Colorado - Mid April to early May weather

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
How's the weather in Colorado from mid-April to the first or second week in May? I know that the high mountains can get snow at any time, but I would rather avoid it if possible. I am thinking of hitting some National Monuments and such on the Western side of the Rocky Mountains.

In April 2016, we embarked on an early RV trip to go fairly far up north to Flat Head Lake in Montana, because we got a good deal for 1 week at a very nice timeshare at Bigfork Harbor. Then, we got another week in a resort in Vail, Colorado, where we also parked the RV to stay there.

Thanks to my lucky star, the weather was cool but very nice and sunny during the two 1-week stays at the resorts. However, in between the resort stays and at the end of the trip, it was snowy and wet, and we spent a few days huddled inside the motorhome watching snow fall. Road condition was of course hazardous, and I did not want to take any chances with the motorhome.

We had planned to go for 6 weeks, but at the end, decided not to push our luck and turn home after 4 weeks.

You pay your money and you take your chance at that time of year.

Last edited:
Well, it can change a lot from year to year but temps last part of April will be upper 50's to 60's with lows in the low 30's normally. Snow that time of year is wet, wet and heavy and will melt a lot of it during the day. First part of May can be about the same but temps keep getting better and snow not out of the picture but mostly rain in May.

Perfect. [emoji16]

The higher elevations will probably still have snow mid April. I was in Rocky Mountain National Park in early April and Trail Ridge Road was still closed with about 3’ of snow. So I went to Bear Lake instead. Around 9500’, it only had a foot of snow and the lake was still frozen. But hiking was ok - trails were compacted snow and the temp was nice.

Higher elevations you can expect cold weather and snow and ice around. Possibility of material snow. Lower elevations should be nicer, but are always a crapshoot that time of year.

ask COCheeseHead
he lives in Grand Junction

Late April-May can be a great time to come out to the Western Slope.
Telluride and Aspen will still be in mud season, but the Colorado National Monument, Dinosaur and Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP’s should be great. I would personally tag on a side trip to Moab too - still low season there. See Arches and Canyonlands. They are about an hour ish west of Grand Junction.
Ping me if you are out here. I’ll buy you and your significant other a local beer, wine or spirit at one of our favorite places.

My sister had a condo in Aspen for years. Most all of the locals would "go home" the first of April go avoid the Spring rains and the ensuing mud. Many mountain cities are the same worldwide until May. Suddenly the weather will break, and the climate is just glorious.

We were there in late June one year, and some of the higher passes had just been opened up a few days earlier...10' walls of snow on both sides of the road.

We were there in late June one year, and some of the higher passes had just been opened up a few days earlier...10' walls of snow on both sides of the road.

Snow stays up high in some cases into late July, but the western canyons are open for business usually by early March. The snow goes away quickly.

Telluride and Aspen will still be in mud season, but the Colorado National Monument, Dinosaur and Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP’s should be great. I would personally tag on a side trip to Moab too - still low season there. See Arches and Canyonlands. They are about an hour ish west of Grand Junction.
Ping me if you are out here. I’ll buy you and your significant other a local beer, wine or spirit at one of our favorite places.

I would think that Sand Dunes NP would be good too.

Attachments

• 1330.jpg
    1330.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 21
The weather, on average, should be quite pleasant on the western slope. I'd second COCheesehead and suggest Arches & Canyonlands & dead horse point state park.

However, there's a lot to see around Grand Junction /Fruita including the Colorado National Monument, wild horses (check out little book cliffs), and Grand Mesa. Wine tastings too in Fruita.

I was in Rocky Mountain National Park in early April and Trail Ridge Road was still closed with about 3’ of snow.

FYI - Target opening date for Trail Ridge Road (all the way over) is typically Memorial Day...

Early to mid April is a good time to visit Arches but it will be getting warm by May. You may want to avoid the crowds of the Moab Jeep Safari, a big nine day event that ends on Easter. But you are in luck since Easter is April 12 in 2020.

I was at Rocky Mountain NP in mid to late June. The Trail Ridge Road had opened a week earlier but then closed again due to a late snowfall. Reopened around June 20. But it was a very wet winter/spring.

Last edited:
Mid-April to early May typically is very nice weather on the western slope and lots of desert plants will be in bloom if that is of any interest to you.

Just a couple clarification comments:
1) Most years, the Grand Mesa still has lots of snow on the ground in early May so plan accordingly if you are thinking about going up there to hike.
2) This is prime tourist season in Moab. For fun, I just priced Marriott Fairfield Inn and SpringHill Suites for mid-week in early January ($80-100/night) and late April ($250-330/nght). Great time to "blow that dough" for sure.

There can be terrible storms that come through. There can be really nice weather. If you are camping, many of the mountain campgrounds will still be closed. I would recommend May over the earlier months.

Mid-April to early May typically is very nice weather on the western slope and lots of desert plants will be in bloom if that is of any interest to you.

Just a couple clarification comments:
1) Most years, the Grand Mesa still has lots of snow on the ground in early May so plan accordingly if you are thinking about going up there to hike.
2) This is prime tourist season in Moab. For fun, I just priced Marriott Fairfield Inn and SpringHill Suites for mid-week in early January ($80-100/night) and late April ($250-330/nght). Great time to "blow that dough" for sure.

When I went to Arches during near peak season (but not during a popular festival), I reserved a room 2-3 months early at a medium priced hotel and during the week at a reasonable price. Per Booking.com, there are rooms currently available in April at lesser but adequate hotels (e.g., not a Marriott or Hilton chain) for about $125-150 a night but one needs to book early.

Last edited:
There can be terrible storms that come through. There can be really nice weather. If you are camping, many of the mountain campgrounds will still be closed. I would recommend May over the earlier months.

Mountains closed yes, valleys no.

The valleys are usually ready to go by March.

This past Spring had some of the most vibrant greens I can remember and the magenta flowers on the cactuses were insane.

I concur with this 100%.

As far as the weather goes, my rule of thumb is to look at the weather on the West Coast (from San Francisco north but particularly the upper area) knowing you are perhaps a week away from it hitting Colorado. If the weather is nice, then you are good to go. In any event, the nights will likely be quite cold.

I am seriously thinking of a visit to the great state of Colorado next year. It would make a nice road trip vacation. However, rather than Spring, I am now thinking of starting my visit as soon as the next school year starts - late August to early September.

Suggestions for places of interest are welcome. We enjoy nature, history, small town festivals, and such. I imagine we will spend a few days in Denver, but our focus will be the entire state.

Back
Top Bottom