Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cell Service In British Columbia
Old 01-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Cell Service In British Columbia

Question: We're travelling to Whistler/Blackcomb for 10 days of skiing later this week. We have verizon as our carrier here in the US. What have others used as a means to get canadian cell service without paying roaming charges or exorbitant data costs? I've heard that verizon offers a 'mexico/canada' limited plan that is 15 bucks per phone for 30 days. Is this the preferred method? What have others used?
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Verizon and had good coverage up there.
I called and added in the Canadian service charge before I went. Think it's the same as you noted at $15. I do think it had a limited amount of data so I'd suggest downloading map info before you go.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
Question: We're travelling to Whistler/Blackcomb for 10 days of skiing later this week. We have verizon as our carrier here in the US. What have others used as a means to get canadian cell service without paying roaming charges or exorbitant data costs? I've heard that verizon offers a 'mexico/canada' limited plan that is 15 bucks per phone for 30 days. Is this the preferred method? What have others used?
I think the $15 USD per month roaming package outlined on the page below is your best bet (unless you talk a lot). Whatever you do, don’t leave home without a roaming package.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solu...tional-travel/
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I was in BC last year, but I have AT&T. I used one of their add-on options.

If you are worried about going over data limits, my phone (and probably yours) allows you to specify a warning limit and a hard limit on international roaming and international data.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We have T-Mobile and Canada, Mex and a few others are covered at no extra. I have great coverage in Toronto & Vancouver if that helps.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Yes, we're zeroing in on the $15 per phone option, seems like the best option. It offers something like 100 minutes of talk, 100 texts, and 100MB data. We certainly don't intend on using more than the allotment of talk or text, so keeping the data under 100MB will be the biggest challenge.
I think if we use the hotel and mid mountain lodge wifi, we can stay under the 100MB data cap.

PS: GravitySucks - good call on downloading map data before we go.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote