intl Cell

I’ve traveled the world for years both work and fun. I used to maintain mobile accounts in multiple countries. Now with the reduction in costs and better networks, this really isn’t necessary.

Currently use a combination of T-Mobile 1+ that gets me 5G as a start and 256 data speed for unlimited data in most cases.

For international calling, I use a combination of the regular cell number or a VoIP number and Phone Power soft phone. That and a VPN and my extra costs are usually zero over two-three week trips.

Haven’t had any issues in Europe, ME or Asia.

The iPhone 13 will run dual sims, but I haven’t found the need and most tourist sim packages I have seen are mostly data and minimal voice minutes.

Just remember if you answer a spam call from the States, you are paying for it.

Enjoy your travel. London tonight for me.
Global Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:18 PM   #90
Dryer sheet wannabe

You need to use AIRALO, search in the store.
I used 3 times when travelling to USA, but they have packages anywhere, its easy to install an e-sim, no need to physical sim
Jeff76Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:49 PM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.

We put our cellphones on airplane mode when leaving the US and just connect through hotel wifi at no cost.

If we're away from the hotel and need the phone for something, we gulp and pay the ten bucks to connect 1 phone.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:39 AM   #92

+1 for T-mobile

Our T-mobile plan (ONE for over 55) only offers 2G speeds abroad (other than Canada/Mexico), so we buy the monthly international pass for $50. Considering what we're spending on a trip abroad, that is pocket change. It works seamlessly.

The only disadvantage of using a US number abroad is when a local business - usually an uber driver - needs to contact you. They will not call an international number. They do have the option of messaging you in the app. Personally, I've never had an issue with this.
Friends abroad tend to use whatsapp to communicate, so that has never been an issue.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 01:43 PM   #93
Dryer sheet aficionado

+1 for T-mobile Magenta Max 55+, comes with 5GB of high speed data (the reg Magenta plan does not) and unlimited data at slower speeds. For $65/mo it's a great deal. Just spent two months in Southeast Asia and it worked flawlessly. I also use local SIM cards when nec without issue and they are usually cheap, but having your own US number is priceless, especially for bank and email 2FA.
mabuhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:03 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

I pay $70 a month for 2 lines for +55 plan. I didn't upgrade to Magenta but one of the lines is One Plus or something like that to have extra data for hot spots.

Well I'm getting 5 GB of high speed roaming in Europe, first when I landed and Munich and now connecting through Munich to Spain. Got the texts both times.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:05 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Good to know. Working as expected.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:31 PM   #96

I don't know if it has been mentioned here already, but does everyone know about the data-only esim trick? You buy a data-only esim for the country(s) you are going to (from Airalo or similar), set your phone up for WiFi calling (before you leave), and then when you get there, turn on the esim, and you can use your regular phone number to make/receive calls and texts. It works because your phone is in wifi calling mode, and it uses the data-only esim to get access to the internet.

It's nice because you keep your existing number and everything just works as if you are home. The down side is no local calls within the country you are visiting (they are international calls).
Old 04-12-2023, 09:14 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
+1 for T-mobile

Our T-mobile plan (ONE for over 55) only offers 2G speeds abroad (other than Canada/Mexico), so we buy the monthly international pass for $50. Considering what we're spending on a trip abroad, that is pocket change. It works seamlessly.
This is what we have.

Didn't do anything special when I was in Mazatlan last week... I was just covered.

Leaving for Italy next week. Bought the int'l month for that. Have told our sons and our tenant that they should text or email... but if there is an emergency where they need to voice call, use whatsapp. If they want to video call there's google.

My sister, who will be watching our pooch, will use facebook messenger.

We'll have wifi at our various apartments... so we'll download any podcasts, etc while on wifi.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:55 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
It works because your phone is in wifi calling mode, and it uses the data-only esim to get access to the internet.
I can see how this would work if you had two phones. The data only SIM phone could turn on it's WiFi hotspot and the other phone could connect to the WiFi hotspot and make WiFi calls. I'm not sure how it would work with a single phone. Not saying it could not be made to work, just that I wouldn't know how to do it. But if there were documentation, I'd look at it.

I learned something fun the other day about cases where WiFi connections are expensive and only one device at a time is allowed to connect. Some phones allowed a Bluetooth hotspot. So while your WiFi radio is busily chatting away with the LAN with Internet access, you open up the Bluetooth radio for connections. Two concurrent devices (as long as you two devices are close enough together).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 09:15 AM   #99

Yes, it actually does work with a single phone. It does not turn on the WiFi hotspot, the esim just provides a data connection, and the phone says "I can't talk to this cellular network, but gee, I have a data connection, so let me use WiFi calling". Very similar to being connected to WiFi at a hotel.

On the USMobile reddit, lots of folks are doing this. I plan on trying this myself when I go to Canada in June, and to Scotland in September.

$6 for a 7 day 1GB Canada esim, and $7.50 for a 15 day 2GB UK esim. Not bad.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:30 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
"I can't talk to this cellular network, but gee, I have a data connection, so let me use WiFi calling". Very similar to being connected to WiFi at a hotel.
Seems like that would be phone-specific software. It does sound like a cheap way to call, but I'd have a backup because you can't test it until you get to your destination, can you?

My phone let's me make calls over cell, if it has a connection, or WiFi, if it has a connection. I've not had a data-only SIM, so I don't know what it would look like in the UI on my phone (Moto Android). Probably sensitive to what version and phone brand, but since I'm going with Fi, not interested enough to dig. Good to know, though.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote