Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would consider staying someplace like this which is close in on the eastside, has parking, good sized rooms, and kitchens. Not luxury, but has more of the amenities included that I value and downtown is close.

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center: Portland Extended Stay Hotels
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes - - I guess what I'm saying is if it was ME (not you), I'd rather just skip the lobster dinner for one, and instead spend the $66 on parking, thus gaining extra time to enjoy my vacation spot with less aggravation.
I can't see T-Al spending that much on dinner for one (regardless of what it is) ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I sure am glad I don't live in a big city. I don't think I could physically hand over $20 just to park my car for 1 day. Most parking around here is free. If I go to the downtown area of the nearby "big city" of 75,000 people then I have to pay $2 to park in the ramp. I was mad when they raised it from $1 a couple years ago.
Come on over to Boston... I currently pay $380/Month for parking at work. At least this only works out to about $19/day.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

When buying gas, I use the 'Gas Buddy' app to find the closes and cheapest gas bar. There are also parking apps, like Best Parking. I used it last weekend to go to a sporting event in Toronto. I paid $8 for the day while some where as much as $30 less than a block away. All you do before you leave is enter the location/event in the city you choose, the date and amount of time you expect to park and you get mapped results of the prices in that area. I was surprised how much they can differ.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
When buying gas, I use the 'Gas Buddy' app to find the closes and cheapest gas bar.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That cartoon is quite relevant. The key is to treat each money saving idea on a case by case basis, do the calculation, and ask yourself "Would I rather have $x or spend the time/effort to save it."
Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
What's the purpose of this trip? If it's a pleasure trip, I'd pay the $22 and spend the time and energy you'd devote to the other options on having a good time.
+1. I thought this was Al's new paradigm in travel- more pleasure, less ordeal. He has spent $66 worth of thought on this already, and he isn't even pedaling back to the hotel in the rain yet. When I was about 25 I went to dinner at a nice white tablecloth restaurant with a pretty Greek woman. The check came and I was trying to figure out what 15% would be (I'm a 20%er now, rounded up) anyway the pretty woman says, Hah dearest, be a sport and forget the accountancy. She gave me other very valuable advice, most of it at least somewhat embarassing to me. I am eternally grateful for all of it, as it was all sorely needed.

Ha
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Getting back and forth to the free parking means less time to spend on other things.

Another vote to cough up the $22/day.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

OK, Al, here's a mathematical approach that might help you to decide.

First, figure out the entire cost of your trip - - transportation, hotels, restaurants, entry fees for sightseeing and cultural events, parking fees, tips, and so on.

Then divide that by the number of free hours you will have outside your hotel room, at your destination, to figure out a cost per hour of enjoying your destination.

Finally, subtract the parking fees from the entire cost of the trip, and subtract the time you would have to spend in dealing with the parking situation (looking for parking spots, biking back to the hotel, drying clothes drenched in the rain, and so on). Again, divide the (adjusted) total cost by the adjusted cost per hour of enjoying your destination.

Compare the two and you will have your answer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

But remember, it's only 7 miles away. 15 minutes in the car and 30 minutes on the bike. The time I'd save would probably be spent riding my bike.

I will report back.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
+1. I thought this was Al's new paradigm in travel- more pleasure, less ordeal. He has spent $66 worth of thought on this already, and he isn't even pedaling back to the hotel in the rain yet. When I was about 25 I went to dinner at a nice white tablecloth restaurant with a pretty Greek woman. The check came and I was trying to figure out what 15% would be (I'm a 20%er now, rounded up) anyway the pretty woman says, Hah dearest, be a sport and forget the accountancy.
Sweet story. When we go out I do the math and pay the tip based on the pretax amount. Nowadays I'll justify this based on keeping my math estimate skills sharp. But I think you have a good point here.
Quote:
She gave me other very valuable advice, most of it at least somewhat embarassing to me. I am eternally grateful for all of it, as it was all sorely needed.
I think we all want you to go more deeply into this one.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #52
Gone but not forgotten

I thought the purpose of the new travel plan was more luxury . Pay the $22 !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
IPay the $22 !
You can't fight cheap ...

It's kind of funny, reading this thread. Many decades ago (when DW/I had little money), we scrimped and saved for the future.

Today, rather than drive to the airport (in our case, EWR which is the airport of choice for our direct flights around the world) and worry about parking and shuttle service, we just get a limo (e.g. Town Car) to/from our home. No need to worry about getting to/from the airport at all (and they have drinks/snacks along the way).

Does it cost more? Sure. Can we afford it? Certainly.

That's what saving/investing for retirement is all about. If you can't enjoy the "fruits of your labor", than why prepare at all?

You don't need to be cheap in retirement, unless you didn't prepare for the future. And if you didn't? Why are you retired?

Enjoy life (if you can); it dosen't last forever ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OK, Al, here's a mathematical approach that might help you to decide.

First, figure out the entire cost of your trip - - transportation, hotels, restaurants, entry fees for sightseeing and cultural events, parking fees, tips, and so on.

Then divide that by the number of free hours you will have outside your hotel room, at your destination, to figure out a cost per hour of enjoying your destination.

Finally, subtract the parking fees from the entire cost of the trip, and subtract the time you would have to spend in dealing with the parking situation (looking for parking spots, biking back to the hotel, drying clothes drenched in the rain, and so on). Again, divide the (adjusted) total cost by the adjusted cost per hour of enjoying your destination.

Compare the two and you will have your answer.
Ah, I'm glad you brought this up, because I have concluded that this is not the best way to analyze cost-saving activities.

Let me give an example of what I mean.

Let's say I buy a 1 million dollar house. When I move in, I find that one of the doorknobs is broken. I have to decide whether to fix it myself, or just buy a new one for $40.

I might say "Well, I just spent $1 million for the house, what's another .004 percent?" But I see that as false reasoning. The real issue is whether I'd rather have the $40 I'd save, or the time it would take to fix it myself, and that is independent of the cost of the house. In addition, there's the possibility that I'd enjoy fixing it, and would find it rewarding.

Now, it is reasonable to count my time as more valuable when on a trip, and that's a good thing to keep in mind. Once I saved money on sightseeing in San Francisco by using public transportation. I ended up spending several hours of that day waiting for buses. I had made the wrong decision.

If it's raining I might skip it, but the extra bother of the ride is not really a bother at all. Riding on bike trails in a new place is what the trip is all about.

esplanade.jpg
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
the extra bother of the ride is not really a bother at all. Riding on bike trails in a new place is what the trip is all about.
Sure, if you'd pay THAT MUCH to go someplace and choose to ride on that exact route. I'd think there might be more scenic bike riding than what you might happen to find between WalMart and your hotel, but then if that is the pinnacle of your bike riding or other experiences at your destination, so be it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
In the past I have been moderated for less. Basically, if you are a man, listen to women. They know more about almost everything that counts for you. And although I used second person construction here, I am really talking about yo mismo and no one else, as I may be a hard case.

Ha
Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
That's exactly what she said!
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And order a nice bottle of Champagne and a couple of steaks up to the room.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
If it's raining I might skip it, but the extra bother of the ride is not really a bother at all. Riding on bike trails in a new place is what the trip is all about.
I feel the same way about these extra "hassles". Seeing a non-touristy part of town interests me as much as seeing the normal tourist destinations. An extra hour or so of seeing the sights from a bike or bus or train to save $66 wouldn't be a real hassle at all and I might serendipitously see something cool and unexpected along the way.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1 At the end of your days, your heirs will receive $66 less than they would have otherwise. No big deal.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote