Join Early Retirement Today

Crystal Cruise diverted
Old 01-23-2022, 08:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Crystal Cruise diverted

Never heard of this happening before. Who would’ve thought that Crystal wasn’t paying its fuel bills so couldn’t dock back in Miami as planned?

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Arrest warrant issued for Crystal Cruises ship due to unpaid fuel bills, passengers, crew still on board

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ls/6621793001/
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #2

As if I needed another reason not to go on a big cruise ship.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:46 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Time to go buy your own boat if you want to spend time on the water, like Robbie is doing.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:51 AM   #4

Yes, I follow TPG and they posted about this line suspending operations this week:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/breaki...ds-operations/
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

that is crazy! Now passengers have to arrange different transportation home?
Really not wanting to cruise right now.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
As if I needed another reason not to go on a big cruise ship.
And another good reason to use trip insurance.

Given the disruptions, I’m really surprised this hasn’t happened until now. That cruise line is in trouble. It brings to mind The Sun Also Rises

“How did you go bankrupt?” Bill asked. “Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually, then suddenly.”
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:03 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it's time for Genting Hong Kong (parent company) to sell some Bitcoin and pay those overdue fuel bills!
Old 01-23-2022, 10:22 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great threads on this over at Cruise Critic, on their Boards, under Crystal Cruises. Onboard passengers posting about the saga as it unfolds on all three Crystal ships in real time. Some of the posts are heartbreaking, but a surprising amount of them are quite humorous and/or uplifting. Either way, they appear to be a very loyal group of customers.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #9

WOW! This is the lux line - ranks right up there with Silversea and Cunard depending on one's individual opinion. Very surprising they aren't paying some bills.
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichealKnight View Post
WOW! This is the lux line - ranks right up there with Silversea and Cunard depending on one's individual opinion. Very surprising they aren't paying some bills.
Cunard is not a luxury line, it’s squarely mass market, both in price and amenities at least by today’s standards. And, of course, it’s now owned by Carnival Corp. And having sailed it’s three ships many times while under Carnival’s ownership, that is very clear IMO.

I do understand, however, that back in its heyday it was quite the line, but I’m afraid that ship has sailed. Pun intended.

The website I mentioned above has a lot of detail about how the finances went south for Crystal. A long and sorry saga.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:56 AM   #11

Reading some of the comments from passengers I was surprised at how many of them are perfectly fine with the situation. They seem to love Crystal so much that they are more than willing to forgive them for this.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I believe that some people have trouble separating the product and the people from the company. Not just on Crystal.

Some Holland America boosters are very much like that. They take offence when anyone dares to criticize 'their' (as they put it) cruise line.

Very strange.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I believe that some people have trouble separating the product and the people from the company. Not just on Crystal.

Some Holland America boosters are very much like that. They take offence when anyone dares to criticize 'their' (as they put it) cruise line.
Yes, each line seems to appeal to a very specific and committed demographic.

My guess is that they get a high percentage of repeat customers who tend to identify with the ships on that line and develop a kind of "in crowd" mentality.

Not for us, although I can sort of understand since we have a strong preference for flying on Delta as opposed to the other airlines that serve our area. A matter of familiarity coupled with past good experiences.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:52 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a good friend on this cruise. He has maintained his sense of humor and has said people are behaving very well. This is his first cruise on the line, so he’s not really a rah rah guy for the line.
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The ship's sitting in Bimini--just outside of the U.S. And the passengers were shuttled to Miami on a ferry.

If the ship comes into U.S. waters, it's going to be repossessed under a default judgement for the $4.6 million fuel bill owed. It's kind'a like a second mortgage that was defaulted on.

And discussions continue between lawyers.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:43 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I wonder if this shows economic weakness in all cruise lines, or is just specific to this one ?

Wish I could fill up the car and just drive away without paying
Old 01-24-2022, 11:13 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Reading some of the comments from passengers I was surprised at how many of them are perfectly fine with the situation. They seem to love Crystal so much that they are more than willing to forgive them for this.

We’ve never cruised on Crystal, but we’ve been told the price includes free-flowing Champagne. If this is true, maybe that’s why the passengers are ok with this “disruption.”
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:41 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
We’ve never cruised on Crystal, but we’ve been told the price includes free-flowing Champagne. If this is true, maybe that’s why the passengers are ok with this “disruption.”
Just as long as their CO2 tanks and pale white wine don't run out.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote