Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Your trip sounds lovely.

Let’s just say DH’s and my individual strengths complement each other’s . He enjoys a challenge and if there isn’t one, he’ll create it. I liked hearing all the details the first time he talked about them , and he has enjoyed my “perhaps” overly spontaneous travel planning (“honey, want to go to Scotland? Good, because I just booked a trip.”)

For his Spain planning there was the complication of having two other couples to consider and their time constraints, even though they and I agree to whatever DH suggests. One couple lived in Spain many years ago and has traveled there since, but this is our first and probably only trip to these areas as we have other places we’ve not been to that we want to see. We are going to southern Spain: Seville, Rondo, Granada, Mallorca, and Barcelona, total of 15 days, no day trips other than a private driver in Rondo for a day. We are a pretty flexible group and have traveled together many times so it will be a great trip regardless. I hope!

Sometimes good to have a mix of travel styles imo—we are taking our first and likely our only group tour of southern Ireland with some elderly relatives in May. The full tourbus experience, to make things easy for them. In July we have a Florida beach week in a condo with friends. I might have to offset these and the Spain trip that with a little getaway for just DH and me, and I will definitely check the OP’s Costco options first for that.
Neat! Sounds like a great trip! Well it has to be far more work with 3 couples - no wonder you are running into hotel availability issues!

Neat that you are going to Mallorca too! We should put that on our list.

In Andalusia we are staying in Sevilla, Nerja, Granada, Úbeda and Córdoba (Cádiz and Jerez are a combined day trip). We plan to make a Ronda a day trip by bus - leaving very early. And it’s a long bus ride, but should be very scenic. Most of our transfers between cities in Andalusia are by bus too. The Granada train network is currently under reconstruction for high speed, so train passengers are being bussed to and from Antequerra. And some of the other cities are not reachable by train. Long distance bus travel in that area is very common from what I understand, and nice big airconditioned buses.

I would love it if DH told me he’d already booked a trip. The planning is all on my shoulders. Once long ago he arranged a trip for us to Yellowstone and it was fantastic (he was somewhat recreacting a trip from childhood). But somehow that was it!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We staid at the Westin Excelsior in Florence and liked it very much. For Venice I would strongly suggest that you select a hotel that is near San Marco Square. Do not choose the hotel on Murano or the other that is on a private island. For Rome, I would select one that is near the areas you are most interested in. Rome is huge and the sites that are must see are not necessarily near each other.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Planning a trip overseas, especially when you move about every few days can be a lot of work. I like the idea of planting oneself for at least four days and up to a few weeks in one city and seeing the city, and surrounding area very well. It's especially nice when you walk into a small bar or cafè and the person behind the counter greats you with a warm hello and asks if you want the usual cappuccino to start the day.

If the goal is to move around a lot and see many things - a few days here and a day or two there - an organized tour from a good company is probably a good choice for many.
That Best of Italy - Your Way tour seems like a pretty nice itinerary, IMHO.

I have used Rick Steves and been very satisfied. His tours seem a bit on the expensive side, but between the well located hotels, great guides, comfy bus, and the no-extras, no-tipping, no sales-stops policies, I am amazed at how rarely I open my wallet for more than a snack or the occasional meal.

OTOH, the idea of arriving in London on Day 1 and leaving for home from Budapest on Day 30, with no firm plans for in-between does sound very tempting at times.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have had good luck using the Rick Steves guides for picking hotels (in Paris, Milan, and Rome).

We have not taken their tours though - we used to think they were for "old people", now we think they are for "young people" :-D
wenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
What I would do is look at the booking.com number rating and the trip advisor reviews for the hotels offered and make my choice. Maybe that won’t take too long.

A shortcut would be the booking.com rating number, look at their photos and location - booking.com even gives distance to major attractions. All on one page.

I’m curious about the whole trip works out for you. I haven’t done a Costco package trip, but I was seriously eyeballing a Virgin Islands trip last year. Unfortunately they then got hit super hard by big hurricanes.

Believe me, I understand. It usually takes me a day and sometimes two to select a hotel for each city. Even when soliciting DH’s help. Which is why I feel qualified to give you the shortcut listed above. See my sig line!

I’ve just come off weeks of picking hotels in Holland and Spain. We are staying in a bunch of different places. It can be enjoyable if you are not rushed. Unfortunately I was because our trip is coming up soon.

If you’re still interested in the Virgin Islands, they have recovered quite a bit already. We are going again in April. The big hotels aren’t open, but lots of airbnb/VRBO accommodations are available.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Well, $7600 later, and we’re set!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
That's a 9 night trip for two, just for land costs?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:02 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Great! Enjoy your trip!

How did you end up picking your hotels?
Old 03-09-2018, 04:56 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Great! Enjoy your trip!

How did you end up picking your hotels?

Luckily, there was a list, albeit long, so I picked what I perceived to be a good location.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:45 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
In post #16 I think, OP says “Yes, air, ground transport, hotels, first-class rail...” (I looked at this trip and the breakfasts are also included). It’s a good price imo.

It should be a wonderful trip!
Old 03-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Actually twelve nights, as we appended a three night stay in Paris on the way home. Plus RT air, airport transfers, and intercity first-class rail, and “free” breakfast! [emoji12]

Old 03-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, I followed the link and the standard 9 night package is just under $3600 without air.

That is why I was surprised at your price.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:46 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmm, I followed the link and the standard 9 night package is just under $3600 without air.

So add RT airfare for two people, three additional nights in Paris, and perhaps picking some nicer hotels.

I know for us RT economy airfare is usually going to be $2600 to $3000 for two since we don’t live in NY or Boston or one of the cities that usually has fantastic prices on flights to Europe.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Their price is actually better if it includes air.

$400 a day is pretty high.

Must be 5 star hotels.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Apologies to anyone who is troubled by the cost of my trip...

Luckily, I’ll get the Costco Executive member rebate, plus cash back from the Costco Visa! [emoji41]

Old 03-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To paraphrase Robin Goodfellow/Puck, "I'll put a girdle round about the earth for 400 bucks".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Their price is actually better if it includes air.

Must be 5 star hotels.
Italy is expensive, because everybody wants to go there. If you want to go somewhere that resembles Tuscany but is priced like Tuscany was 50 years ago, try the Istria peninsula in Croatia.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Not sure how Costco handles the currency conversion, but it takes about $1.23+ to buy a euro...

Old 03-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Italy is a relative bargain compared to other European countries.

Unless you want to always stay in 5-star hotels, like the ones overlooking the Grand Lagoon in Venice.

There are a lot of boutique 3 and 4 star hotels which are great. They won't have a big pool or be on the busiest piazzas but great location nevertheless.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We leave 4/15 for a 12 night repositioning cruise NYC to Southampton with stops in the Azores, Cork, LeHavre and 1 stop in England--$750 each including all taxes. Then we spend 2 nights in London @ $159 before flying to Dublin and spending one night @ $89. Renting car and driving southwest to County Kerry for 3 nights @ $100. We spend 2 nights more in Dublin @ $133 before flying to the U.S. for $182 each. Total is just over $2000 for both of us.

We keep our eyes open for travel deals online, fly budget airlines and spend about half what the average traveler spends. And we fortunately take trips twice as often as most people.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote