Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2018, 10:15 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, more so lately. I did a 21 day Baltic and Sweden trip in June and did Paris by meeting a friend there. I echo the group idea - or if you go take small tours. I did just that in Estonia - wanted to hike the bogs, so found a tour and had some social time. I do miss my ex-husband while traveling as he was a great travel companion, however, I love travel enough that I will go alone.

I also did an Alaskan ski trip in March alone, but it was with a tour group. Will also be doing a Grand Canyon hiking trip in September, again 'alone' but with a tour group.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If my DH couldn’t travel it would be cruising only for me.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:04 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

There is no sense dragging someone else to China if they are not interested in going. It would be a waste of money and probably a disaster waiting to happen. Similarly, it doesn’t make sense to stay home and miss out on a trip of a lifetime simply because your wife doesn’t want to go.

Different trips have different objectives. Sounds like you want to travel to China to learn about the culture and the history. You don’t need a companion to do that!

OP, go to China-alone! It is a fascinating place and you will enjoy yourself!
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always wanted to do a "walkabout." I would most likely travel to destination meeting point with a hired guide to actually "get me around." My thoughts lean me toward more remote traveling (think Alaska or Nepal) when I think of traveling alone.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:04 AM   #45
gone traveling

I’m in Ho Chi Minh City and am seeing a ton of solo travelers, both men and women
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #46
gone traveling

Yes for me. Traveling alone is much better than having an annoying sidekick. Have always felt pressure to placate a differing interest for things to do.
Plus, I enjoy chatting with new acquaintances.

Off to Shanghai for 1 week of sights in the region (done Beijing in past) and then to Mandalay for 6 days, Nepal for 7 days (Everest tour), and finally Vietnam tour for 10 days.

Most are ad-lib, not pre-organized.

As to the alone thing, I found it very VERY difficult to organize a trip for two. This trip I tried 2 "retired" friends who travel and got these "actual" quotes:
1. "I'd prefer Tibet, Bhutan, ..."
2. " Nepal scares me..."
3. " Wont step a foot in Vietnam..."
4. "Late Oct is my preference..."
Going alone and refuse to compromise even with the little voices bickering in my head.
misterantsypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleNutCase View Post
Yes for me. Traveling alone is much better than having an annoying sidekick. Have always felt pressure to placate a differing interest for things to do.
Plus, I enjoy chatting with new acquaintances.

Off to Shanghai for 1 week of sights in the region (done Beijing in past) and then to Mandalay for 6 days, Nepal for 7 days (Everest tour), and finally Vietnam tour for 10 days.

Most are ad-lib, not pre-organized.

As to the alone thing, I found it very VERY difficult to organize a trip for two. This trip I tried 2 "retired" friends who travel and got these "actual" quotes:
1. "I'd prefer Tibet, Bhutan, ..."
2. " Nepal scares me..."
3. " Wont step a foot in Vietnam..."
4. "Late Oct is my preference..."
Going alone and refuse to compromise even with the little voices bickering in my head.
Sounds like a great itinerary...and I would have been glad for someone to come up with an itinerary...I'm usually the one doing the planning. I had what I call 'non-negotiables' in that they were sights that were a priority to see. Otherwise, the rest of the time was open. Plus, just because you are traveling together doesn't mean you can't go off by yourself somewhere and then come back to eat dinner or whatever and regale each other of your finds.....
Old 09-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #48

I'm happy to travel alone, and so is DW. We sometimes have very different interests so it makes sense. We love traveling together but that's only about 60% of the time. The rest is solo.

I'd be happy to have a kindred spirit for some of my trips, but none of my friends are what I would call experienced travelers, so they need too much hand holding and I can only take so much of that.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #49
gone traveling

Wow, the last two posts opened up a flood of old Issues. i planned trips in the 80's using an OAG book. For a multi-country trip it required putting together an optimum flight/hotel using printed schedules and plane types. Then calling, yes calling, airlines to book.
After all the labor was done, it often met with second guessing from a cohort who had done zilch. Like "early flights are not something for me, what about later?", and I knew going later would result in long LONG connections. It was hard to stay civil.

