Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-20-2021, 07:14 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Based on this thread I bought an Eagle Creek international carryon for DW a few months back. We also recently bought some Eagle Creek luggage as a gift to DS, but they were getting hard to find.

DW found out that in June its owner, VF, announced the shuttering of the Eagle Creek brand at the end of this year. Fortunately, 10 days ago an executive with the firm bought the company and plans to continue operations.

https://sgbonline.com/eagle-creek-so...avis-campbell/

So glad to hear this about Eagle Creek! It’s the best!!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 07:51 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder what happens with that Eagle Creek "No matter what" lifetime guarantee. Is that my lifetime, or theirs?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:54 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I wonder what happens with that Eagle Creek "No matter what" lifetime guarantee. Is that my lifetime, or theirs?
Heh, heh, "Whichever comes first!"

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I have a Zero Halliburton Zero Air 20" spinner, bought on sale for about $300 at Amazon. At the time I bought, it was the lightest carry-on size bag on the market at a little under 5#. IMO weight of a bag is critical, particularly when it's a carry-on. I don't know offhand how many trips it's made but I have been very satisfied with it. The only negative for some people (besides cost) might be the gloss black finish, which shows every battle scar from every trip.

OTOH I also have a Pelican 1535 "Air" (aka light weight) case that I use on Red Cross deployments where I might be "camping out" on a cot in a large building or tent and moving around in rainy weather. It's a brute at the cost of 9# carry weight, but it's o-ring-seal waterproof, easy to TSA lock, and when locked impossible to pilfer. (Check the YouTube videos that show how easy it is to enter a "locked" zipper bag with a ball point pen.) I have modified it a bit to add some mesh storage/organizing pockets, and it works well for its narrow purpose.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:31 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When we took our trips to Europe, we both decided carryon luggage was the way to go for trips of three weeks total or less, after we had read and heard the nightmare stories of lost checked luggage or misdirected luggage. We both found Samsonite carryon hard shell cases that were within the 21" tall by 14" by 9" limits. Never had any problem either domestic connecting flights or international. We found our luggage at Ross Dress for less store pretty cheap, and brand new. When we did travel we saw many many travellers with carryons that obviously were noticeably larger than ours (when we tried to get ours in the stow away compartments next to theirs!) and they had no trouble, so it is somewhat gratifying to know the airlines are now going to be more rigorously consistent in applying size limits for carryon.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:26 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I was once singled out for "enhanced" security measures when flying out of Prague. At the end, their "TSA" grabbed my roll on bag to be placed in the hole of the plane. And that was the last time I saw my bag for 3 days.

Unfortunately, my car key FOB was in that suitcase, and we had to spend 2 days in a cheap Atlanta hotel waiting for that bag to show up. That included walking to nearby fast food places since the car was in storage elsewhere.

We're into no surprises. And that means never checking a bag again. Funny that we have experienced no problems with U.S. airline agents, but it seems as if European airline employees are out to maximize profits. And they use The Rack to determine if 50 Euro charges apply--the bag either fits the rack or not.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Based on this thread I have just ordered the EC Expanse international wheeled duffle — a bit hard to find in the US as it has been discontinued, but tracked one down at CampSavers. The order process was a bit peculiar — put in my Chase CC, and the card was charged, and got an email confirming the order. Seemed on track …

Then got an email today saying they needed to verify my card, and to call them; they charged another “test” amount to my card “$1.42” which I then had to report to the Service rep who was waiting on the line, and then she released the order for fulfillment, assuring me that I will receive my $1.42 back as well as another 5% off for “manually verifying” my card.

Definitely weird….

BTW this will replace an EastPak Traverz — same international size but I did not like (really loathed) the clamshell style of the EastPak.
BarbWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Weight is a big issue four us. It is not uncommon in Europe and Asia to have a weight limit of 7 or 8 KG in addition to dimensions.

Most of the regional airlines in these areas that we have flown do weight the bags.

Vueling, Olympic, Aegean, etc certainly weighted our carry on.

Air Asia has (or had) agents stationed just prior to security at their wing of the Kuala Lumpur airport checking carry on bag weights even before we went through security.

Jetstar Australia weighed our bag at check in Brisbane and AGAIN at the boarding area.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote