Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As my moniker indicates, I enjoy travel, but I've long since given up trying to see "everything" in a given local. It is much more enjoyable, for me, to get there in the least stressful way and just stay in one location until ready to move on, as opposed to a forced march from attraction to attraction. I've also quit taking so many photos. I realized that carefully documenting my travels was more of a neurotic burden I was carrying than a source of pleasure.

This is my preference and not a criticism of others' preferences.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
The other thing we like about travel is the surprises. Places you either stop at, or end up in for a night or a few days that were not on your radar but provided you with a wonderful experience. Same with different, interesting people that you meet along the way.

In our experience, often the unexpected, unanticipated can bring the most enjoyment and the best memories. And they seem to occur when you least expect it.
Yep - serendipity is a big part of the appeal. And even though I tend to be super prepared when we travel, there are still plenty of surprises. Often good ones - the prep helps avoid many bad ones. And we are usually able to adjust plans or switch priorities on a dime because I've researched enough to have a clue about alternatives.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
"Fernweh". My existence is defined by Fernweh.
Zehr gut...Ich bin weis.

Quote:
I cannot think of anything else yet I remain trapped as a consequence of the somewhat pitiable means I have managed forage to date.
If you can't go big, be like Steve Martin and "Get Small".

Quote:
I pray my health lasts....
A common condition I can assure you. Good luck!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just thought of something else. To parallel the travel activity, I wonder if spectator sports are "inter-subjective" [...]
Spectator sports seem like a pretty good example of an "imagined order". I was waiting for something about spectator sports in the "Sapians" book, but there was nothing. The book talks about how many of history's most potent drivers are inter-subjective imagined orders (law, money, gods, nations), and how without this common imagined framework, humans couldn't cooperate to do all the stuff we have done.

I recall an epiphany I had as a little kid watching the Minnesota Twins when they were in the World Series. I learned that there were people on that team that weren't even from Minnesota, much less Minneapolis or Saint Paul. That was it. I was done with spectator sports. The team continues to live-on, important in the shared imagination of millions, but not with me.

As I read through all of the posts here, it was fun to try and tease apart the reasons people like travel into what might be a spectrum of true enjoyment/fulfillment to just going through the motions for some other purpose.

On the extreme, I wonder if there are those who travel only because they want to show others they've been somewhere exotic. And then there's the avoidance of cognitive dissonance..."I've spend all this time, effort, and money on travel over the years, I'm not going to admit now that I didn't really like it". But it seems like many of those posting here have found authentic reasons to like travel...that chance encounter, getting out of the at-home routine, appreciating the good things at home when you get back, and all of those things that didn't come from the marketing department of some seller of travel.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Found this interesting. Wonder what most international travelers think about this:

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/american-comfort/
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
Found this interesting. Wonder what most international travelers think about this:

Ha! Not in my experience. In general the quality of food and lodging is much superior and the ease and convenience of transportation is way ahead in Europe. Grocery shopping - way better stuff. Every public venue has decent food service and even alcoholic beverages readily available. Always a cafe around to have a nice espresso. Fabulous bakers every corner - stuff like that you just don't get in the US.

I tend to think of them way ahead of us here in terms of lifestyle.

But I think it's really personal what people consider comfortable.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Excerpt from the article:

"I was talking to two friends in their twenties recently, about our travel experiences in foreign parts, and we circled around like an airplane looking for a landing place before we all agreed that foreign parts are all very well, but they’re not… comfortable.

Now, sometimes it’s worth it to endure some discomfort in the name of travel — of seeing new places and broadening your horizons. I put up with an awful lot of it when I was a kid, traveling by train across Europe. It was worth it because I had stuff to see and places to go.

But… In normal life? Every day?"

The author draws a distinction here between "normal life/every day" and what one might expect when traveling abroad.

Anyone who drags around his/her expectations of receiving an American sort of comfort/service level when traveling through or living in other countries around the world is not only naive, but in for a rude awakening.

Americans also pay a hefty price in many ways for those comforts. Not just monetarily, but in quality of life as well.

YMMV
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Ha! Not in my experience. In general the quality of food and lodging is much superior and the ease and convenience of transportation is way ahead in Europe. Grocery shopping - way better stuff. Every public venue has decent food service and even alcoholic beverages readily available. Always a cafe around to have a nice espresso. Fabulous bakers every corner - stuff like that you just don't get in the US.

+1

I'd also add that the pace of life is much more relaxed (especially so in Italy).
Old 10-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

LOL - so many more playgrounds for kids in Europe compared to the US. They are often creative and unique -rarely looks the same. And more often than not there is a cafe nearby where an adult can pick up an espresso or wine or an Aperol Spritzer to sip on while watching the kids play.

I usually think "they're so civilized!"
Old 10-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

“We sit at the apex of civilization, looking down at all of history and thinking it looks a little itchy.”

Ummm, NO.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post

Of course it's different in other countries. One of the reasons I never went out of the USA with my first husband was that I knew he'd want everything up to the standards he enjoyed at home. He would have been throwing $$$ around and complaining a lot.

Think of the people who traveled in the 1800s. Some were hoping to find a better life somewhere else, or were traders. but some were explorers who wanted to explore regardless of hostile climates, slow and sometimes dangerous transportation, bigger language barriers (study of foreign languages wasn't as easy), and scary diseases.

I'm not willing to put up with quite that level of discomfort but the experiences I've had have been well worth some aspects of the trip not being as comfortable as they are at home. And, as was pointed out earlier, some aspects are better. I'd rather stay in a top-rated hotel in India (Indian food 24/7- heaven!) than one anywhere else and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than NYC or Chicago.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

What I don't understand are the American travelers who insist on eating at McDonalds and doing other "American" things when they travel outside the US. If they insist that the whole world be like their hometown, they shouldn't waste their money on travel. (DW watches "House Hunters International", and the number of people on the show who want American-style houses and furnishings is depressing.)

When DW and I travel, we delight in local cuisine, transport and lodging. Often it is superior to what we have at home.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
What I don't understand are the American travelers who insist on eating at McDonalds and doing other "American" things when they travel outside the US. If they insist that the whole world be like their hometown, they shouldn't waste their money on travel. (DW watches "House Hunters International", and the number of people on the show who want American-style houses and furnishings is depressing.)

When DW and I travel, we delight in local cuisine, transport and lodging. Often it is superior to what we have at home.
I'm always amazed to see McDonalds and Starbucks in the heart of the tourist areas. But I guess there is a good reason.

I don't patronize either even in the US.

Local cuisine, lodging and transportation is something we very much enjoy in Europe in addition to the history, old buildings, cities, etc.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #134

Quote:
+1 Some of the things they want are so stupid-Like"I want to be in town but do not want traffic noise". IMO, the stupidest thing is when they need an extra bedroom for"guests". The difference in cost would pay for many nights in a nearby hotel.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #135

Quote:
I'm always amazed to see McDonalds and Starbucks in the heart of the tourist areas. But I guess there is a good reason.
In an effort to help maintain our nearly world leading 38% obesity rate, Mickey D's and Starbucks open franchises in tourist areas to cater to North Americans demanding their junk food fixes while traveling abroad.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
In an effort to help maintain our nearly world leading 38% obesity rate, Mickey D's and Starbucks open franchises in tourist areas to cater to North Americans demanding their junk food fixes while traveling abroad.
I haven't looked to see if customers going in look like they are from North America, or from Europe or tourists from other countries such as Asia or whatever.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #137

Quote:

Totally agree. Also with the sentiment that one's idea of 'comfort' is quite personal. I generally marvel at most of Western Europe at conveniences and how well kept it is. Public transit is amazing. Of course they have had a long time to get it right and the actual size of the place is quite compact compared to the resources available.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:06 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

I am really enjoying this conversation and all the different perspectives. I think travel (esp overseas) is something that you enjoy or you don't, just like any other hobby or interest (lots of people have hobbies, collections and interests that don't interest me at all), which is just fine. Everyone should do what they enjoy, and not everyone enjoys travel. It sounds like alot of people that moved around alot as kids, or traveled nonstop for work no longer see the attraction. Understandable burnout.

DH and I luckily both really enjoy traveling, which is a good thing, since we ER'd and sold our house 2 years ago to go and see the world at our own pace, how and where we want with no set agenda, schedule, or deadlines. We vacationed when working, two 2-week trips a year, but this is so different: fun, invigorating, interesting, eye-opening, even relaxing, and oh yeah, did I say Fun? We feel like kids again! We have met some incredible people, and learned alot about some fascinating places. You do grow more confident in meeting the occasional challenges, and we have always enjoyed learning about history and different cultures and such, so this is truly living the dream for us. If we tried to plan everything out ahead of time, it would feel like one of our vacations when we worked. It is nothing like that. We now have the luxury of time.

We had this dream and plan for years before ER, our friends and family were supportive, but many of them expressed that it was not their cup of tea, like some folks here. That is fine, and I firmly believe there is nothing wrong with any choice about how we spend our time, especially if we are happy.

To suggest that we travel because of ads or being told it is the 'in' thing to do is sort of insulting since it has been our dream for years, but it may be true for some that take an
occasional unwanted trip because of peer pressure or something. I accept that many people are perfectly happy staying close to home. That is not what I want right now, though. Life is short, we are getting older, and we want to see as much of our ever-growing list while we still are able (we don't really have a list!). It is not a contest, it is just having the luxury to finally live our dream (why we saved hard to ER), until we grow weary of it, which I am sure we will one day.

At some point we will be ready to settle down again, but we think we will still want to travel, maybe just less often and more comfortably as we get older. Sone have mentioned that as they cage, and I agree. For now, as some others mentioned, it is such a treat to get a one-way ticket to somewhere in the world that intrigues us each January (after visiting family for the holidays) and take off again for another year playing it by ear as we go. We feel like the world is our oyster, and for now we are having a blast. I completely understand it is not for everyone, but it is for us right now. I think it is that simple.
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:49 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

No for international - "Living oversea's in not so nice locations" for pushing 20ish years - Working international oilfield has ruined the allure of travel for Ms. gamboolgal and I.

Too much abject poverty, corruption, living and experiencing real prejudice and being a potential hostage at any moment, armed guards who may be the ones to fear, crime, real civil anarchy......it's a long depressing list really.

Disappointingly, most but not all, "friendships" end up being a come on for money and "what can you do for me".

It get's old and does wear on one.

God willing in a couple of years, when we come home to Texas after retiring - we will never get another stamp in our passports again.

As to all the folks who love to travel and experience other cultures - we are happy for you and wish you the best.

It's all about living life to the fullest - different strokes for different folks and all that.......

Domestic Travel - Different ballgame and attitude totally - Post Retirement

In our case the experiences we gained working in the locations and conditions we have and are continuing to be in - have made us appreciate the United States and Texas....more than I can put into words......

Ms. gamboolgal and I will drive from our home in Texas on spur of the moment road trips that may last a few days to a few months. Thats when we are not fishing off our dock or skinning hogs and deer to make some good sausage, tending the garden, canning vegetables, competing in IDPA for grins, etc.

All over the USA with no itinerary, no schedule and get to know the back roads, rural America with visits to the major cities after being gone from our home country for near to 20 years....

And hopefully one day, spoiling grand youngin's if our kids ever figure out how all that works....

Life's a Dance and You Learn As You Go......

gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:37 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My brother, whose diet seemed to be mostly meat and potatoes and PB&J sandwiches even as an adult, got sent to India and SE Asia a few times on business. I asked my parents what in the heck he ate over there. They told me my SIL packed his bags with cellophane-wrapped peanut butter and cheese crackers and candy to keep him going. My colleagues in India had a good laugh over that when I was in their offices. They did bring in KFC and Pizza Hut food for many people visiting from the US, but I was thrilled with the cafeteria food.

My brother ER'd at 59 and hasn't been out of the country since.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote