Century Club

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just returned from a lunchtime lecture by a 92 year old fellow who spoke on 'alternate travel' meaning Elder Hostel, regular hosteling, home exchanges and things like Eur Rail Passes. At 92 he still travels mostly with one friend since his wife dies 4 years agom stays in elder & youth hostels. A regular energizer bunny:)
He wants to join a Los Angeles club, the Century Club, which is for people who have visited 100 countries, he is still a few short, maybe its good to leave some things to keep you busy later in life.
How about our FIRE friends, how many countries have you been to? I'll start; 18 counting the US. Any Century Club members?

I'm still working on the mile high club.

How about our FIRE friends, how many countries have you been to? I'll start; 18 counting the US. Any Century Club members?
Only 15 so far, 10 of them courtesy of the U.S. Navy.

16 if you include periscope liberty.

The Century Club I want to join has a minimum age requirement...

Last edited:

Not even close to a Century....as I'm only at 28. Although I hope to visit many more in the coming years. :)

omni

Here I thought some retiree was doing a shot a beer a minute every minute for 100 minutes.

That was the college century club anyway.

I'm at 15 countries and about 35 US states, I think. I've probably passed through a few more countries in Europe on the train, but I don't count those.

2Cor521

30 countries so far...but I can't see ever getting to 100. There are a lot more countries I want to visit, but not that many. I see myself topping off around 50-60, then mostly returning to my favorites...but then again, I'm still in my 30's, so who knows...one new country a year for the rest of my life?

I can come up with at least 32 countries that I visited (was dragged to?) before 1960 when I turned 12, 33 if you count Hawaii (which was a territory).

After age 12 I think it was mostly repeats, though I may have added some more.

I would imagine that this partly explains why I hate travel so much.

Bunch of world travelers here! Cant wait till I get the opportunity! Oh Ive been to 2 ;)

I only have 21 countries. Ooh, but I've been to 46 states, and am getting a free trip to number 47 through w*rk next year!

Only 17, and two of them don't even exist any more. Don't think I'll be joining that club any time soon.

I found that club about 5 years ago, and vowed someday that I would be able to join. But for now, I'm at 24 countries.

not even canada yet. only bahamas (does that count or is it just a suburb of fort lauderdale?), mexico and usvi (do possessions count?).

if i ever sell these houses so that i'm comfortable spending money again, i see myself vagabonding either by land or sea starting in a year or three. as i don't like hotels much, i'd rather stays of three to six months or longer in a place. so if i travel for the next 25 years and stay only 3 months in each country i could visit 100 by the time i'm 80. but just one six month stay in any one country is gonna screw up the entire schedule.

i can't even think of 100 countries i want to visit. i could come up with maybe 30 or 50 off hand. maybe when i'm 80 i'll get a european rail pass and hit a whole bunch of them at one shot, just in case i wind up in buenos aires or chiang mai for a few years.

hmmmm let's see...does it count if you flew over them? <kidding>

or passing through an airport on a connecting flight?

I've counted 33 so far that I've visited or lived in - and I think I'm pretty well traveled - 100 is a *lot* although what a great goal!

Their list of 'countries' is rather comprehensive..

After checking their 'country list', my number has now climbed to 34. (And I didn't even have to leave home. ;) )

omni

About 30 countries...I think I have been in more countries than US states.:cool:

R

I wrote down the number of counties one time when I was sitting in a bar once.
England (Scottland and Wales included in number?
France
Netherlands
Belgium
Germany
Italy
Spain
Greece
Switzaland
Monaco
Moraco
Egypt
India
Nepal
Hong Kong
China
Bali
Thailand
Japan
Australia
Jamacia
Purto Rico
Mexico
Causao
USA-except Alaska
25 or 27

Unfortunately, I've never been to me.

I can come up with at least 32 countries that I visited (was dragged to?) before 1960 when I turned 12, 33 if you count Hawaii (which was a territory).

After age 12 I think it was mostly repeats, though I may have added some more.
My goodness. Their country list is frightfully complete! It turns out that I have been to 44 of their listed countries, mostly back in the 1950's.

I truly dislike traveling, other than by car within the U.S. and with no itinerary. If I ever qualify for the Century Club, you might as well just shoot me and put me out of my misery. :dead:

Back
Top Bottom