Compression socks for long air travel

The Rodent

Recycles dryer sheets
Would appreciate your comments on using compression socks to minimize lower leg swelling and discomfort on long haul air travel (10+ hours).

Also, please share the brand name and compression level of the socks you purchased.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Michael

Rather than socks, I recommend simply getting up and walking back and forth the length of the cabin every hour or so. I like an aisle seat partly for this reason.

I recently discovered Comrad compression socks, and love them. They are comfortable, nice-looking...and they work. My leg veins aren't the greatest (it's hereditary) and the Comrads help prevent the weariness and pain that always accompanied long travel days. They come in several sizes for men and women. https://www.comradsocks.com/pages/our-story

Believe me, if just getting up and down and walking now and then were enough, I wouldn't spend the money on special socks.

I've done the Boston to Shanghai run (18+ hours) more times than I can count (literally, maybe 50-60 times) and the even more dreaded Paris to Kuala Lumpur leg.

I always used compression socks. Can't remember the brand.

It's one of those things that you'll never know if they helped but you'd hate to not wear them and find out. I've witnessed a few of the "Narita Heart Attacks" first-hand.

Walking around does help but sometimes you might fall asleep for several hours and not get that exercise in.

Last edited:
Our good friend just RT from West Coast to Florence/Greece. 11 or 12 hours IIRC. She has MD (She is one of Jerry's kids) She wore compression socks on the way over. Did not on the way back. She said they were too hot. She had significant swelling at home on her return. It took several days for her to be able to move around much. I don't know if the MD contributed or not

I would use them if there is any risk.

Love using compression socks for long flights. Look on eBay, non branded ones are a fraction of the cost of a name brand model and they all work just about the same. I buy wool blend ones. They seem to breath better.

Highly recommend. I just buy them for $20 at the airport kiosks (because I forget about them :LOL:) for a trip in coach longer than three hours. They really work for me to keep my lower legs from swelling, which is never a problem for me otherwise.

We do not wear them but we do get up and walk around. We take several long (10hrs plus) flights per year. So far so good.

I bought and use the Jobst brand (from Kroger, I think) when I take long trips (fly or drive). They work fine for me. I had a below-the-knee clot about 8 years ago, so I'm probably at risk for more of them, this is cheap insurance. I also make it a point to get up occasionally and to flex/relax the calf and leg muscles while seated. Opinions differ, but I always make sure to take a baby aspirin each day starting a few days before I go (I take one daily, anyway, now).
Hand-wash these stockings, don't run them through the dryer.

A deep vein embolism, or a pulmonary embolism that starts as a deep vein embolism, is a serious problem anytime. It's a bigger issue when you are locked in that aluminum tube and at least 5 hours away from real help.

Compression calf sleeves are another option. They won't get worn out in the toes or heels since they don't have them, and they can be reused without washing for your return flights. Zensah and CEP are good brands. I wear them occasionally during and after long runs.

I get up and walk around too. Drink lots of liquids, go to restroom, stand around a bit and stretch. Unfortunagely I'm not much of a sleeper on our 10+ hour flights from the West Coast.

Compression calf sleeves are another option. They won't get worn out in the toes or heels since they don't have them, and they can be reused without washing for your return flights. Zensah and CEP are good brands. I wear them occasionally during and after long runs.

This is what DH wears, and he wears them at home a lot too.

Actually I’m not sure what problem he is trying to solve as his legs don’t swell. Maybe more to do with varicose veins.

Last edited:
This is what DH wears, and he wears them at home a lot too.

Actually I’m not sure what problem he is trying to solve as his legs don’t swell. Maybe more to do with varicose veins.
Maybe they just feel better with improved circulation?

Maybe they just feel better with improved circulation?

He started a few years ago. The much older neighbor was using them and he decided it made sense for him, and has been using them for years. He is tall, and most of that is his long legs.

DH wears the Pelisy brand. Purchased on Amazon for 10.99 p/p, compression strength 20/30 recommended by his medical people. They are listed as soccer socks graduated athletic.

I sometimes wear them and I sometimes don't when I travel (up to 12 hours on a plane). I see or feel no difference whatsoever when I wear them, but that doesn't mean they are no good. It just means I can't tell if they're helping or not.

I've done the Boston to Shanghai run (18+ hours) more times than I can count (literally, maybe 50-60 times) and the even more dreaded Paris to Kuala Lumpur leg.

I always used compression socks. Can't remember the brand.

It's one of those things that you'll never know if they helped but you'd hate to not wear them and find out. I've witnessed a few of the "Narita Heart Attacks" first-hand.

Walking around does help but sometimes you might fall asleep for several hours and not get that exercise in.

18 hrs - Hats Off to you sir !

Been working international for near to 20 years and our longest flight from Africa is about 12 to 13 hours - depending headwinds.

18 hours ..... Would not enjoy that flight for sure.

God willing I'll retire at years end and ms gamboolgal and I will most likely not never get another stamp in our passports again.

18 hrs.....dam

I wore them on an 8 hr flight and I'm not sure if they helped or not. It did seem like the few walks I took around the cabin helped. IMO, it helps if things are moving after sitting a while.

I get up and walk around too. Drink lots of liquids, go to restroom, stand around a bit and stretch.

+1

Back
Top Bottom