Disturbing Air BnB Article

One of the attractions, (for us), with Airbnb, (and we do read the reviews and look for superhosts), is that many of the places we book are on side streets, (OK, alleyways), away (the further away the better), from the 'hotel circuit'.

We like to stay where 'the people' live, and nowhere near the the 'hotel strips'.

not trying to pick on you Nemo. And this may be more of a general comment. Do you suppose all those people that live in that neighborhood really appreciate a part time hotel on their street? Extra cars, garbage, noise, etc. Isn't this exactly what "should" be in a hotel zone? For several years AirBnB was not collecting lodging tax. Isn't this exactly what should be collected on AirBnB?

I have never booked an AirBnB. However I have booked (and like) B&B's.

Do you suppose all those people that live in that neighborhood really appreciate a part time hotel on their street? Extra cars, garbage, noise, etc. Isn't this exactly what "should" be in a hotel zone? For several years AirBnB was not collecting lodging tax. Isn't this exactly what should be collected on AirBnB?

A substantial number of the Airbnb lodgings we've stayed in were studios/apartments owned/rented, and often usually occupied by the individuals renting them out; the units, (perhaps just one in a building), were there and would normally have been occupied by 'someone'.

None of them had anywhere near the extra traffic that even a small hotel would generate......generally a zero sum game.

We likely made less noise than a regular owner/tenant.......in Barcelona, for example, a lady across the alley would play piano every night for an hour or so.....lovely...and heard for quite a distance......she was a local resident.

In Sofia, Bulgaria, the studio was the regular abode of an architect - her sister and a couple other relatives lived in the same small building....she moved out, we moved in.

And so on and so on.....

We've been dinged with taxes.

There are several areas in Bend that are popular with tourists. Air BnBs have sprouted up like wild flowers. The city in 2015 limited the number on a street. The problem was/is 3 or 4 people staying in the same house. 3 (or so) additional cars on the street. Plus parties. The area that i am thinking of has developed over 15 years we have been in Bend to a zone for Brew pubs, food trucks & restaraunts. ie: party central. I understand completely the long time residents complaints. To be fair that's not on AirBnB. The area has changed. And i think the new ordinances helped as i don't hear as many complaints. I am glad we do not live nearby

I guess my observation is if professional AirBnB investors are running a short term rental business it should be in a commercial zone, not a Residential zone. All taxes paid, all inspections for fire & life safety applied. And System Development charges applied for traffic impacts & parks. The Mom & Pop room rental falls for me in a gray area. It sounds as if you are a considerate short term renter

I am not anti AirBnB, although i have not stayed in any. I have stayed in B&Bs a few times & enjoy the homes & hosts. I think the B&Bs are a bit more regulated & respectful of the neighborhood

OP here. For those of you that read the linked article, how do you think the scammer host profited - did they simply not own any nice properties and used this diversion to dumps that they really did own?
I was thinking about that when reading it. And I think you are basically right. Didn't own the original.

The new property they "own" may also be a bit shady. It could be in the process of foreclosure. Or it may be waiting for a renovation. Whatever, although they own it, it may be "sort of own it."

Then they rely on "packing" people in, i.e., nobody wants to stay there, so the 3 nights become 1. So not only are they redirecting to crappy properties, they are packing in days on the crappy property.

Last edited:
Do you suppose all those people that live in that neighborhood really appreciate a part time hotel on their street?
A substantial number of the Airbnb lodgings we've stayed in were studios/apartments owned/rented, and often usually occupied by the individuals renting them out; the units, (perhaps just one in a building), were there and would normally have been occupied by 'someone'.
The problem was/is 3 or 4 people staying in the same house. 3 (or so) additional cars on the street. Plus parties.

Our neighbor is doing the AirBnB thing on weekends. She leaves and stays with her daughter. It is all to make money. I don't like the extra cars at night. I'm not a fan of the extra traffic and confused people driving around. The usual pattern seems to be out of town people, probably coming for a family or friend wedding. Luckily, no parties. But one time there were 4 cars. Looked like a family of cousins met up and stayed there.

She's technically doing it illegally since Raleigh and NC require more of the "rent out the studio room" approach. The laws are in flux and controversial, but basically they are trying to avoid commercial operators coming in and creating whole house rental businesses. This is TBD as the city council has firmly become "millennial friendly" and like will invite more AirBnB type businesses. We'll see.

Here's a shot of one of our Airbnb alleys, (Barcelona), the people pictured are residents...not too many cars:

Likewise Genoa:

Last edited:
not trying to pick on you Nemo. And this may be more of a general comment. Do you suppose all those people that live in that neighborhood really appreciate a part time hotel on their street? Extra cars, garbage, noise, etc. Isn't this exactly what "should" be in a hotel zone? For several years AirBnB was not collecting lodging tax. Isn't this exactly what should be collected on AirBnB?

I have never booked an AirBnB. However I have booked (and like) B&B's.
And your point is? None of that is my problem.

Also, (IMHO), we're likely looking at totally disparate demographics, when comparing the overall Airbnb impact on communities in (say) Europe and the U.S., (Bend, Raleigh, et al).

I'd imagine that, in the latter area, it's more of a "Hey, let's all pile in the car and go to...", whereas, in Europe, very few of the people we encounter are in groups or traveling in (private) vehicles, and they are generally from other countries/continents than the one where the Airbnb is located.

Also, (IMHO), we're likely looking at totally disparate demographics, when comparing the overall Airbnb impact on communities in (say) Europe and the U.S., (Bend, Raleigh, et al).

I'd imagine that, in the latter area, it's more of a "Hey, let's all pile in the car and go to...", whereas, in Europe, very few of the people we encounter are in groups or traveling in (private) vehicles, and they are generally from other countries/continents than the one where the Airbnb is located.
Agree.

We have rented either separate apartments attached to a house or a cottage in the backyard. I wouldn’t rent a bedroom in someone’s house.

Maybe it would be weird as a couple. I did it twice while checking out various areas in central FL. In both places the hosts were at work during the day. I think the hosts take on more of the risk in that situation. For me it worked out great b/c I got local opinion on areas I was considering.

I’ve booked many Airbnbs and only had a couple of issues. The last one was a place that was a well reviewed two bedroom apartment in Budapest, where the host was a Superhost.

When we got there, it wasn’t a two bedroom. It had a bed in a loft (which Airbnb does consider a bedroom) and a pullout sofa bed in the living room.

I contacted the host saying he misrepresented the listing and asked for a refund. He refused, saying nobody every complained. I booked another place on Airbnb and then contacted them about the listing. They got back to me quickly, looked over the listing, and contacted the host. The host didn’t respond to them and they didn’t see a second bedroom in the listing, so they gave me a full refund.

Naturally, the host left me a bad review (apparently we always complain), but I find it funny since we have dozens of positive reviews from other hosts. I did leave a review on his listing stating it wasn’t a two bedroom apartment.

The one thing I’ve learned about Airbnb is to always use their platform when talking about issues with a host. They will review this when there’s a dispute, so it’s good to have a record. Also, contact them immediately. I seem to recall that payment isn’t made to the host until at least a few hours after check-in.

The article puzzles me a bit. I’ve contacted Airbnb multiple times over the years and never had any issues in them responding. I can see how people might fall for a bait and switch. Personally, I’d have requested the host send me the new listing on Airbnb and cancel the existing reservation. I’d never just go to another place.

Like many here though, I’m not using Airbnb to save money, even though that’s often the case.

No, I would never rent anything but an entire apartment or house. You can specify that on AirBnB.
Yes. We had a great condo in Breckenridge but, new to Airbnb, didn't realize the host would live there. It had louvered doors, and the host snored!!

Wow! Really disturbing. I have never used Airbnb nor am I likely to do so, especially after reading this...

We've had about a dozen ABNB experiences and most have been fine and a few have been phenomenal. All with Super Hosts.

Our main objective is to avoid staying in the stacks of anonymous and boring boxes called "hotels." As it turns out we do usually save money, so that is good too. We do read the reviews very carefully, study the pictures, read cancellation policies, and avoid properties that have not been reviewed yet.

+1

Oh, please don't do that. Those of us who read and consider the reviews carefully really want to know what you think.

Yes! I address specific problems privately with the hosts, but in my reviews, I start with the best the give kind hints of anything that might be an issue.

One of the attractions, (for us), with Airbnb, (and we do read the reviews and look for superhosts), is that many of the places we book are on side streets, (OK, alleyways), away (the further away the better), from the 'hotel circuit'.

We like to stay where 'the people' live, and nowhere near the the 'hotel strips'.

We do too. We like to get the flavor of a place and connect with locals when we are able to.

We like the variety and surprise of travel. I am happiest in a restaurant where I don't recognize a single dish on the menu. AirBnB, for us, trades boring predictability for a very acceptable bit of risk. But YMMV.

Agreed- we've had some of our best times getting lost and happening upon stuff no tourist guide will steer you to.

98% of stays never run into these types of issues. Just to provide some perspective...

We've had 100% all good, so I guess we are lucky. Any places where things were weird are some of our favorite travel memories!

Stayed at 4 diff arbnbs throughout Europe, 1 in Vancouver, 1 in Mississippi, a cool a frame cabin on a lake in tx, and rented a house several weeks at a time while hpusehunting in san Antonio. Sometimes bc there are no hotels, or none we choose to pay for, or we are hosting family and want a full house. Only 1 sketchy experience with an apt not as advertised in Barcelona. Will continue to use. Never had anyone try a gypsy switch. Will decline of it comes up based on the article

Wow! Really disturbing. I have never used Airbnb nor am I likely to do so, especially after reading this...
My intent as the OP, wasn't to scare people off, but to brainstorm how to thwart these shysters. My take so far is to never accept an alternate accommodation from the same host if the advertised one is "unavailable" - ask for a full refund and then book a new place either through AirBnB or a hotel. The suggestions to only use super hosts is a good one as well, when possible.

^^^^^^AirBnB policy is pure BS.
No way do they know someone is renting a house as a party house.

Nobody says "I want to rent this house as a party house" and the person renting the house certainly would not want this as it garners as much money as a nice large family renting the house, without the damage.

My intent as the OP, wasn't to scare people off, but to brainstorm how to thwart these shysters. My take so far is to never accept an alternate accommodation from the same host if the advertised one is "unavailable" - ask for a full refund and then book a new place either through AirBnB or a hotel. The suggestions to only use super hosts is a good one as well, when possible.

All communications should be through Airbnb, so that you have an official record.

In addition, a request for a refund must be initiated promptly. I am sure there are renters who fraudulently claimed a refund after actually staying at a place. It would be no different than eBay buyers who claim to never receive the merchandise.

Keeping all communications through AirBnB seems like a good idea, and it's better than nothing, but it won't actually help if you get caught in this particular bait-and-switch scam. The author of the article did that and here's what happened to her.

My one condition was that he put in writing what we’d agreed to verbally: that I’d move back into the original listing as soon as possible, or be refunded for half of my trip if the plumbing issue couldn’t be resolved. He agreed, and I accepted a change to my reservation through Airbnb’s messaging app ... Airbnb only refunded me $399 of my $1,221.20, and only did so after I badgered a number of case managers over the course of several days.

She did not get into the original listing (which was never actually available anyway), and she also got kicked out of the alternate property early. It's hard to tell exactly, but it sounds like she stayed 2 nights in the alternate and was supposed to stay 3 nights. AirBnB refunded ~1/3rd of her payment, but she should have gotten back more like 2/3 based on her written agreement with the host that was documented on AirBnB's own messaging system. So she ended up paying full price for the two nights she stayed at the inferior property despite the half-price they had agreed to, and she had the hassle and expense of finding a hotel for the 3rd night.

I’ve booked many Airbnbs and only had a couple of issues. The last one was a place that was a well reviewed two bedroom apartment in Budapest, where the host was a Superhost.

When we got there, it wasn’t a two bedroom. It had a bed in a loft (which Airbnb does consider a bedroom) and a pullout sofa bed in the living room.

I contacted the host saying he misrepresented the listing and asked for a refund. He refused, saying nobody every complained. I booked another place on Airbnb and then contacted them about the listing. They got back to me quickly, looked over the listing, and contacted the host. The host didn’t respond to them and they didn’t see a second bedroom in the listing, so they gave me a full refund.

Naturally, the host left me a bad review (apparently we always complain), but I find it funny since we have dozens of positive reviews from other hosts. I did leave a review on his listing stating it wasn’t a two bedroom apartment.

The one thing I’ve learned about Airbnb is to always use their platform when talking about issues with a host. They will review this when there’s a dispute, so it’s good to have a record. Also, contact them immediately. I seem to recall that payment isn’t made to the host until at least a few hours after check-in.

The article puzzles me a bit. I’ve contacted Airbnb multiple times over the years and never had any issues in them responding. I can see how people might fall for a bait and switch. Personally, I’d have requested the host send me the new listing on Airbnb and cancel the existing reservation. I’d never just go to another place.

Like many here though, I’m not using Airbnb to save money, even though that’s often the case.

I just got back from a weekend trip to Gdansk, Poland and the same thing happened to me. Advertised as a two bedroom, but in reality it was a one bedroom with two beds (and one was more of a cot than a bed) in the room and a couch (not even a pullout) in the living room. It was a last minute booking and I didn't look at the pictures closely enough to spot this.

I didn't ask for a refund and left a 4 star review, only because, other than that, it was a spectacular apartment. Great location, awesome top floor balcony, very clean, good responsive communication with the host, and the couch was actually more comfortable than many beds I've slept in. However, in the review I was very clear that this listing was inaccurate and that it was indeed a one bedroom apartment, for the benefit of others looking to stay here. It was definitely a five star apartment, if advertised correctly.

In two weeks I'll be heading out to do a trip to Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, and I'll be staying exclusively in airbnbs. Despite the occasional bumps in the road, I love these types of accommodations.

Just saw this: https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/06/airbnb-to-verify-all-of-its-listings/

Airbnb properties will soon be verified for accuracy of photos, addresses, listing details, cleanliness, safety and basic home amenities, according to a company-wide email sent by Airbnb co-founder and chief executive officer Brian Chesky on Wednesday. All rentals that meet the company’s new standards will be “clearly labeled” by December 15, 2020, he notes. Beginning next month, Airbnb will rebook or refund guests who check into rentals that do not meet the new accuracy standards.

I suspect there's a whole new career path about to open for people who want to travel around inspecting AirBnBs.

Back
Top Bottom