Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post

It doesn't look like we'll be snowbirdng anywhere for 3-4 months straight. DW and I both miss our friends, our "stuff", and just sleeping in our own beds. We get tired of eating out and living in hotels. We've thought about a VBRO home for 1-2 months, but cost was a deterrent and it seemed like we'd be going through a lot of trouble to make a short rental seem like home.
I hate staying in hotels also, and we prefer to cook our own meals at home, which is why we rent a house down south for 2-3 months each winter. We bring basically everything we need with us, so we are perfectly comfortable. As for missing friends and family..........well, they will still be there in 2-3 months when we get back, and we usually make new friends wherever we go. As for cost, you might be surprised what you can find on VRBO (or AirBnb, etc) for rentals........we found several nice places this winter in our price range, and the one we ended up with is an incredible value, because the place was going to be vacant for the winter, and the owner just wanted someone in it. I've been pleasantly surprised at the affordability of some of the nice places we've rented over the last several winters.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantman View Post
First time trying the snowbird thing. Been in Florida for four weeks and getting a little bored. Should I just be appreciative of being able to do it or not? It's been very cold and snowy back home, but I am not sure it's worth the money! Maybe I could just hibernate for the winter at home?
I have to say, your post resonates with me. 27 years ago when my folks retired to a life of warm breezes, beaches and golf on Bonita Beach (October- mid-May), I was sure that would be what I wanted for myself. And it may still be, but, I have just returned from that area where I was visiting for a week, and I have my questions. I'm still going to try it next year, for 3 months...but, I have my doubts.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm in Bonita Springs too, we own a small house. Originally I wanted to rent for 3-4 months, but we couldn't find anybody that would rent to us with our 4 (now 3) small dogs. But it has worked out well, and FL is now our primary residence. This should help a bit with the new tax plan, since we don't have state and local taxes other than property taxes. But my issue isn't boredom, it's not having enough time to do all the things I want to do. I hike (Bird Rookery is a totally amazing place, if you like gators and other wildlife) and kayak. We do some gardening. I cook out on the grill 2-3 times/week. I'm getting scuba certified this year, and was also thinking about getting my concealed carry permit. It's not that there's so much more to do here (FL in general) than anywhere else, it's just that you can do it when most people are stuck inside because of the winter. Especially in our other home, where we're in a rural (except in summer season) beach area. It's windy and cold, and there aren't places like big malls or anything you can go to when you get cabin fever. So it's working for us. I suspect in a rental or a trailer you might not spend as much time on gardening and home repairs and such as we do, but even so, sitting out by a pool or going to the beach isn't a bad way to spend a day, vs. watching daytime tv out of boredom.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I personally would recommend leaving, and spending the winter hibernating in the cold. And tell all of your friends to do that too. You're right, it's just not worth it. Boring, fire ants, hurricanes, etc. Get away while you still can.
Bad idea heading back North. Will only make the ski lift lines longer. And parking at the ski lodge is terrible this year.
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We are on the SW Side of Florida, so much to do..... We even joined a boat club, so between the activities in our community, pools, beaches, we go boating...... Going to try fishing in a couple of weeks..... This should be fun.....We also, do day trips up and down the coast from Marco Island to Tampa...... Boat Races in Clearwater and in Key West...... Lots to do ..... We did not know a sole before renting for three months, then we became an owner of a Park Model in the same community we rented that first year...... Lots to do
Old 12-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We are heading down just for week holiday, then catch a cruise for another week in the Caribbean.
One thing I like to do (besides wishing I had a kayak with me), is to go to an outdoor gun range, it's so pleasant rather than being inside.

We walk the beach, walk in parks, see the wildlife, think about moving to FL.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I personally would recommend leaving, and spending the winter hibernating in the cold. And tell all of your friends to do that too. You're right, it's just not worth it. Boring, fire ants, hurricanes, etc. Get away while you still can.
Yes, run. Run quickly.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:35 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

OP - Find out what you enjoy at home and make provisions so that you can enjoy the same things in Florida. Hobbies, etc. I spend 4 months a year in a small Arizona condo and 8 months a year in a bigger Illinois house with a detached workshop. I miss my Illinois workshop when I'm in Arizona, but I've put together a mini workshop to satisfy my workshop craving while snowbirding.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:02 AM   #29

Quote:
I'm in Bonita Springs too, we own a small house. Originally I wanted to rent for 3-4 months, but we couldn't find anybody that would rent to us with our 4 (now 3) small dogs. But it has worked out well, and FL is now our primary residence. This should help a bit with the new tax plan, since we don't have state and local taxes other than property taxes. But my issue isn't boredom, it's not having enough time to do all the things I want to do. I hike (Bird Rookery is a totally amazing place, if you like gators and other wildlife) and kayak. We do some gardening. I cook out on the grill 2-3 times/week. I'm getting scuba certified this year, and was also thinking about getting my concealed carry permit. It's not that there's so much more to do here (FL in general) than anywhere else, it's just that you can do it when most people are stuck inside because of the winter. Especially in our other home, where we're in a rural (except in summer season) beach area. It's windy and cold, and there aren't places like big malls or anything you can go to when you get cabin fever. So it's working for us. I suspect in a rental or a trailer you might not spend as much time on gardening and home repairs and such as we do, but even so, sitting out by a pool or going to the beach isn't a bad way to spend a day, vs. watching daytime tv out of boredom.
Well, this is exactly what DW and I were discussing. I get out just about every day I can even in the dreary cold NY State winter, unless there is snow and ice on the ground and sidewalks. We've had relatively mild and snow-free winters the last few years, so I maybe living in a false sense of reality. DW does not get out nearly enough in the winter IMO, but she seems less affected by being stuck indoors than I am. I go nuts when I can't get out and get some fresh air. I think that this is what will eventually drive us to spending at least 2 or 3 months in sunny Florida.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Buy a ukulele! I've found it fills the bits of leisure time and then find a uke club to join. Great one in Panama City, St Andrews.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Started in 1996 with 3 weeks. Increased in 2002 to one month on the FL east coast, then in 2003 another month on FL west coast. Gradually built up to 5+ months (in Mexico).

We are much more active socially during the winter, with people from all over the US and Canada.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #32

5th year of snowbirding on the FL gulf coast. Love to hit yard and estate sales. Love to walk, ride bicycles and read books on the beach. Blue sky and 70's plus temps., for most of Jan-march. Lots of spring training professional baseball nearby.

My friend asked why we do it. "I figure another 10-15 years left of life. Why spend 25% of it with gray days, brutal cold and snow? I would rather live in eternal spring summer type weather!" But, as DW says, it's not for everybody.
brucethebroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Well, this is exactly what DW and I were discussing. I get out just about every day I can even in the dreary cold NY State winter, unless there is snow and ice on the ground and sidewalks. We've had relatively mild and snow-free winters the last few years, so I maybe living in a false sense of reality. DW does not get out nearly enough in the winter IMO, but she seems less affected by being stuck indoors than I am. I go nuts when I can't get out and get some fresh air. I think that this is what will eventually drive us to spending at least 2 or 3 months in sunny Florida.
It's the winter snow and ice on the sidewalks and roads that make it hard to walk around.

Canadian's might be suprised, but in our IL neighborhood, the sidewalks fill up with snow and are left full by the city, never plowed. The streets are plowed for the worship of cars, but walking on the street is dangerous as that is for the cars.

That's why I like warmer places in Winter, so we can walk around, other than in a shopping mall or a treadmill.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #34

We were in Canada for about a month over Christmas. It was FREEZING. Back in Arizona now and it is beautiful. Mid 70’s mostly sunny. Love this place. Our nicest house.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We done snow birding in SE Asia or Central America for the past five years. We got tired of Florida, etc. Started with Thailand on a whim booking and ten days later we were there. Five years later we are again preparing to leave for two months. The flight is a bear. Might be our last year. Wonderful beaches, interesting sights, friendly people, and relatively low cost.

Looking at doing two one month condo rentals in Panama, Costa Rica, or Puerto Vallarta areas next winter. Somewhere were out daughter and family can join us for a few weeks.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

We snowbird to the west, Arizona. Completely different experiences than Illinois, love the mountain views. We have a jeep set up for mountain rides, have joined a four wheeling club, life is good. Our 7th winter in this state. We started out in our motorhome, working at a state park in exchange for our Colorado River campsite, then rented a house, now our first winter in a purchased house in a Dell Webb community. We stayed three months in past winters, this year we've staying four months.
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We done snow birding in SE Asia or Central America for the past five years. We got tired of Florida, etc. Started with Thailand on a whim booking and ten days later we were there. Five years later we are again preparing to leave for two months. The flight is a bear. Might be our last year. Wonderful beaches, interesting sights, friendly people, and relatively low cost.

Looking at doing two one month condo rentals in Panama, Costa Rica, or Puerto Vallarta areas next winter. Somewhere were out daughter and family can join us for a few weeks.
That sounds really interesting. I agree about FL, it gets so crowded it's hard to go out during the daylight hours (where we are, anyway). I usually wait and do my shopping or errand running after dark, when the old folks have finished their early bird dinners and are playing cards or watching TV. I'd love to spend some time in CA.

But I hate flying, and I doubt the drive from MD to Costa Rica would work out with DW and the dogs (and the hedgehogs). So while there's lots of room for improvement over the FL experience, I'm just grateful it and it's lovely war weather is here to rescue us from the nasty winter days up north. Crowds and all.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
OP - Find out what you enjoy at home and make provisions so that you can enjoy the same things in Florida. Hobbies, etc. I spend 4 months a year in a small Arizona condo and 8 months a year in a bigger Illinois house with a detached workshop. I miss my Illinois workshop when I'm in Arizona, but I've put together a mini workshop to satisfy my workshop craving while snowbirding.
This. Finding hobbies, activities of interest to you will help ensure you enjoy yourself - no matter where you live.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We did a week in Cancun after Christmas and missed the terribly cold weather.
Ski hill business was down 70 percent between Christmas and New Years because of the cold.

It has picked up considerably now, with some extended hours. The extreme cold and snow in the mountains enabled the operators to do grooming and get the hills in shape. I guess next will be avalanche warnings now this it has warmed up a little.

Much better now....just hope it stays this way for another two weeks and then we are outta here. Other than the long flight, 17 hrs, cannot wait to go.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
We were in Canada for about a month over Christmas. It was FREEZING. Back in Arizona now and it is beautiful. Mid 70’s mostly sunny. Love this place. Our nicest house.
We just arrived in south-central Texas this afternoon. Very nice here, 68 degrees. It was below zero when we left northern Michigan three days ago. This is the first time we've rented in this area, but so far we love it. Nice weather, beautiful rental house. I'm very happy to be staying down here for a while.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote