Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I will certainly take a look at this route. Thanks.
A bit of trivia. The longest stretch of Interstate hwy in the US without services is on I-70 in eastern Utah. I think itís 108 miles. Itís near the San Rafael Swell. Beautiful desert rockscapes.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It's much smaller then Vail, but if you like outdoor activity it's a good base...It's a matter of personal preference.

We stayed in Silverthorne last year and it was wall to wall people and the traffic was nasty. Brian Head is a good place to escape the heat. If you want lots of shopping or a ton of high end places to eat, you won't be happy there. Cedar Breaks is way cool.
I would never tell anyone to go to Silverthorn/Breck or Summit County. Thatís a very unattractive IMHO part of Colorado High Country. We avoid it or just pass through.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I would never tell anyone to go to Silverthorn/Breck or Summit County. Thatís a very unattractive IMHO part of Colorado High Country. We avoid it or just pass through.

It was a one night stop on our way home from of course... Utah. I didn't think it was ugly, just really crowded.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A bit of trivia. The longest stretch of Interstate hwy in the US without services is on I-70 in eastern Utah. I think itís 108 miles. Itís near the San Rafael Swell. Beautiful desert rockscapes.

Solitude at it's finest with jaw dropping views.......I think it might be posted at 80MPH, or it's 75 MPH....
Old 03-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #25

Quote:
It was a one night stop on our way home from of course... Utah. I didn't think it was ugly, just really crowded.
By unattractive I mean crowded, overbuilt, beetle kill forests, busy highway corridor. There are so many incredibly beautiful parts of Colorado, but it requires a little bit of a drive off the major highways so most people donít take the time to visit them. One of the prettiest drives in the state is just east of the Utah border along the Delores River. We saw maybe 2 cars and a motorcyclist in the hour or so it took to drive the canyon up to Gateway. There is also a cool car museum in Gateway owned by the guy who started the Discovery Channel. Classic Cars at The Gateway Colorado Auto Museum
Old 03-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
By unattractive I mean crowded, overbuilt, beetle kill forests, busy highway corridor. There are so many incredibly beautiful parts of Colorado, but it requires a little bit of a drive off the major highways so most people donít take the time to visit them. One of the prettiest drives in the state is just east of the Utah border along the Delores River. We saw maybe 2 cars and a motorcyclist in the hour or so it took to drive the canyon up to Gateway. There is also a cool car museum in Gateway owned by the guy who started the Discovery Channel. Classic Cars at The Gateway Colorado Auto Museum
Then I agree it was unattractive, unfortunately the beetle kill forests seem to be everywhere. ....it's a big problem in that area.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Have found early September a good time to visit CO, good hiking/biking, less crowded then the summer months, and Oktoberfest activities on weekends (Beaver Creek, Vail, Breckenridge) that are lots of fun.
It's possible I might wait until then. Still hot here in early Sept so would be a good get away. I was just thinking about breaking up the Summer. Of course anywhere you go during the Summer is crowded if it's a pretty area.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
It's possible I might wait until then. Still hot here in early Sept so would be a good get away. I was just thinking about breaking up the Summer. Of course anywhere you go during the Summer is crowded if it's a pretty area.
Second week in September can be awesome in RMNP. It's Elk rut and they put on a show.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Then I agree it was unattractive, unfortunately the beetle kill forests seem to be everywhere. ....it's a big problem in that area.
Thereís large parts of the state without the beetle blight. Unfortunately Grand and Summit counties are the hardest hit and that is where most tourists go.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Utah has been hit hard with beetle blight...so many dead trees...
Old 03-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Utah has been hit hard with beetle blight...so many dead trees...

A real shame. They were one of my favorite bands...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
A real shame. They were one of my favorite bands...
If there were only 4 beetles eating the trees, it wouldn't be a problem
Old 03-03-2018, 05:39 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having lived in Colorado for 25+ years while I'll agree that mud season is to be avoided you have a good chance of decent weather in a (very) few parts of the state in April. Fruita near Grand Junction is a mountain biking mecca that'd be on your way to Moab anyway, and in south central Colorado CaŮon City, about an. hour west of Pueblo, has the mildest climate in the state, fantastic mountain biking and hiking and is also an under-the-radar retirement place. It's quite conservative but there's a great outdoor scene, a good brew pub and plenty of places to explore. You could easily luck out and have sunshine and highs in the high 60's or low 70's that time of year. Otherwise Canyonlands!
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

When does fall color hit the higher elevations in Colorado?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Last Fall we were in the Aspen/Crested Butte area the third week of September and the colors were hitting their peak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CO1.jpg (80.2 KB, 18 views)

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Early last October
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171006_140120.jpg (225.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-03-2018, 10:23 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I can't update the above. This is a week later in Silverton. Should be a train down there.

20171011_130915.jpg
Old 03-04-2018, 05:42 AM   #38

Quote:
April is early for hiking in the high mountains unless you like snow-shoeing. Most ski resorts will still be open. This hasn't been the snowiest of winters, but you're still looking at snow above 10,000 ft till sometime in May. That said, the foothills are wonderful to hike in at that time of the year. Get yourself a pair of micro-spikes because there may still be ice on the trails when they pass through thick forest or on northern slopes.

The southern areas may be better. Using Durango as a base, you could see Ouray and Telluride, visit Mesa Verde, go east to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. The Crested Butte area is beautiful, but its quite high up. We hiked there at the end of May one year and enjoyed it though we had stay low. Don't know what its like in April. If in that area, you could also check out the Black Canyon of Gunnison NP.

The eastern plains will be fine, but most people don't think of that when they think of Colorado. We haven't done much on the Western Slope of Colorado, but that could be an option.

The Santa Fe suggestion is sound. Or consider Utah near Moab.
+1. I would add Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
When does fall color hit the higher elevations in Colorado?
In the mountains within an hour of so of Denver, mid-to-late September. If you come to see the fall colors, keep your schedule flexible so you can react to the season. The "peak" sometimes lasts only a few days in the high country. A storm can wipe out the leaves in an area overnight.

This was taken on 9/25/15 hiking near Kenosha Pass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kenosha Pass-6.jpg (416.7 KB, 16 views)
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, colorado, hiking, mountains, sightseeing