Join Early Retirement Today

Denver/Colorado Springs
Old 06-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Denver/Colorado Springs

Hi all - DH and I will be taking a short vacation (3.5 days) to the Denver area. We will have brief visits with a nephew and a friend, but then want to see the scenery. We are planning to stay in the Colorado Springs area. Any suggestions for things to do or see? I want to take the cog railway up Pikes Peak and probably drive to the Royal Gorge Bridge, but other than those places, we are still planning the itinerary. Anything we should not miss? Anything you know that isn't worth the time? We are more about nature and scenery than art and museums. I do like to shop, though...

Thanks for any suggestions!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

hit boulder
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
hit boulder
Anything in particular?
Old 06-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Pearl St. has TONs of unique shopping

https://www.boulderdowntown.com/
Old 06-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #5

Garden of the Gods is a great park in COS that is well worth a visit. Go early; it can get pretty crowded.

Air Force Academy is also an interesting visit.

Make a reservation for the PP cog railway; that can get sold out as well.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If you're going to Bolder it's worth driving up to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. Personally I wouldn't spend any time shopping and head for the scenery.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can drive your own car up to Pikes Peak if the cog railway doesn't work out.

Seven Falls hiking trail is near the Broadmoor Hotel - Seven Falls Hike in Colorado Springs - Day Hikes Near Denver

I remember some nice shopping (I bought a gorgeous Zuni bracelet) in the Broadmoor area, but this was many years ago.

Castlewood Canyon is north on Rt 83 just south of Parker. http://dayhikesneardenver.com/waterf...lewood-canyon/ We hiked there last September and it was lovely. There are a couple of entrances, I don't remember which one we used.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

A lot of your itinerary might depend on how much driving you want to do....traveling to Boulder and the Royal Gorge area will take you out of the Springs for most of a day at least...unless you leave early...traffic and afternoon storms can impact your travel.

- We live in the Cheyenne Canon area; very close to Seven Falls...if you are staying the "Springs" recommend the following...

- Another rec for Garden of the Gods & the visitor center; (definitely plan to visit early....)
- Broadmoor Hotel; (walk around the lake; grab a drink/snack (Golden Bee pub); visit shops/art galleries and amazing hotel for a short visit)
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (near Broadmoor hotel...)
- Helen Hunt Falls; drive up North Cheyenne Canon (near Broadmoor hotel...)
- Red Rock's Canyon Open Space; another great hiking location near Garden of the Gods
- Manitou Springs (great window shopping & walkability)
- Old Colorado City (great window shopping & walkability)
- Pikes Peak is a highlight; if you drive; plan for at least 1/2 day
- Seven Falls has been purchased/upgraded by the Broadmoor; visitor parking/shuttle is through Broadmoor hotel area.
- Air Force Academy Chapel...

Enjoy your trip....
EpicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #9

Great info, everyone - thanks!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #10

Good reminder, EpicRider -- another vote for Cheyenne Mtn Zoo. One of the nicest small zoos I've ever seen, although quite a bit of steep walking (it's built on a hillside). Don't miss the chance to feed the giraffes -- it's really a hoot.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Cave of the Winds in Manitou Springs is interesting. Manitou also has some interesting shops. At the Royal Gorge you can take the Royal Gorge Route if you are into old trains. Castlewood Canyon is pretty but watch out for the very plentiful rattlesnakes .
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #12

Note that Mount Evans is 110 feet higher than Pikes Peak, off I -70 and it is at least sort of paved the whole way up. You don't get quite as good a view of the plains as Pikes Peak since Mount Evans is a good ways from the front of the range.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #13

You might take one of the Gold Camp Roads from Canon City to Cripple Creek. Gambling and a tourist train in Cripple Creek. Then head north to the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument. Take US 24 back to Colorado Springs. One of the Gold Camp Roads is paved. Ask at the Visitor's Center in Canon City for the easiest/most scenic road to take. Last year they were not all open so do verify at the Visitor's Center. This route takes you in a loop around Pikes Peak. It gets you a bit more into the mountains than going back to Colorado Springs via Florence.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #14

In Boulder, the CELESTIAL SEASONINGS Tea plant is worth visiting.

The Peak to Peak Highway is a nice drive, from Blackhawk to Estes Park

And of course, Rocky Mountain National Park

Are you interested in micro breweries?

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Garden of the Gods is a great park in COS that is well worth a visit. Go early; it can get pretty crowded.

Air Force Academy is also an interesting visit.

Make a reservation for the PP cog railway; that can get sold out as well.
+1

Also go to Broadmoor and Seven Falls. Olympic Training Center is a neat stop if you follow the Olympics. If you like Figure Skating there is a Figure Skating Hall of Fame. Colorado Springs is a wonderful town.

Marc

Roald Amundsen
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #16

Some years ago, I did a trip called "Trains Through Colorado". I have attached the trip story, but the first part is about Pikes Peak, the AF Academy, and Garden of the Gods. All are worth seeing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trains across Colorado 2005.pdf (441.7 KB, 3 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #17

See, I knew this was the place to come for info! All of this helps a lot. I'm thinking this won't be the last trip we take to CO.

timo2 - negative on the microbreweries, but thanks!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #18

still another vote for Garden of the Gods, Red Rock & Air Force Academy campus/chapel.

DH and I drove through Denver on a trip last fall. A college friend who lives in the area served as our tour guide. We enjoyed everything she showed us. We enjoyed bangers and mash at the Golden Bee (mentioned by another poster). Cool area.

Wish we had done the Pike's Peak thing....as well as Boulder.

Hope you report back - with photos.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I visit DD in Boulder often and always go to Rabbit Run for a nice hike with beautiful views; Celestial Seasonings for nice a al fresco meal and stock up on tea; and Spirit Hound Distillery in Lyons, near Boulder.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

In Estes Park, check out the Stanley Hotel - THE SHINING was filmed there. They may still have a working Stanley Steamer. Years ago, there were herds of elk grazing on the grounds. Probably too grown up now, though. Check out Thompson River Canyon - see if you can find info on the dam break there - way cool wall of water coming down the street toward the viewer in a series of photos!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote