Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
just realize that there is no going back after you have done the lay flat beds. Even Premium Economy won't do.
I agree! It started when DH and I got upgraded with miles to Business Class on the way home from Edinburgh in October, 2001. Yeah, nobody was traveling so we were able to do that. He was over 6 feet tall. Not sure if it was the nice, big seats, the refills of Bombay Sapphire or the made-to-order ice ream sundaes that hooked him, but after that we used miles to fly in Business if we could. We eventually quit using Coach on long hauls- just took too long for him to get back to normal.

Now that he's gone, I still fly Business Class. It's only half the cost if just one person flies. Who knew? I've started dating again and I've joked that one requirement for a new man is that he can pay his own way in Business Class on long hauls.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've started dating again and I've joked that one requirement for a new man is that he can pay his own way in Business Class on long hauls.
What price love? Just make sure he’s willing to fly coach while you sit up front if he can’t afford BC. You’ll still have someone to share the trip with when you get there.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
What price love? Just make sure he’s willing to fly coach while you sit up front if he can’t afford BC. You’ll still have someone to share the trip with when you get there.
Yep, my thoughts exactly!

I got used to flying business class on transatlantic flights too and there is no turning back. Thankfully, I will do a lot less long haul flying once I move to Europe and it will cut thousands from my budget.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
LOL. This happened to a seat mate when I was on an ORD-PDX flight. I was middle seat. Man & wife on aisle & window. She was a tiny thing. She gets upgraded to FC. He is looking longingly up there....1 row away. LOL Meanwhile I'm now stuck next to John Candy (like) on the aisle. He polished off a gut bomb, a salad and a snack before we taxied out. The City of Broad shoulders indeed. Big fella
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Yes, by all means,
Old 11-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #105
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes, by all means,

I travel without my wife all the time, as my bucket list is much larger than hers, and she has more commitments at home (church, choir etc)

I just got back from a solo trip to Copenhagen and Dublin using Norweigian Air, one of the newer discount airline that flies out of Denver and has some great rates.

It (traveling alone) is not for everyone -- my recommendation would be to join a tour as you will not be alone all of the time and with like minded travelers.

I have done several tours that welcome solo travel -- In the US, Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) welcomes solo travelers.....but sometimes, I travel without the structure of a tour --

Bottom line, if you want to see the world and your spouse or significant other does not, bite the bullet and go by yourself....my travels have been all rewarding, significant, and I have no regrets....
joedil is offline   Reply With Quote