Crystal Cruise diverted

Time to go buy your own boat if you want to spend time on the water, like Robbie is doing. :)

that is crazy! Now passengers have to arrange different transportation home?
Really not wanting to cruise right now.

As if I needed another reason not to go on a big cruise ship. :facepalm:

And another good reason to use trip insurance.

Given the disruptions, I’m really surprised this hasn’t happened until now. That cruise line is in trouble. It brings to mind The Sun Also Rises

“How did you go bankrupt?” Bill asked. “Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually, then suddenly.”

Sounds like it's time for Genting Hong Kong (parent company) to sell some Bitcoin and pay those overdue fuel bills!;)

Great threads on this over at Cruise Critic, on their Boards, under Crystal Cruises. Onboard passengers posting about the saga as it unfolds on all three Crystal ships in real time. Some of the posts are heartbreaking, but a surprising amount of them are quite humorous and/or uplifting. Either way, they appear to be a very loyal group of customers.

WOW! This is the lux line - ranks right up there with Silversea and Cunard depending on one's individual opinion. Very surprising they aren't paying some bills.

WOW! This is the lux line - ranks right up there with Silversea and Cunard depending on one's individual opinion. Very surprising they aren't paying some bills.

Cunard is not a luxury line, it’s squarely mass market, both in price and amenities at least by today’s standards. And, of course, it’s now owned by Carnival Corp. And having sailed it’s three ships many times while under Carnival’s ownership, that is very clear IMO.

I do understand, however, that back in its heyday it was quite the line, but I’m afraid that ship has sailed. Pun intended.

The website I mentioned above has a lot of detail about how the finances went south for Crystal. A long and sorry saga.

Reading some of the comments from passengers I was surprised at how many of them are perfectly fine with the situation. They seem to love Crystal so much that they are more than willing to forgive them for this.

I believe that some people have trouble separating the product and the people from the company. Not just on Crystal.

Some Holland America boosters are very much like that. They take offence when anyone dares to criticize 'their' (as they put it) cruise line.

Very strange.

I believe that some people have trouble separating the product and the people from the company. Not just on Crystal.

Some Holland America boosters are very much like that. They take offence when anyone dares to criticize 'their' (as they put it) cruise line.

Yes, each line seems to appeal to a very specific and committed demographic.

My guess is that they get a high percentage of repeat customers who tend to identify with the ships on that line and develop a kind of "in crowd" mentality.

Not for us, although I can sort of understand since we have a strong preference for flying on Delta as opposed to the other airlines that serve our area. A matter of familiarity coupled with past good experiences.

I have a good friend on this cruise. He has maintained his sense of humor and has said people are behaving very well. This is his first cruise on the line, so he’s not really a rah rah guy for the line.

The ship's sitting in Bimini--just outside of the U.S. And the passengers were shuttled to Miami on a ferry.

If the ship comes into U.S. waters, it's going to be repossessed under a default judgement for the $4.6 million fuel bill owed. It's kind'a like a second mortgage that was defaulted on.

And discussions continue between lawyers.

Reading some of the comments from passengers I was surprised at how many of them are perfectly fine with the situation. They seem to love Crystal so much that they are more than willing to forgive them for this.

We’ve never cruised on Crystal, but we’ve been told the price includes free-flowing Champagne. If this is true, maybe that’s why the passengers are ok with this “disruption.”

We’ve never cruised on Crystal, but we’ve been told the price includes free-flowing Champagne. If this is true, maybe that’s why the passengers are ok with this “disruption.”

Just as long as their CO2 tanks and pale white wine don't run out.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom