Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I hit my $4K spend, and the website says I get my bonus on the next statement, which is in ~5 days

I thought maybe I'd have to wait 30 days or more.

This means I can use the pay yourself back feature, right now it gives 1.25% payment towards grocery stores and some other things.
So it will be a Credit on my account, just like a cash reward.

We may not travel for a while so it's good to squeeze some juice out of the card
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2021, 01:30 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats and enjoy the $1,250, Sunset! And you probably got another $50 statement credit when you signed up.

I’m all about the cash, rather than the travel points, and assumed I’d convert the 100,000 points to $1,000 cash. However, your comment about the $1,250 credit for groceries makes me think I will instead take $1,250 from the family grocery budget for cash and let the statement credit replenish the family grocery budget.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Ends Sept 30 I believe, unless they re-up it. Buy those groceries fast!
Old 09-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post

Thanks for the heads up!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:03 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

I just paid myself back with 1.25% payment towards grocery stores and restaurants, to the tune of a ~$400 credit to my card.

There are 16 days left for folks to use this.

I like it as its the same rate as using the Chase site for travel, which we are doing right now.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:06 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
It applies to 4 categories.
Including restaurants (which is great as they give 3% for that on the purchase), and Home Depot / Menards / Lowes / types of stores.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:35 AM   #187

I hit $4,000 on Sunday, when I checked out of the hotel in Helen Georgia (Oktoberfest Weekend!). I might not be able to leverage up to 1.25 very easily, but I'll enjoy the magnitude of the sign-up bonus
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I hit $4,000 on Sunday, when I checked out of the hotel in Helen Georgia (Oktoberfest Weekend!). I might not be able to leverage up to 1.25 very easily, but I'll enjoy the magnitude of the sign-up bonus
I didn't realize but I should have spent more on this CC at grocery stores and restaurants, I simply ran out of eligible purchases to apply to the 1.25%.

Lucky for me our bathroom tap started to drip, and after talking with DW, looks like the bathroom needs taps, valves, cabinet, mirror and lights...
So maybe I can pay myself more.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Still have about 60,000 points to try and spend without waste before Sept 30. We are thinking of buying HD or Low*s gift cards for future use or Christmas giving. I transfer my Sapphire Preferred points to the gal's Reserve stash, making them worth 1.5x vs. 1.25x. The miser in me gets very giving when a $100 gift card costs me $66.66 worth of points.

Anyone bought home improvement store cards in the home improvement store and verified that the points can be used as a credit to buy them? I think they can, but would appreciate some recent verification.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #190

Wow! I'm always spending at the Home Depot. If I can get 50% more value, I'm in!
Old 09-16-2021, 08:08 PM   #191

Thank you to everyone on this thread who took the time to post, and especially thanks for the heads up about the 9/30 deadline. I went in today and generated a $1,365 statement credit - wow! And it was very easy. I was a bit intimidated by the process before I tried it, thinking it would be really complicated, but it was a breeze. I've completely wiped out my points now.

Going forward, I think I will use this card only for travel so I can get the insurance benefits, and will use our 2% cash back card for day-to-day purchases.

I thought we had applied for this as a joint account, but DH never got a card. If I understand other posters correctly, he can go apply for this as well and get the same benefits, correct? And do you still have to go into the branch to apply to get the $95 annual fee waived and the $50 grocery credit - does anyone know?
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #192
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Thank you to everyone on this thread who took the time to post, and especially thanks for the heads up about the 9/30 deadline. I went in today and generated a $1,365 statement credit - wow! And it was very easy. I was a bit intimidated by the process before I tried it, thinking it would be really complicated, but it was a breeze. I've completely wiped out my points now.

Going forward, I think I will use this card only for travel so I can get the insurance benefits, and will use our 2% cash back card for day-to-day purchases.

I thought we had applied for this as a joint account, but DH never got a card. If I understand other posters correctly, he can go apply for this as well and get the same benefits, correct? And do you still have to go into the branch to apply to get the $95 annual fee waived and the $50 grocery credit - does anyone know?
Not sure about the current offers but your husband absolutely CAN apply for the card himself. In the points and miles game we refer to a husband and wife as P1 and P2. Our points travel really clicked into high gear when I realized that P2 had her own separate credit history. Since she was an authorized user on my oldest card, her credit score was the similar to mine at 800+. With some credit cards you can also refer others including P1 and P2 for even more points.
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Each person can apply for their own credit cards.

Note: People often (IMHO) get sucked into the "put the spouse on your CC as a user" trick.
The problem with this is it often disqualifies them from getting any bonus on a related/similar credit card.

DW & I both have our own separate credit cards, no mixing, that way when I pop off, she won't have the problem of no credit history and suddenly cancelled credit cards.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

With the Sapphire card, just so folks know, it is easy and I've done it 4 times now to generate credits.
It does limit you to 12 items at a time, but you can do the 12 and immediately do another 12 without any issue.

So far I've redeemed $745 at 1.25%.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #195

Thanks for the heads up to the 9/30/21 date. I just converted my points for $824 in credits on dining charges going back for several months. I have the Sapphire Reserve card so got the x1.5 points and most of those points were generated with dining at 3pts./ $1 spent. At 4.5% rebate for dining/ travel this remains my go to card for restaurants and travel.
Luvtoride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:16 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

I just cashed in $120 in pay yourself back points. I would do more but I am waiting for my 100,000 bonus points. I hope that doesn't take the full 8 weeks.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #197

^It looked like I got access to the first batch of points on the statement closing date, earlier this month. I see that I will get the 100,000, but don't have it yet (need to wait for the early October statement closing date). So by then the amped-up point conversion will apparently be gone. Not complaining...I like the $1,000 for just applying for the right card and jumping through the right hoops.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:21 AM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Gal just told me to check how many CSP points I have left, as buying Homer de'Pew gift cards a couple days ago did show up on her CSR as something we can and did use points to buy, so now I'll transfer my CSP points to our joint Freedom and she will whisk them from there to her CSR card, making them worth 1.5 points vs. 1.25. Then we'll stock up on building material store cards - good for gifts and as a store of value. Need to do that soonest - it takes a few days for them to show up as redeemable expenses.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:25 AM   #199

I don't think I can do this, but I'll ask the brain trust here just in case: I have both the Chase Freedom Flex (FF) and Sapphire Preferred (SP) cards. I've been doing grocery purchases on the FF (for the 5x points) and everything else on the SP. I recently hit the $4000 point and got the 100K point bonus on the SP card and have stopped using it (my Fido Visa with 2% back on everything is once again better for general purposes).

My question has to do with the Pay Yourself Back process. Is there any way to "double dip" and use the 100K points from the SP card bonus to pay myself back at 1.25x for my grocery purchases made under the FF card? If so I haven't found a way. So far I've used Pay Yourself Back to get statement credits for restaurant expenses charged to the SP card at 1.25x, but these are the only purchases I've made that offer that multiple. I've also found a few purchases that have let me pay myself back at 1.1x for a few purchases on the FF card, but grocery purchases under the FF card do not appear to offer a multiple under Pay Yourself Back. I know how to transfer points from the SP card to the FF card, but it looks like if I do that I will only be able to pay myself back at the straight 1:1 rate.

I should probably just be satisfied with the year's worth of 5x points on over $10K worth of groceries I've gotten on the FF card, but if I can get 1.25X statement credit for these it would be icing on the cake.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:03 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I just cashed in $120 in pay yourself back points. I would do more but I am waiting for my 100,000 bonus points. I hope that doesn't take the full 8 weeks.
I reached my $4000 spending about one week prior to the 3 month end date. That was also near, but not exactly, the time of my next statement date. The statement included the 100,000 points. So I effectively received my 100,000 points credited to my account about one week after reaching my $4000 spend. I suspect you will see it on the next statement after reaching the required spend.
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote