Do you "Beach" ?

Peak Beach Experiences

Here's something I saw in a magazine yesterday...

I don't get the "Goonies" thing...Maybe the poll was taken at a showing of the movie.

Apparently only 3% of the respondents did it on the beach, hehe.

Attachments

• peakbeach.jpg
    peakbeach.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 23
So, yeah... about beaches... Big part of our life.
Do you Beach?

As a child growing up in NY we use to go to the Jersey Shore.
Had no problem spending the day there.
As an adult living in GA there is nothing like heading down to FL
and spending a week or two there. We like the spring and fall
when the weather is perfect for us.

Poking around the "news", I found that the president was vacationing on Martha's Vineyard here on the Blue Heron Farm:
Obama's Vacation Rental Goes On Sale For $23.7 Million - Forbes

I don't recall this from our days of living on the Vineyard, back in the early 1960's, but see it's located on Tisbury Great Pond. We used to take our kids age 3 and 4, to South Beach... and walk to the Great Pond inlet where we were the only people on 13 miles of dunes and sandy beach. A wonderful time in our lives. We'd let the kids take off their bathing suits an run au natural among the dunes and in the ocean.

Nothing but fond memories of a time when the island winter population was about 4000, (45,000 in summer) and when JFK would visit the Island on the Honey Fitz. Frank Sinatra docked a yacht at the end of our street in Vineyard Haven and the Mia Farrow/Sinatra story began... Big story when the ship's steward drowned amid suspicious circumstances.
I was managing a store in those days and made personal deliveries (star struck) to island celebrities like Jimmy Cagney and Katherine Cornell. I regularly fished from her property in Tisbury, until I was chased away by her estate caretaker. She was a nice lady and a regular customer.

Yes... the Vineyard... one very large beach.

Last edited:
We're planning a stay this month at my cousin's cottage ("camp," they call it) on Lake Superior east of Marquette, Mich. There's something about the Big Lake that's primeval, like you're at the edge of the earth when you're standing on its wild, wooded shore.

Venture into the water on the open shore and the cold will make you gasp. But some sheltered bays have beaches where you can swim in comfort. My favorite is at a place called Au Train Bay.

The water is Caribbean clear -- here's a photo.
My cousin's camp houses some fond family memories. One time my aunt sent us all out to pick wild blueberries in the woods. I might have been 8 years old at the time. When we came back with our harvest, she baked up a couple pies, which we shared for dessert. In my mind's eye I can still see a berry bush at the edge of a cliff with the lake's waves lapping in a rocky cove below.

I don't beach, but I pool.
No crowds, no whiney kids, no deadly algae, no coliform bacteria, no broken glass, no metal cans, no fish bones, fish heads or rotting fish, no dog poop, no cars or trucks driving by/on, no undertow, no fish hooks or line, no bodies (floating, submerged or drifting), no brain-eating amoebas. No Frankie Avalon. No Beach Blanket Bingo.

Just a few steps away, water always clear, no beachwear (designer or otherwise) required.
If you want to skip stones, you need to bring them, and then retrieve them :D

I don't beach, but I pool.
No crowds, no whiney kids, no deadly algae, no coliform bacteria, no broken glass, no metal cans, no fish bones, fish heads or rotting fish, no dog poop, no cars or trucks driving by/on, no undertow, no fish hooks or line, no bodies (floating, submerged or drifting), no brain-eating amoebas. No Frankie Avalon. No Beach Blanket Bingo.

Just a few steps away, water always clear, no beachwear (designer or otherwise) required.
If you want to skip stones, you need to bring them, and then retrieve them :D

:facepalm:

:LOL:

We beach, but it is not the main focus of all of our vacations like the OP. We kind of alternate.

I grew up on Long Island, about 10 minutes from the Sound. Throughout my kid years, we vacationed every year in a cabin on a lake in NH (the same lake on which my parents now live). My DH and I have been to a variety of Caribbean Islands. I LOVE the ocean, and love to swim, but can't sit on a beach for hours and hours if it is too hot (although if it is not too hot I can read for hours).

On the flip side, we chose to buy a cabin in the mountains instead of trying to find a beach house (too expensive anyway). And our last 4 vacations have been a mix: Peru, Costa Rica, Italy, Nantucket. Only that last one was a beach vacation.

My family summered at White Horse Beach which was south of Plymouth MA. COLD WATER to swim! Currently live 20 minutes from Satellite Beach FL.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I grew up 30 miles north of NYC. I could walk from my house to the Hudson River in 3 minutes. I used to take my dog there to swim. I did a report in grade school on the brick industry on the lower Hudson with real samples from the shore. There was a little bit of sandy beach but mostly rocks.
Close by were 7 natural lakes, some of which had sand brought in for the state parks. My first sandcastle was built at Sebago Lake.

Living in upstate NY gives me access to all sorts of lakes and natural/man made beaches. My favorite is Lake Ontario, which is more like an inland sea than a lake.

I go there frequently in the summer to a friend's waterfront camp. I volunteer to help with cleaning and maintenance plus bring food and drink.
I am invited there a lot ! :D

Last edited:
Born at Norfolk Naval Hospital, lived my early life at and on VA Beach. Currently spend the summers right outside of Ocean City MD on Assawoman Bay, and winters in Bonita Springs 2 miles off the Gulf of Mexico. So I'd say yes.

I have been confounded by the number of retirees who choose Arizona or Palm Springs, because Beach was always associated with my greatest memories. And many of these are former coastal people.

Beaching right now at our 2nd home in Santa Rosa Beach, FL. We usually get in 4-6 visits per year since we bought the place in 2009. Hope to spend much more time here when FIRE.

I spent Christmas on a beautiful beach in Mexico. It was wonderful. There is something very therapeutic about long morning walks on a fine sand beach, waves breaking around you, sun glistening on the water. Nothing else can match it IMHO.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 19
Just got back from a month stay on "our" Mexico beach... I say "our" because, more often than not, we had miles of sandy shores all to ourselves.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 19
Since folks are posting pictures of recent beach - this is this morning - about 10 minutes from my house.
img_1535768_0_3625eeda76e8cf7c9324d0d88269452f.jpg

Occasionally, for a little variety, but generally finding it more boring than spending time in the mountains.

DW and I went on a great 10k hike on our little Gulf Island today. The beaches here couldn't be more different than the ones in the Baja. Here's a cute one we found today. I love the beaches in both places for different reasons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Those are some conservative looking swim suits.

LOL. I was surprised how many people were in the water. Air temp was right about 50 degrees. Water was probably nippy. I saw a few scuba folks with dry suits... I guess wet suits weren't warm enough.

I was also surprised there were people walking in shorts and barefeet.... I had on a wool sweater and hoody over that. But it was gorgeous, despite the cold.

We've got great beaches in NM. Water? Not so much. :)
1104_psa_new-mexico_017-edit-edit-edit.jpg

Last edited:
I spent Christmas on a beautiful beach in Mexico. It was wonderful. There is something very therapeutic about long morning walks on a fine sand beach, waves breaking around you, sun glistening on the water. Nothing else can match it IMHO.

Sounds great, Meadbh--and I totally agree with you about nothing matching it.

Would you mind sharing where you were in Mexico? :)

Back
Top Bottom