Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Surely, all the TSA were wearing the blue gloves, .
I've noticed that they were wearing gloves even before the coronavirus.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I'm not sure what skin exposure has to do with it. nCoV, like most viruses, is most likely to be contracted through the mucous membranes of the throat, mouth, eyes, and sinuses. The only concern I can think of about skin contact is that you can eventually transfer it to a mucous membrane, but keeping your hands away from your face along with frequent hand washing and sanitizing can eliminate that vector. It is not transmissible directly through the skin unless you have a cut or abrasion.

You could also transfer it from your clothes, but I don't know how big an issue that might be. It's certainly not the most likely route of transmission, and as others have said, if I'm going to be in a travel hub where contamination is possible, even remotely, I might as well try to reduce (not eliminate) the chances of contracting it. Much like wearing a seat belt, I'm not likely to need it during any one trip, but I always wear it, because the consequences of needing it but not having it are too steep.

Of course, you can choose not to do so, but I am not sure why you feel like you need to persuade others not to.

What I'm trying to say is that a surgical mask and sunglasses will not protect you from viruses. This is a fact. A surgical mask is intended to be worn by health professionals during surgery and during nursing to catch the bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose. They are not designed to protect the wearer from inhaling airborne bacteria or virus particles. My wife is a surgical O/R nurse (still holds a licence even though she is retired) and a germophobe . She understands this and thinks people are being silly wearing those surgical masks. If you want real protection read on...

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2...st-coronavirus
Old 02-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
What I'm trying to say is that a surgical mask and sunglasses will not protect you from viruses. This is a fact. A surgical mask is intended to be worn by health professionals during surgery and during nursing to catch the bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose. They are not designed to protect the wearer from inhaling airborne bacteria or virus particles. My wife is a surgical O/R nurse (still holds a licence even though she is retired) and a germophobe . She understands this and thinks people are being silly wearing those surgical masks. If you want real protection read on...

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2...st-coronavirus

Ah, we're arguing the same point! Sorry, I was distracted by the mention of skin, I have posted a few times about N95 vs. surgical masks, including explaining the ratings. Totally agree.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Holy crap! We flew back from FLL to LAX last night and we were horrified to see so many people wearing surgical masks around the airport and on the plane. We were sitting on the first row of the plane and the couple on the opposite side was wearing surgical masks and so was the couple behind them. This made my wife nervous so she wiped our seats and arm rests with Purell and Lysol wipes. It was funny watching them eat meals with their masks on. I wanted to take a video of that with my phone, but my wife shut that idea down. I guess they thought the the food and utensils were virus free. While waiting for our luggage, one passenger was pretty loud and making comments about all these people wearing masks around the luggage carousel. It was pretty surreal to see that here.
Well, that made it safer for you guys. You didn’t have to worry about catching their germs.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I've noticed that they were wearing gloves even before the coronavirus.
Of course, they’ve been wearing blue gloves for years.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:09 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Exactly, that's nothing new.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OMG...and I only own black gloves...a fashion faux pas?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Travel Plan Changes Due to Coronavirus?
Old 02-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #148
Full time employment: Posting here.

Travel Plan Changes Due to Coronavirus?

The face masks are sold out around my city. Look on amazon to see people reselling them for ~$10-25 each.

I think it is beneficial around so many people (or in China in general due to air pollution)

Rumor is chinese customs are steaming many of the personal shipments for “redistribution” to party officials.

Don’t understand why anyone would try to convince people not to wear them.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Did you have insurance, and what kind was it (the cruise company, outside company, credit card) ?

Did you lose money, like maybe a deposit ?
No money lost -- Feb 1 was the date for payment.

I hope it is contained and burns out quickly, but DH seems to be susceptible to various lung infections. (I have a theory that we all have a physical susceptibility, but the particular system that's the weak link is different for different people. I guess you can tell that I'm not a real doctor. )
Old 02-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
Don’t understand why anyone would try to convince people not to wear them.
If you want to protect other people from your germs, go right ahead.

But it’s not sufficient protection for you from other people.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:51 AM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I saw two TSA workers wearing masks at FLL but most were not wearing any protection. I didn't notice any airport personnel at LAX wearing masks.

In any case, in three months were are headed to Switzerland flying out of LAX on Virgin Atlantic. Hopefully this will have passed otherwise it's going to be interesting scene at the upper class bar on the plane. I can just picture passengers in dark sunglasses and surgical masks sitting at the upper class bar, sipping their drinks. If that happens, I will record a video of that.
Not domestic but in HKT and DMK nearly all airport personnel were wearing masks and that included what appeared to be Thai military at HKT who were monitoring all boarding passengers with a forehead temp. device. Our guide at the Grand Palace in Bangkok said that the usual hoard of Chinese tourists has all but disappeared. FYI.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #152

Quote:
I saw two TSA workers wearing masks at FLL but most were not wearing any protection. I didn't notice any airport personnel at LAX wearing masks.

In any case, in three months were are headed to Switzerland flying out of LAX on Virgin Atlantic. Hopefully this will have passed otherwise it's going to be interesting scene at the upper class bar on the plane. I can just picture passengers in dark sunglasses and surgical masks sitting at the upper class bar, sipping their drinks. If that happens, I will record a video of that.
We flew round-trip between SAN and LAS this week. No masks on TSA or travelers in the airports, but I did see a few Asians walking around Vegas with them (the surgical kind, not the respirators). Probably not any more than I've seen in the past.

On your flight to Switzerland, are you connecting to British Airways to Zurich? We did that last year and it turned out to be a pain because they wouldn't give us seats on the BA flight until we got to LHR, so then we were in the last group to board and they gave us middle seats in the exit row. BA doesn't allow you to put anything under the seat in front of you in those rows, so it was a mad scramble to find any place to stow the carry-ons and personal items (also one woman was hogging the overhead with her folded coat and insisting that nobody put anything on top of it). Anyway, if you happen to be in the same situation, I'd recommend buying seat assignments in advance.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Coronavirus confirmed from a guy (80) from Hong Kong who visited China (not Wuhan) and boarded a large-scale cruise ship that originated in Japan.

"The man started coughing a day before getting on the ship and developed a fever on January 30. He tested positive for the new coronavirus on Saturday."

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200203_22/

It has more detals on Asahi News online (in Japanese) and that says

Passengers and crew members totaling about 3,500. The timeline looks like he didn't have any symptoms for 13 days after visiting China.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASN23...ef=comtop_8_01

I would hate to be on a cruise ship in Asia right now...or any other region, really.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #154
Administrator

Strange there haven’t been more cases reported in Hong Kong, given the ease of entry / exit and number of people transiting between them. At least until today, as apparently Hong Kong is closing most of the border crossings.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
We flew round-trip between SAN and LAS this week. No masks on TSA or travelers in the airports, but I did see a few Asians walking around Vegas with them (the surgical kind, not the respirators). Probably not any more than I've seen in the past.

On your flight to Switzerland, are you connecting to British Airways to Zurich? We did that last year and it turned out to be a pain because they wouldn't give us seats on the BA flight until we got to LHR, so then we were in the last group to board and they gave us middle seats in the exit row. BA doesn't allow you to put anything under the seat in front of you in those rows, so it was a mad scramble to find any place to stow the carry-ons and personal items (also one woman was hogging the overhead with her folded coat and insisting that nobody put anything on top of it). Anyway, if you happen to be in the same situation, I'd recommend buying seat assignments in advance.
We are taking the same flights as last year to Switzerland. Virgin Atlantic from LAX to LHR and then BA from LHR to Geneva (GVA). There will be no fighting for seats or overhead cabin space. We booked in Upper Class like last year but for $2499 each this year ($500 less each) and we picked our seats already for the VA flight. BA flight seats can be selected 24 hours before the flight otherwise they charge $107 per seat/flight to reserve the seats in advance (business class). Last year the Business Class cabin was practically empty but coach was full. We visit Switzerland every year and own a home near Lausanne. Then there's my wife's family and many friends that we have known for decades.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

To answer the original question:
For the first time in 15 years we are not planning a four to six week spring trip to Asia or the South Pacific.
We had not booked early because we are doing some work on the house, and now will wait until we see how this plays out.
The drug department at H-E-B has N95 masks at about $2 each.
Safe travels to all.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Interesting talk on Science Friday about the Coronavirus. Four things stood out for me:

1. There may be a way to detect the virus exposure earlier than waiting two weeks. This will make identifying and quarantining the right people easier.

2. The chances of getting a vaccine in time to prevent a world-wide epidemic are 'less than those of moving the Grand Canyon to Minnesota'. So we can't depend on a vaccine to prevent an epidemic. Other methods need to be used.

3. Other drugs that have been approved for other viral diseases may be pressed into service and may be useful. Better than nothing, right?

4. Quarantining a city, if is done, needs to be done better. Apparently, one city in China was quarantined, and about 5 million people fled it in the 36 hours between the announcement and the time the barriers were in place. Thus, the quarantine may be spreading the virus faster than it would have.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Coronavirus confirmed from a guy (80) from Hong Kong who visited China (not Wuhan) and boarded a large-scale cruise ship that originated in Japan.

"The man started coughing a day before getting on the ship and developed a fever on January 30. He tested positive for the new coronavirus on Saturday."

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200203_22/

It has more detals on Asahi News online (in Japanese) and that says

Passengers and crew members totaling about 3,500. The timeline looks like he didn't have any symptoms for 13 days after visiting China.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASN23...ef=comtop_8_01

I would hate to be on a cruise ship in Asia right now...or any other region, really.
The cruise the guy was on disembarked Jan 25, so all 3,500 people got off and went somewhere. The ship refilled and is now coming back, with another 3,500 possibly (less chance) infected people.
Depending upon how long the surface life of the virus is, and what the 80 yr old fellow touched, will determine if the second batch of 3,500 people are at risk.

The first 3,500 group, I wonder how many were American's who flew back home.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The cruise the guy was on disembarked Jan 25, so all 3,500 people got off and went somewhere. The ship refilled and is now coming back, with another 3,500 possibly (less chance) infected people.
Depending upon how long the surface life of the virus is, and what the 80 yr old fellow touched, will determine if the second batch of 3,500 people are at risk.

The first 3,500 group, I wonder how many were American's who flew back home.
From the article on Asahi News, it is not clear everyone (3,500 people) got off the cruise ship in Hong Kong but I think it's more like like the cruise ship continued to stop at different ports after the guy disembarked with essentially the same passengers/crew members.

To add, the guy travelled from Hong Kong to China (Shenzhen Guangdang Province) on Jan 10 and stayed there for several hours and then, after returning to Hong Kong, he flew to Tokyo on the 17th and got on the cruise ship on the 20th. When the ship reached Hong Kong on the 25th, he disembarked. A day before onboarding the ship (19th), his cough started and on the 30th, he developed a fever and was later diagnosed with the coronavirus.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
^^^ Right, that is how Princess sells cruises. They have a cruise of X days, and a cruise of Y days, and then they offer a cruise of Z days, but Z is really just X+Y . What other cruise lines call a back to back cruise.

So some of the passengers on the fellow's cruise would be staying on for the "next" leg of the cruise.