Join Early Retirement Today

Does applying for a credit card for free travel really work?
Old 06-11-2021, 08:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Does applying for a credit card for free travel really work?

I'm meeting family in the island of Martinique in the Caribbean in January. Currently plane tickets are about $1000/person! I guess not a common travel destination from the US

I keep hearing of people using credit card miles for travel but I haven't been using miles, I get 2% cash back, last time I had a card that did miles was decades ago and it was a pain to redeem.

It looks like some credit cards have a 100K miles sign up bonus (must spend $4K in the first 3 months).

If I sign up would I be able to apply the sign up bonus for a flight on American Airlines? Is there a way for both my wife and I to sign up and each get the bonus or would they only allow 1 per household?

Our credit is excellent and income good (still working) so I would expect to qualify.
BlueberryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Depending on timing of your travel plans, you may not get the miles in time. Check the terms of the offer. It may say something like the miles getting credited within, say, 45 days after you've spent the required minimum amount.
Or, it might be the miles are credited within a certain timeframe after the 90 day period, regardless of how soon you've charged the required amount.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueberryPie View Post
I'm meeting family in the island of Martinique in the Caribbean in January. Currently plane tickets are about $1000/person! I guess not a common travel destination from the US

I keep hearing of people using credit card miles for travel but I haven't been using miles, I get 2% cash back, last time I had a card that did miles was decades ago and it was a pain to redeem.

It looks like some credit cards have a 100K miles sign up bonus (must spend $4K in the first 3 months).

If I sign up would I be able to apply the sign up bonus for a flight on American Airlines? Is there a way for both my wife and I to sign up and each get the bonus or would they only allow 1 per household?

Our credit is excellent and income good (still working) so I would expect to qualify.
If you are thinking of the Chase Sapphire Premier card offer it is better yet: If you use the Chase travel site the 100,000 points are worth $1250.00 in travel booked through their site. My comparison a couple years back showed the Chase travel site prices to be pretty equivalent to regular booking sites.
Also, in my experience, Chase is quite quick in having the rewards post - more like within a few days of paying off the $4000. Other banks (looking at you Citi and BofA) have been painful - Chase easy.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yes to the question in the title.

Yes to the first question in the OP as long as the card is either one which accrues AA miles, *or* the card is one which accrues generic credit card miles or points (Like Chase Ultimate Rewards or Citi Thank You Points), *or* the card accrues points or miles which can be transferred to AA miles.

Yes to the last question in the OP about two bonuses. It is per person, not per household.

Very generally speaking, the bonus points or miles are awarded within a week after the statement closing date on which you reach the bonus spend.

Many people do Chase cards first because they have some of the juiciest signups in the industry and they have something called the 5/24 rule, which alludes to 5 new cards in the last 24 months.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

Yes each person can sign up for one of these credit cards (CC)

In the past I've signed up for this CC and the CC's from American and United. We have flown free to Hawaii, Barcelona, and a couple of other States.

The airline miles do work, but not as convenient as the Chase rewards. With Airline miles, you have to book as early as possible as the free seats are limited in number especially the lowest cost point ones.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:05 AM   #6

Before DW and I retired and before pandemic, we applied Chase credit cards (2 Reserved, 2 Preferred) and acquired enough points to fly to Asia and England free.

I got a Bank of America Merrill Lynch card, and flew to Asia once free. We also got Southwest cards with companion status and flew within US few times free.
Now that we are retired with no income and we can't get any cards anymore.

So, it is possible to fly free. Do it while you are still earning good salary.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
Before DW and I retired and before pandemic, we applied Chase credit cards (2 Reserved, 2 Preferred) and acquired enough points to fly to Asia and England free.

I got a Bank of America Merrill Lynch card, and flew to Asia once free. We also got Southwest cards with companion status and flew within US few times free.

We've been retired for years and get cards no problem.
Our income is from savings and IRA's and when they ask income/yr I always answer $111,000

Income is also Roth Conversions, interest, dividends, etc

Are you sure you have no income, how do you get groceries
Old 06-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #8

I used to do the credit card churn to rack up miles, but it has its challenges.

For example, you discover that more desirable flights are either blacked out entirely for booking with points, or require many more points than flights at other times. For me, using points to fly got to be more hassle than it was worth. I switched to a cash-back card which gives me the flexibility to use the cash earned for flights or anything else I choose.

A couple of good sites to help navigate points and travel are:

https://millionmilesecrets.com/

https://thepointsguy.com/
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Same here. When I apply for a card, I list occupation as “retired” and give a figure for income that is the equivalent of our withdrawl rate. I’ve never had a problem getting approved.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Same here. When I apply for a card, I list occupation as “retired” and give a figure for income that is the equivalent of our withdrawl rate. I’ve never had a problem getting approved.
+1
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post

You have a credit history - everyone does. There should be no reason you can't get a credit card or borrow money. As for income - if you are withdrawing from savings, that is income. If you pay income taxes, you have income.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote:
If I were you, I'd apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card right away and immediately start working on the $4,000 spend requirement. Front-load your spending as much as possible, so you'll get the bonus more quickly. Any big purchases you've been otherwise planning to make over the next 6-9 months, put them on the card as soon as you get it.

Quote:
If I sign up would I be able to apply the sign up bonus for a flight on American Airlines?
Yes, depending on the specific card you get. Various cards have large signup bonuses you can use to purchase flights from any carrier (including American) through their special travel portal. Other cards reimburse you for any/all travel expenses after they occur by issuing statement credits.

Quote:
Is there a way for both my wife and I to sign up and each get the bonus or would they only allow 1 per household?
Yes. You and your wife would each apply for a travel rewards card. It's very likely you could then end up both flying for free (or nearly free) to Martinique. Just remember to only spend on things you would have otherwise purchased anyway while trying to achieve the signup bonus!

Go to this website, read up, and learn. Travel reward cards are your friend.
https://thepointsguy.com/credit-cards/travel/
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Our income is from savings and IRA's and when they ask income/yr I always answer $111,000

Income is also Roth Conversions, interest, dividends, etc

Are you sure you have no income, how do you get groceries
Ah, you are right. I was thinking earned income. We do have other income though we made it low to be eligible for ACA subsidy.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:36 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're in an Alaska Airlines travel area, look onto the Alaska Airline VISA card. Annual fee of $75 and you get a free companion fare anywhere they fly. Between my husband and I, we have 3 cards and save many $$$ on trips to Hawaii and Costa Rica. Both my daughters have one each and make good use of their companion fares.
ItsAllGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yes. Last year we signed up for three credit cards. They all gave airline points on signup and waived the premium fees for the first year.

End result...we added 90.000 points to our depleted airline points account. Cancelled all three cards prior to the renewal date. Our credit score remains the same-varies between 838 and 850. No idea why. This is the second time in five years or so that we have done this.

We cancelled a hotel card. No point in paying the premium when we are not travelling. We will sign up when we start travelling. One year forgive on the fee plus a pile of points.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #16

If you want the latest on sign-up bonuses, check out doctor of credit. The section on sign-up bonuses is detailed, and user comments add more (successes and problems).

Always having excellent credit, I was surprised to see "we couldn't offer you the best rate" on my homeowners policy. That happened right after both of us got cards with huge limits and charged a bunch to get the bonuses. This was in the days before you could easily get your credit score. The insurance hit was tiny, so no big deal.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
I haven't paid for a Southwest airlines ticket since 2011
Old 06-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't paid for a Southwest airlines ticket since 2011

I haven't paid for a Southwest airlines ticket since 2011. It works. I have also been able to use points for family vacations and a first class trip to Europe twice. So yes it works. I put everything on the card-my favorite is Saaphire preffered although the Mad Fientist Blog will tell you which cards are best for your travel goals. It takes some learning but its soooo worth it. I also used a service to book my trip to Europe. I didnt know airports and such. That was $100 per ticket. There is a guy who does a free course-I cant link to it cuz it looks like spam but it's 2 guys that do it for fun-Travel Miles 101. They booked my Europe flight_i do all the other flights. BTW-My credit score is over 800-it went up after getting the cards-and I pay a yearly fee for the sapphire prefereed but I more than make up for it.
Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there a chase site I can go to see how chase ultimate rewards work to buy airline tickets? Is it a points to dollars amount or is it frequent flier miles which are nigh impossible to use?
BlueberryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is there a chase site I can go to see how chase ultimate rewards work to buy airline tickets? Is it a points to dollars amount or is it frequent flier miles which are nigh impossible to use?
If you already have a Chase UR card, then you should already have access to the travel site.

If not, it's just a site that you go and search for flights, rental cars, and hotels. Prices are pretty much the same as what you can get elsewhere.

UR points convert to 1 cent per point, or 1.25 or 1.5 cents per point depending on how fancy of a UR card you happen to hold. (I think it's CSR is 1.5 and CSP is 1.25. But please double check that part because I've been out of the Chase UR realm for a while.)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:31 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllGood View Post
If you're in an Alaska Airlines travel area, look onto the Alaska Airline VISA card. Annual fee of $75 and you get a free companion fare anywhere they fly. Between my husband and I, we have 3 cards and save many $$$ on trips to Hawaii and Costa Rica. Both my daughters have one each and make good use of their companion fares.
I live in the Alaska Airlines footprint and most of my travel is inside of their footprint. I keep all my frequent flyer miles as Alaska Air miles. However, Alaska is part of the Oneworld alliance, which includes American. I travel on mileage tickets on American codeshare flights a couple times a year. I've found that using Alaska to book mileage seats on
American is a more flexible option than booking through American directly. Alaska's Oneworld partners include British Airways and Iceland air, which are two other partners I've flown mileage tickets with, booked through the Alaska site.

Chase points aren't "real" airlines miles and don't have the flexibility and availability of "real" airlines miles. As a credit card and as a rewards program, Chase is probably the best there is. I use a Chase Freedom and Chase Ink card extensively to earn rewards. The Chase Sapphire is a better card than the BoA AlaskaAir visa, but Alaska miles are perhaps a better option if you specifically want to earn mileage tickets on American. You might research it both ways.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote