Do You Really Like to Travel?

Just as one minor example; earlier this year in Krakow we explored outside what is 'the general tourist area', and encountered a teenager (maybe 16-17) on a skateboard. He spoke English, we chatted for a while and he gave us some pointers on places we could visit.

He took off, (it appeared he had somewhere he had to get to), and then turned around, came back, with some more ideas.

He was very friendly, helpful, and didn't appear to want us to get the hell out.
hate to break this to you, but Krakow is not Barcelona, and the travel saturation is different in these 2 places.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...elona-adds-to-fears-as-tourism-protests-grow/

Ha

Last edited:
hate to break this to you, but Krakow is not Barcelona, and the travel saturation is different in these 2 places.

Ha

First time I was in Barcelona was 54 years ago, been back a number of times since then, last time was last year, next time is scheduled for 2018.....never had a problem, never felt uncomfortable........if I worried about every a-hole out there I'd never leave the house.

I rest my case :LOL:

But seriously, have you never felt like you were out of place or intruding into other people's areas--perhaps not in a bad way, but even as an object of curiosity? That's amazing if so. We were in a little gasthaus way off the beaten path this summer with another American couple and the silence when we walked in and ordered lunch was palpable. We were quite friendly and respectful (and pretended we were Canadians :)). I and the other guy ordered the local specialty, and if DH had been the one to order it, the locals would still be laughing at him as he found out he is not a big fan of the boiled Schlachtschüssel.
i think you judge by the person. We established a connection with a lady in southern France. She has connected on FB and we will probably see her next time we are there. But the friendly taxi/Uber driver maybe not!

But I agree that unless you have a good grasp of the local language, it's almost impossible to get full context. It's kind of fun trying to bridge the language barrier sometimes.
We find that most people in Europe have a working knowledge of English as long as you are sensitive and speak slowly and clearly articulate. We can do a bit of German and can stumble along in Spanish and French. This might contribute to our differing experience?

Do you really like to travel ? I would have to say yes and no . I enjoy travel and I loved it in my 40's,50's and early 60's . I am now 70 and traveling is getting to be more challenging and expensive since I have to pay extra for making travel easier . I am not ready to close the book on travel maybe just slow it down.

Yes, I really love to travel. I write this from southwestern Utah, far from home, having over the last week and half visited Zion NP, Bryce NP, Grand Staircase Escalante NM, Capital Reef NP, and Natural Bridges NM. I will spend most of the next week in Arches NP and Canyonlands NP.

Actually passports now come in 2 flavors the book and the card the card is cheaper and is really for land and sea borders of the us.

You Global Entry card is also a Federal ID.

I did get a passport card in addition the last time I renewed, since we live along a border.

We find that most people in Europe have a working knowledge of English as long as you are sensitive and speak slowly and clearly articulate. We can do a bit of German and can stumble along in Spanish and French. This might contribute to our differing experience?

I agree there are pockets of the world that have a greater percentages and pockets of English capable speaking population. And I find simple travel related communication typically isn't a problem. It's the more overall casual conversation I find more difficult, and particularly away from the tourist areas. I am thinking more Asia than Europe but the odd situation comes to mind where it's been a challenge even in Europe.

When I travel to a place where English isn't the native language, I make an attempt to learn a few phrases (Good morning, hello, please, thank you, etc.) and open with those. It makes a big difference in how one is treated compared to just starting out in English.

I think the Air Force ruined travel for me. Over the years, I have seen more than a vast majority of Americans will contemplating ever seeing. In the AF, it was pretty simple...as the travel arrangements were made for you and well, you got there on your own (as in, "here's your mission; go over to that jet and get it done.") If we had a crew rest at a new locale, we would try and get an extended ground time so we could go and explore...which was almost always "on the fly". It was fun, adventurous, educational and eventually very tiring. Now, I find travel to be quite bothersome. When I get where I am going, it's great, but the pain of getting there...well, that part sucks.

This reminds me. One of my post-retirement things to do was create a pin map of all the places I have been. I know it will be a pain to try and recall all of the adventures and I will do it eventually, but for now...it's too much like w*rk. :)

When I travel to a place where English isn't the native language, I make an attempt to learn a few phrases (Good morning, hello, please, thank you, etc.) and open with those. It makes a big difference in how one is treated compared to just starting out in English.
I agree! I have a series of little books called "Just Enough". They start out with simple greetings, and the rest is divided by categories such as shopping, drug store, etc.
I used one to get cold medicine in St. Petersburg, Russia.

When you boil it down, what is the essence of "travel", really? The reasons people do it are primarily to experience something quite different from their day-to-day lives, and to escape from the mundane in order to feel a sense of wonder and fascination. It's hard for me to imagine anyone on this board who doesn't want an occasional, fascinating experience that's very different from their regular routine, so in that sense I think we really all do like the uplifting aspects of travel, even if not the "distant journey" aspect of it.

For example, I went with a friend a couple years ago to a place way out in rural Georgia to ride ATVs around a bunch of winding, hilly, dirt trails through the woods. Needless to say, it was a novel experience for both of us and was a huge departure from our daily routine. And it was fascinating to see the whole operation and to interact with the locals and be immersed in their quintessential rural Southern culture for a whole afternoon. We both left there that day feeling so energized and exhilarated, and we had the most interesting conversation in the car on the long drive back home. For us, this wasn't exactly a "travel" experience, since the place was only about 80 miles away, but it still provided a fascinating escape from our regular routines and made us feel like we'd gotten out and experienced a whole new aspect to the world. I think pretty much everyone wants these kinds of experiences from time to time on some level, and travel is essentially just a more distant, more elaborate version of this.

I like planning trips. I really don't like packing, leaving home, leaving my cat. On the day of travel I usually have a mild regret and think of all the things I have to do at home. But once I'm wherever I'm going, I love to travel. I'm always glad I've done it.

I am sort of like you to the extend that I canceled at least two international trips just before going to the airport.

When you boil it down, what is the essence of "travel", really? The reasons people do it are primarily to experience something quite different from their day-to-day lives, and to escape from the mundane in order to feel a sense of wonder and fascination. It's hard for me to imagine anyone on this board who doesn't want an occasional, fascinating experience that's very different from their regular routine, so in that sense I think we really all do like the uplifting aspects of travel, even if not the "distant journey" aspect of it.

For example, I went with a friend a couple years ago to a place way out in rural Georgia to ride ATVs around a bunch of winding, hilly, dirt trails through the woods. Needless to say, it was a novel experience for both of us and was a huge departure from our daily routine. And it was fascinating to see the whole operation and to interact with the locals and be immersed in their quintessential rural Southern culture for a whole afternoon. We both left there that day feeling so energized and exhilarated, and we had the most interesting conversation in the car on the long drive back home. For us, this wasn't exactly a "travel" experience, since the place was only about 80 miles away, but it still provided a fascinating escape from our regular routines and made us feel like we'd gotten out and experienced a whole new aspect to the world. I think pretty much everyone wants these kinds of experiences from time to time on some level, and travel is essentially just a more distant, more elaborate version of this.

Well said. Agree. I guess the issue for many would revolve around the uncomfortableness of long flights and perhaps the expense. Issues, which in my view, don’t negate the points you have made.

Totally agree. The two events that moved us the most were a night time gondola ride through the little back canals in Venice with a tenor and accordion player.
The second was a visit to Monet's home in Giverney to stand where he painted his "Water Lilies". I took a telelphoto picture of DW standing on the Japanese bridge having a private "moment". That picture is "priceless".

Travel seems like something that is "inter-subjective"...

Inter-Subjective things are things like fiat currencies...we all believe, and because we do, they have value...

Yes, I love to travel.

There is indeed some of that "inter-subjective" effect, but I recall that as a kid I read about places and wished I could go there some day. Some people have an innate desire to see new places and different things. Some don't. I do.

I recently told the story of one of my BIL's and his wife who recently spent a few weeks in Germany to visit the wife's sister who resides there permanently. The sister also took them on side trips to Venice and Paris.

They talked about doing this for a long time, and when they finally did it, came back disappointed. They did not care about the foreign food, the culture, scenery... Nothing. They said it was the 1st and also the last time they went to Europe, because it cost so much for what they got out of it. They lost weight on the trip because they could not eat. I don't know what to say.

The more I hear about Beijing the less I want to have to go there. The pollution, the crowds, the traffic, the lack of sanitation all sound awful.

DON'T MAKE ME GO TO CHINA!

I'm no expert, since I've only had one trip to China and that was back in the 90s. Still, despite the negatives we had a wonderful time there. Some of the best meals I've ever eaten, friendly and helpful people (like most places), and great sights to see. Sure, the air pollution was noticeable, but definitely no worse than I've experienced in Los Angeles or Denver.

Try it, you'll like it! :)

These stories remind me of my father, who was not much of a traveller, just 3 or 4 overseas trips. (My mother loved to travel, and frequently did). Anyhow, for their 40th wedding anniversary, I gave my parents a trip to Canada to see me. Dad got awfully anxious and wanted to back out, until my uncle persuaded him otherwise. Much to his surprise (!) he had a wonderful time.

....It's hard for me to imagine anyone on this board who doesn't want an occasional, fascinating experience that's very different from their regular routine, so in that sense I think we really all do like the uplifting aspects of travel, even if not the "distant journey" aspect of it.... I think pretty much everyone wants these kinds of experiences from time to time on some level, and travel is essentially just a more distant, more elaborate version of this.

I know plenty of people who are quite happy and fulfilled and never travel more than fifty miles from where they were born and raised and now live, so I would tend to disagree that "pretty much everyone" wants these kinds of experiences. Yes, they think DH and I are crazy for traveling so much :LOL: and I know they think exactly the opposite of what you've stated above: they think people would prefer to bloom where they are planted and stop looking outside for happiness and adventure. Why, I think there are even people on this board who feel quite happy in their routines and would disagree with you, but they may not be interested in reading a travel thread.

Me? We're trying to decide if we should go to Barcelona and points west next year, and the Galapagos this winter....

I just thought of something else. To parallel the travel activity, I wonder if spectator sports are "inter-subjective".

You see, I believe I have an innate desire to travel, but watching spectator sports bores me out of my mind.

To this day in my life, I have never watched a ball game, basketball, football, soccer, baseball, you name it, nor tennis nor golf, to its completion. I'd rather go watch grass grow while contemplating the meaning of life.

You see, I believe I have an innate desire to travel, but watching spectator sports bores me out of my mind.

+1

(Oh, aside from women's beach volleyball, that is.)

I know plenty of people who are quite happy and fulfilled and never travel more than fifty miles from where they were born and raised and now live, so I would tend to disagree that "pretty much everyone" wants these kinds of experiences. Yes, they think DH and I are crazy for traveling so much :LOL: and I know they think exactly the opposite of what you've stated above: they think people would prefer to bloom where they are planted and stop looking outside for happiness and adventure. Why, I think there are even people on this board who feel quite happy in their routines and would disagree with you, but they may not be interested in reading a travel thread.

I know people like this, as well... my dad being one of them. He has almost zero interest in traveling to faraway places, preferring instead to be at home or at his lake house, tinkering on various projects, watching TV, and going out to eat a few times a week. But that doesn't mean he never wants to have interesting, unique experiences. He's talked excitedly about doing things like a zipline canopy tour in the Blue Ridge mountains, for example. I guess my point is that most everyone seems to crave, on some level, variety and novelty and interesting, fascinating experiences from time to time, even if they are perfectly content going about their normal routines 99 days out of 100. And travel is just a more elaborate way of getting those experiences.

Back
Top Bottom