Chitzen Itza - and anything else we should do while in Cancun?

Well we're leaving in a week! Getting excited! As mickeyD pointed out, I hear coba is pretty neat...a bit off the beaten path. BUT, my worry-wort and now pregnant wife is not fond of non-beaten-paths...so we'll likely stick with chitzen itza!

anyone who went to mexico have stomache issues? i hear the horror stories and other than bottled water to drink and brush, i dont know what else to do...

Have been hit a couple times over dozens of visits. In addition to the precautions you've already mentioned, wash fruits & vegetables thoroughly before eating and take some Immodium with you just in case. Have a great trip!

My wife and I visited Mexico in 2006 with 4 of our friends. It was an incredible trip, everyone had a blast. We managed to avoid any gastrointestinal issues right up until the very last day, when all 6 of us came down with various degrees of the same symptoms (nausea, cold sweats, diarrhea). We stayed and ate on the resort up until the last day. Near as we can figure, we narrowed down the culprit to 2 possibilities.

On the last day, we visited Chitzen Itza. On the way back, we made 2 stops. First, we stopped at a cenote and went for a swim. It's possible that some sort of bacteria in the water made us all sick. Then, we stopped at a small town on the way back to Playa del Carmen, and visited a market, and had an "authentic" Mexican lunch at a food court in an open-air mall.

I know reading this, it seems obvious that it was the food. But we all had different things for lunch, and some of us barely ate at all. The only common demoninator we can find was the swim in the cenote. At any rate, both experiences were amazing, and we'd do them again anyway, even if we knew it meant a few hours in the bathroom. The memories will stay with us forever.

thanks for reminding me to add my generic immodium to my suitcase!

thanks for reminding me to add my generic immodium to my suitcase!

Absolutely.

Stay away from fresh fruit and raw veggies from any street vendor stands. That goes for snow cones and such. If it is not in a sealed bottle or a manufacturer package avoid it. Cooked food should be ok. You might try one of those iguana tacos... tastes like chicken! Oh and you might want to be a little wary of the protein in the chicken tacos! :D

I tend to avoid the raw veggie salads at the restaurants... They should be ok... but IMO it is not worth the risk of ruining the vacation. Montezuma's revenge is nasty! :(

Back
Top Bottom