Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why not park illegally nearby and get a $5-10 parking ticket? Next day, move around the block and repeat.

If it's a rental car, turn it in and re-rent.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Why not park illegally nearby and get a $5-10 parking ticket? Next day, move around the block and repeat.

Except the parking tickets are $39+ there. He's better off paying $22/day to park the car.

If it's a rental car, the rental company will turn around and charge it back to you too.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Actually you can park it on a residential street for a couple days without getting a ticket unless it is posted otherwise. My concern would be car prowls. If the Milwaukie Walmart has all those campers TromboneAl should be able to park among them with little chance of theft.

Another thought Al: last week a cyclist was killed when she pulled along side a semi turning right. The driver didn't (couldn't?) see her.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #24

There is free parking at the Max Train stations and Park & Ride locations. (Beaverton)
Also at the zoo which is close to downtown and accessible by Max.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
There are places at Rice University where it's cheaper to park illegally (and pay the ticket) rather than to use the parking lot. The alternative is to park a half-mile away or to move your car every 20-30 minutes.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The downtown hotel in Portland where we will be staying in June charges $22 per night for parking. Since we won't be using the car while we are staying there, I'm considering some cheapskate alternatives:

1. Park in a residential suburban area on the outskirts and ride my bike back to the hotel. I'd be sure to leave nothing steal-able in the car.

2. Park at a Walmart that allows overnight parking (7 mile easy ride).

3. Park at the airport ($10/day).

4. Just eat the $22/day charge.

What do you think?
What's the purpose of this trip? If it's a pleasure trip, I'd pay the $22 and spend the time and energy you'd devote to the other options on having a good time. Otherwise, I'd check out the lower cost but time consuming alternatives.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Don't park overnight at the Zoo. Washington Park, Zoo area and Arboretum are considered our 'living room'. It is closely patrolled.

Better to park in the Hillside neighborhood (up on the hill north of Burnside, west of NW 25th).
Old 05-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
There is free parking at the Max Train stations and Park & Ride locations. (Beaverton)
Also at the zoo which is close to downtown and accessible by Max.
Park and Ride locations say they are limited to 24 hour parking so if that is enforced this may not work.
TriMet: Park & Ride Locations
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

One more question: WDLT ("What does Lena think") ?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
One more question: WDLT ("What does Lena think") ?
I just asked, and she doesn't feel strongly either way. Of course, I'd be the one to drive to Walmart and ride back -- possibly while she's still sleeping in the hotel room. Or we could all drop the car off, and start one of our bike rides from the Walmart.

I know that Jenny actually parked her car at Walmart when she flew somewhere to save on airport parking, so I'm sure she'd be on board.

For me, the only issue is whether I would be worried about the car. If it's nestled in with the RVers, and there's nothing inside to steal, I'll probably feel OK.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

The thing is that the RVers usually park way over to the side to be out of the way of the shoppers, and are only staying overnight. They are usually gone with their RVs during the day.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The downtown hotel in Portland where we will be staying in June charges $22 per night for parking. Since we won't be using the car while we are staying there, I'm considering some cheapskate alternatives:

1. Park in a residential suburban area on the outskirts and ride my bike back to the hotel. I'd be sure to leave nothing steal-able in the car.

What do you think?
I'd think that if there isn't plenty of open spaces for option 1 (who wants to spend lots of time searching for a parking space while you could already gone miles on your bicycle), then option 2 (WallyWorld) is the way to go.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

That is frustrating. I just decided to use a cab in downtown San Jose instead of a rental because of parking fees. If you are at the Hilton in downtown portland... there is a parking included room rate that will save u 25% (unless they jack the room rate to compensate).
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #34

Yes to north of Burnside and west of 25th. Nice neighborhood and close to the park trails. It's an easy ride into downtown from there, too (slightly downhill).
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

What do you think?
My vote is for #4. After all, time on a vacation costs a lot more money than time at home. No sense in wasting any money on a false economy, so to speak, IMO. Consider the price of parking to be part of the overall price of the hotel and then re-examine your choice of hotels.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My vote is for #4. After all, time on a vacation costs a lot more money than time at home. No sense in wasting any money on a false economy, so to speak, IMO. Consider the price of parking to be part of the overall price of the hotel and then re-examine your choice of hotels.
I think Al feels that this is catnip to a cheapskate... sort of a vacation with a little extra challenge thrown in for recreation.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think Al feels that this is catnip to a cheapskate... sort of a vacation with a little extra challenge thrown in for recreation.
That's our T-Al - - - you're probably right, and we certainly wouldn't change him for all the tea in China! And if he wants challenge, he should enjoy the puzzle of figuring out where to park.

I'll amend my recommendation to say that if it was me, I'd just go ahead and pay for the parking, and cut back somewhere else. But then that's me.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you could do a private wink-wink deal with the hotel check-in guy?

Alternative - drive to close, nice home suburb area. Pull out cell phone, call taxi.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Using Cute Fuzzy Bunny's metric: $66 = 1 free Lobster Dinner.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Using Cute Fuzzy Bunny's metric: $66 = 1 free Lobster Dinner.
Yes - - I guess what I'm saying is if it was ME (not you), I'd rather just skip the lobster dinner for one, and instead spend the $66 on parking, thus gaining extra time to enjoy my vacation spot with less aggravation.