Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Columbus, OH to Denver, CO
Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Columbus, OH to Denver, CO

Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone has made a similar big move. I'm 35, married with two small children(3 and 1), lived in ohio my whole life and while we have many friends near us and family a few hours away we love denver and are considering a move if one of us gets a good job opportunity. We have 4 properties in columbus, good jobs and live in a great neighborhood/best school district so we don't want to make a foolish decision but on the other hand feel like the weather/outdoor life we want for us and our kids would be better in denver...especially long term. Are we crazy?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I made a similar move when I was 26. I moved from western PA to Denver. I haven't regretted it a single day and that was 14+ years ago. My whole family still lives in PA and Ohio so we go back to visit 2-4 times a year.

The weather in Denver is so much nicer. It is sunny about 300 days a year, there are so many things to do, the mountains are close by, it's never humid either.

The downside is that Denver is growing super fast right now so the housing market is a little crazy if you want to live right in Denver. There is a lot of new construction though, both near downtown (condos) and in many of the suburbs (homes and condos). Traffic can be a real pain, depending on where you live/work.

From what I can tell, the job market is good. DH and I have both been self employed for the past 10 years so I am out of touch with what careers have good opportunities here.

There are definitely good schools here plus a good number of charter schools that are public. I am so happy that my daughter will grow up here.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I feel like half of my friends from college ended up moving from columbus to Denver. They were told "don't tell your friends back home how awesome it is, we don't need any more Midwesterners!"

They all love it there and wouldn't move back for anything. Me? I'm staying in the buckeye state.
Papa bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a few very good college friends that made the move years ago and absolutely love it...that is driving sone of this. None of them have kuds though so plenty of free time. We did notice some housing prices are very high...and we would want to be in a best school district, good commute, etc to make such a big move.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is terrible here: not enough water, increasingly crazy housing prices, crappy schools in the city of Denver, rattlesnakes, blizzards, etc. Stay in Ohio.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
It is terrible here: not enough water, increasingly crazy housing prices, crappy schools in the city of Denver, rattlesnakes, blizzards, etc. Stay in Ohio.
Copyright infringement...
Old 04-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. we have that, too. Its really terrible.

- George Orwell

Old 04-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So you both hate denver then?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The only place I like less than Denver is Texas.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The only place I like less than Denver is Texas.
Actually, I think OP would be far happier "where the stars at night are big and bright" rather than Denver.

- George Orwell

Old 04-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I grew up in booming SoCal, I've lived in Denver (in the mid-80's) and now live in Ohio. Some things about Denver were really nice--highly variable weather (It'll get cold, but it won't stay dreary for a week at a time), the open spaces once out of the city, beautiful nearby mountains (and skiing). But I wouldn't move back there. I sure wouldn't go back to SoCal. The cost of living is so much more moderate where we are that it helps on the 'ol budget quite a bit, and opens up other options. The ack of congestion is fantastic, people just seem to get a lot less friendly when packed in cheek-by-jowl. Plus, we're not big on boomtowns--we saw Denver/Aurora blow up due to overbuilding, and we lived through a similar spike in Las Vegas. Lots of "new", lots of transient people and families. We prefer a town were people have roots, extended family, and a longstanding stake in the health of the community--I think it makes the job of being a parent considerably easier.
But, I can understand the attraction.
When I chat with travelers who grew up in the Midwest, many long for a more exciting home somewhere else. They've probably never had the fun of crawling along in six lanes of stop-and-go traffic with all their neighbors for two hours. Every day. People who moved to the Midwest from a more trendy spot often appreciate what they have quite a bit more.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:17 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone has made a similar big move. I'm 35, married with two small children(3 and 1), lived in ohio my whole life and while we have many friends near us and family a few hours away we love denver and are considering a move if one of us gets a good job opportunity. We have 4 properties in columbus, good jobs and live in a great neighborhood/best school district so we don't want to make a foolish decision but on the other hand feel like the weather/outdoor life we want for us and our kids would be better in denver...especially long term. Are we crazy?

I would also checkout Utah and Washington for job opportunities.

I just spent a month at Keystone snowboarding. I go to Park city Utah every year also.

Denver is a cool city but man is it getting crowded. Its a top destination for college grads.

If you ski or snowboard it definitely would be worth the move and your kids will be very lucky to grow up near world class ski resorts.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:48 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Yep. we have that, too. Its really terrible.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

If it gets any more crowded, nobody is going to want to live there!
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

moved five times in eight years...Portland to Miami, Miami to Phoenix, Phoenix to Houston, Houston to DC, DC to Denver. Been in Denver since 1989. Great place to live and very easy to make friends.

Plus, I am moving to Az full time so you can have my slot in Denver.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #16

I lived in Colorado (not Denver) 40 years ago, about the time they first came out with the "Native" bumper stickers. Even way back then, people were complaining about all the newcomers from other states clogging up the roads and raising home prices.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have moved all over the country for work reasons in my career. CA to OH to KY to TX to CA to NM. One thing that I have concluded, every location has good and bad points. It depends on how you prioritize those points as to whether you like or dislike a location.

My sister lives in Denver area, it is a very big city and reminds me too much of being in CA with traffic, housing costs rising, and recent political climate. In other words CO is becoming californicated, a lot of that because too many CA transplants. Denver is great for activities, and I would rather be there than Columbus, given those as two options. That is mostly because I would rather be in sunny and lower humidity.

I think Denver can be good for a young person with the vibrant local economy. Assuming you can get a good job, I would not call you crazy.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa bear View Post
They were told "don't tell your friends back home how awesome it is, we don't need any more Midwesterners!"
The only thing Denverians hate more than Midwesterners is Texans...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Serious question about "not enough water." Is this potentially a crisis in waiting?

I have a rain barrel I use to water my plants. Heard that was illegal there. Gotta let the water go to feed California or something.

CO is one area I'd consider moving to, if I got sick of the humidity here in the Southeast. But that humidity means infrequent at worst droughts.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok, here's a compromise; stay in Columbus, retire early, then go visit Denver and stay with all your friends.

That's my plan...
Papa bear is offline   Reply With Quote