The only time I ever went ballistic, I calmly said (verbatim), "let's each work our own plan, and then plan where/if to meet up!" Funny how quickly they felt the crushing feeling of doing their own.

I envy those who have compatible companions. Jealousy is more like it!

BTW, last trip was 3 of us and we decided to take responsibility for 9 each days of the trip. Worked nicely.
misterantsypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleNutCase View Post
After all the labor was done, it often met with second guessing from a cohort who had done zilch. Like "early flights are not something for me, what about later?", and I knew going later would result in long LONG connections. It was hard to stay civil.
I remember the OAG! Great resource- I'd actually travel with a copy of the relevant pages in case I missed a connection- I knew which alternative flights were going out of the connecting airports. My Ex would sit back and let me do all the work and then, conveniently, whatever went wrong was my fault- even bad weather. Second DH was a wonderful travel partner and a mellowing influence. I was the worrier; he was able to roll with the punches.

I was motivated to post because I'm in Hermann, MO, which DH and I loved, and visited every year except for 2016, the year he died. I'm typically the only single at meals in the B&B and I feel that a bit, but the hosts are very nice and I feel like I can bicycle forever on the Katy Trail (did 16 miles yesterday and another 25 this morning). It's different, but you adjust and it does have its advantages since you don't need to worry about whether anyone else is having a good time. It beats staying home!
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #51

I go back to the mid-70s with the OAG. That was my bible and I got to be really good at using it.

We've been doing enough traveling the last few years that I broke down and got an online subscription to it and it has saved me quite a bit of hassle, actually making it worthwhile to maintain the subscription. There's really no substitute.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

It's an interesting question. My wife is still working and I am contemplating some spring travel, sports related, to some places I've never visiting. It seems a tad daunting to go alone but sure I will meet some nice people.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #53

I take a trip to the tucson gem shows each year by myself. For me the main thing to be comfortable with is dining alone, and as a female, being ready to rebuff any potential unwanted advances. I learned how to deal with both while still working on business trips, so it's a non-issue.

If I were traveling solo to a foreign country where I didn't speak the language and could not rely on finding folks to help speak english all around (say, japan outside tokyo), that would require a bit more planning, but these days with google and a phone that's more easily handled.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #54

Shortly after my wife of 30 years died, I felt I just had to "get out of Dodge".. I took a trip on trains around Colorado, then a trip to China, the Trans Siberian Express. and finished off with with a cruise of the Inner Hebrides in Scotland.
After the Scotland trip, I wrote in my trip story "At this point my life is at a crossroads. I have no idea when my next trip is or where it will be to. Time will tell"
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I take a trip to the tucson gem shows each year by myself. For me the main thing to be comfortable with is dining alone, and as a female, being ready to rebuff any potential unwanted advances. .
I wish I had to rebuff advances when I travel alone. :-(

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yeah....the only inquires I get are the concerned ones. 'Sir...are you okay?' 'Can I call someone to help get you back home?' j/k...but it's probably coming.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
If you like to be a solo traveler, why do you need to interact a lot with other travelers?
Yeah some of the responses confuse me .... if your going with a tour group your not traveling alone.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

That's what you think. Strangers who "advance" upon lone travelers are not generally the ones you would choose, and their agendas tend to be suspect.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Notice she keeps her options open.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
That's what you think. Strangers who "advance" upon lone travelers are not generally the ones you would choose, and their agendas tend to be suspect.
Yes. Men, consider yourselves lucky to not get this. When you're a women alone, let's just say it's not rare that the stranger isn't thrilled when you gently turn them down. You spend the rest of your stay hoping they don't end up in your elevator or on your floor in the hotel.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote