Join Early Retirement Today

Changing Carry on Bag Size
Old 04-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For those of us who travel with just 1 carry-on bag::: the bag limits*will*be enforced going forward. Although stores sell bags that are 21" (23" with wheels) as the carryon bags, domestic US airlines state they will be firm with a 22" limit. So my new suitcase needs to be checked. Not an issue going abroad but definitely an issue going to / from East Coast, only SWA is staying with up to 24"
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have been traveling with carry on only since we retired 9 years ago. One week or 10 weeks...this is what we each take.

We switched replaced our ageing 21 inch carry on rollers (used in NA) with 20 inch international size carry on rollers. This is the typical dimension for European and SE Asian LCC's. Additionally there is typically a weight restriction of 8KG. We do very little NA travel. Most of our air travel is international so we opted for this size.

We both use Eagle Creek 20 inch carry on rolling flatbed duffes. We have been on many European, SE Asian, and Australian airlines with these carry ons. No problem whatsover. Few actually measure, but quite a few do weigh.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #3

Will look at Eagle Creek. In that i usually go for a month at a time, I doubt I can go down to 17" (becomes 19+" with wheels)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My spouse often puts a few of her items in my carry on since I typically have a little extra room.

Weight can be an issue. More than once we have taken out heaver, smaller items like ipad, book, or electric razor and put them in a jacket pocket. We only do this when we are 10Kg and know that our bag will be weighed.

Cost is not the issue for us. We very much prefer the convenience of having our bag with us.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #5

Within the US I believe the 22 x 14 x 9 inch size is still the standard at most airlines.

Internationally it seems to generally be 55 x 40 x 23 (cm) which is roughly 21.5 x 15.5 x 9.5 inches. Not a big difference.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Within the US I believe the 22 x 14 x 9 inch size is still the standard at most airlines.

Internationally it seems to generally be 55 x 40 x 23 (cm) which is roughly 21.5 x 15.5 x 9.5 inches. Not a big difference.

I noticed the difference but it was hardly noticeable. We used a 21/22 for seven months of travel. Switching to this for 7-9 weeks of travel was minor. After three trips or so I actually found room for an extra pair of shoes for my spouse. It took her longer to get down to this.

Downsizing can be a pain however there have been many more times when we have looked at each other and been thankful for doing this than the few times when we wished we had a little more room.

It also depend on how you travel and where. We do mostly independent travel. Lots of cobbles, lots of hotels with no elevator, rail cars, trips in small boats and ferry where we are requireed to handle our own bags. Being physically able to handle our own luggage was one of the drivers that took us down this path.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Funny, my husband's clothing and shoes are the ones that take up all the room in the suitcases. He wears a size 13 shoe and Large everything else. Just a suit jacket for cruises takes up a major part of a suitcase.

Most of my clothes are lightweight, and pack down to nothing.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We travel with two pairs of shoes each, the heavier ones are on our feet when we travel. Plus a pair of extremely light waterproof sandals.

We did seven months of international travel with 4 last minute cruises interspersed when we first retired.

We stopped attending formal nights in the MDR long before that. Those nights had started to loose their attraction to us. There was just no way that we could travel the way we did and still do, occasionally picking up last minute cruises, and lugging about clothes that would only be worn for two or three nights and only if we scored a cruise.

Our travel clothes are selected for easy care, lightweight, and layered. Cutting back has made our travel easier and more enjoyable.

When we return home from an extended trip we take not of anything that we did not wear as much as we thought we would. It gets dropped, and more often replaced by something else.

We have had lots of good advice from other travelers who do the same thing. There are lots of retired people out there who are traveling about in the same manner.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:43 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

How do you handle laundry? I assume it is an ongoing thing. Do you hand wash everything in your room or find laundry facilities?
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #10

Elite on Princess so no charge for laundry. If land based for a week, I send it in on embarkation day + 2nd to last day. In Israel, I stay in B&B so use their laundry. Otherwise I just send it out in the hotel. I am known to wear skirts multiple times & pants 2× before washing. Can do underwear once a week in the sink
Old 04-27-2021, 08:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hand wash, laundry, laundromat, etc

It all depends where we happen to be.

When we travel for 7-10 weeks. Doing, or making arrangements for laundry is inevitable. We have met some very interesting people in laundromats and picked up some great travel pointers.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We both travel with 21" Travel Pro carry on bags with swivel wheels. That allows to easier handle the bags when navigating down airplane aisles. We also have a pair of 22" Travel Pro bags. But we seldom travel unless we're going overseas for 2 weeks.

It seems like I get singled out of a crowd time after time by airline personnel even with a 21" bag. They're trying to charge me $50 a bag to check the bags at the gate. The trick is to slow the lines down and to argue a little respectively--but not too much. After awhile, they'll usually wave me on through.

We have learned how to pack, and usually come home with clothes we didn't even use. I get jeans heavily starched at the laundry, and they look decent even after wearing them numerous days. Another trick is to stay in B&B's or apartments with washing machines.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We have been traveling with carry on only since we retired 9 years ago. One week or 10 weeks...this is what we each take.

We switched replaced our ageing 21 inch carry on rollers (used in NA) with 20 inch international size carry on rollers. This is the typical dimension for European and SE Asian LCC's. Additionally there is typically a weight restriction of 8KG. We do very little NA travel. Most of our air travel is international so we opted for this size.

We both use Eagle Creek 20 inch carry on rolling flatbed duffes. We have been on many European, SE Asian, and Australian airlines with these carry ons. No problem whatsover. Few actually measure, but quite a few do weigh.

Which specific Eagle Creek bag do you use? I’m a big fan of that brand. I noticed there are several 20” rolling duffels offered.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:27 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

This is the last one we purchased:

Eagle Creek Expanse Wheeled Duffel International Carry On

We use to get hassled when we traveled with a 21 in, might have been 22. Really liked it, Kirkland brand, and used it for lots of business travel. But it was heavy. An extra kg. makes a difference when there is an 8KG weight limit (airlines often give some leeway if under 1Kg over the 8kg limit)

We prefer two roller wheels.

We have never had an issue with the checkin folks. Some airlines, like AIrAsia in KL weight your bag before you even enter their airport departure zone. Others, such as Jetstar Australia weigh bags at checkin and at the gate.

On some airlines we have paid more for carry on over their 3 or 4 KG limit than we would have paid to check the bag. But this is what we prefer. On smaller planes it is usually gate check....you place the the bag on a rack as you board the plane You pick it up as you deplane.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:32 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

The brand AWAY makes a wheeled carry-on that is the max size allowable for domestic airlines. It fits to the limit in the sizer that the airlines use with no room to spare so that you have the maximum interior space. It’s a bit expensive but it has a lifetime guarantee. It’s called the “bigger” carry-on. It’s also has a battery for charging your devices. DW and I have used ours for years and so far we’re completely satisfied….

https://www.awaytravel.com/suitcases...t-battery/navy
Old 05-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
The brand AWAY makes a wheeled carry-on that is the max size allowable for domestic airlines. It fits to the limit in the sizer that the airlines use with no room to spare so that you have the maximum interior space. It’s a bit expensive but it has a lifetime guarantee. It’s called the “bigger” carry-on. It’s also has a battery for charging your devices. DW and I have used ours for years and so far we’re completely satisfied….

https://www.awaytravel.com/suitcases...t-battery/navy
Last time I actually traveled by air, I used a small duffle bag. Well within limits. Never check luggage. We carry one change of clothes (summer - since that's when we travel). No shoes. Virtually no liquids (other than eye drops.) Any place I want to travel that doesn't sell what I need when I get there - I don't go, but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

If on my own, with no reason to dress up, I could live out of a duffle bag just fine.

I had to travel by myself for 3 days a few years ago. Wanting to be cheap, I flew Spirit Air from MD to FL, with just my purse, neck wallet, and a very small backpack. Shoved the purse inside the backpack so it all counted as one personal item. I brought TSA travel-sized (3 oz) bottles of sunscreen, dental rinses, and contact lens solution. There were drug and grocery stores near the budget hotel where I stayed, so I didn't even have to eat out. Renting a car for 3 days was the biggest expense.

Must say, though, I do prefer business class, fine hotels and ships, and the occasional fancy dress-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Last time I actually traveled by air, I used a small duffle bag. Well within limits. Never check luggage. We carry one change of clothes (summer - since that's when we travel). No shoes. Virtually no liquids (other than eye drops.) Any place I want to travel that doesn't sell what I need when I get there - I don't go, but YMMV.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #18

Based on this thread I bought an Eagle Creek international carryon for DW a few months back. We also recently bought some Eagle Creek luggage as a gift to DS, but they were getting hard to find.

DW found out that in June its owner, VF, announced the shuttering of the Eagle Creek brand at the end of this year. Fortunately, 10 days ago an executive with the firm bought the company and plans to continue operations.

https://sgbonline.com/eagle-creek-so...avis-campbell/

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Based on this thread I bought an Eagle Creek international carryon for DW a few months back. We also recently bought some Eagle Creek luggage as a gift to DS, but they were getting hard to find.

DW found out that in June its owner, VF, announced the shuttering of the Eagle Creek brand at the end of this year. Fortunately, 10 days ago an executive with the firm bought the company and plans to continue operations.

My 25 year old Eagle Creek carry on lives on!
Old 09-19-2021, 07:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post

I have the same luggage bought a couple of years ago. It’s worked great and never had any problems with size on flights in Europe/Asia.

Glad to hear that they will continue.